• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

pin-modding question

iceredwing

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 24, 2007
Messages
3,822
So I recently decided to do a pin-mod on my girlfriend's xps m140 laptop, it use to have the pentium m 1.73ghz processor on it. I used a pentium m 725 and successfully pinmodded it to 2.16ghz stable. The problem is I noticed that it is always at 2.13ghz and never enables speedstep to kick in. So the battery is dying substantially faster than it use to, does anyone know if that is always the case or if speedstep should still be working?
 
By doing the pin mod you have hardwired the BSEL pins, these are the pins that choose the cpu buss speed and by hardwiring them you prevent speedstep from being able to change the operating frequency. Normally the multiplier is also reduced but I think the BSEL mod has afffected that too. You can look into what capabilites your processor has in the links provided on the page below. But in short I beleive you have already figured it out and I agree with you, the pin mod screws up speedstep. How it messes up the ability for it to reduce CPU voltage and muliplier is unclear to me but careful persural of the data sheets for the CPU and chipset should give big clues.

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-028855.htm
 
hmm i thought it would work, because if you disable to speedstep feature in the bios it will force the CPU to stay at its lowest state. And when I do that, it underclocks to the normal 800mhz so I figure it should work since it can still change it's multiplier... just not on the fly apparently.
 
Yea, I thought some more about it and I too do not see why it would not work. Trouble is I am not up on laptops and that cpu. Guess there is no chance some windows setting is getting in the way ?
 
Back
Top