Pillars of Eternity - *Official Discussion Thread*

Some of the diff settings can't be changed mid game.

i wouldn't mind a bit of a queue system so i can say give a wizard a few commands, like cast his protection spell, then start a few direct single target damage spells so that after the fight is going i can go back to them and then start more controlled spells that have AoE where i need to direct them and enemy movements are sort of settled by that point.

it does get a bit annoying having to pause every few seconds to see who is done with their spell casting to recast something new, while i do i like i need to manage them and they don't just use spells or abilities on their own having a way to chain some together to reduce the micro would be nice.

You can queue commands by holding shift while you select the different commands (it then sets them up in a queue)

Top Ten Steam Game that isn't Skyrim !!
Sun 29th stats

777,299 946,797 Dota 2
506,676 510,659 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
84,081 87,175 Team Fortress 2
67,577 67,577 Football Manager 2015
58,490 60,453 Sid Meier's Civilization V
56,748 57,712 Garry's Mod
47,590 47,590 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
42,259 42,259 Arma 3
41,621 42,367 Warframe
40,699 40,699 Pillars of Eternity
38,417 39,517 PAYDAY 2

I just read a great tip to help out starting wizards with limited spell selection vs other casters early on. Once you get to the inn you can hire generic wizards, steal their grimoires and learn their spells and keep their books for additional casting capacity. Then just kick out the hireling. voila, now you have more spells in combat than that anemic single grimoire.

Top Ten Steam Game that isn't Skyrim !!
Sun 29th stats

777,299 946,797 Dota 2
506,676 510,659 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
84,081 87,175 Team Fortress 2
67,577 67,577 Football Manager 2015
58,490 60,453 Sid Meier's Civilization V
56,748 57,712 Garry's Mod
47,590 47,590 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
42,259 42,259 Arma 3
41,621 42,367 Warframe
40,699 40,699 Pillars of Eternity
38,417 39,517 PAYDAY 2

Can't forget that the true number is higher with many on GOG.

I got lucky and picked a couple of strong early abilites for my main character who is a chanter.

Corpse explosion does high damage and the AOE is not friendly fire.

and the Phantom summon is beastmode. It will outlast your party and it hits hard.

I also made a really badass damage tank, by hiring a level 2 and then creating her from scratch.

high might, high constitution, really high dexterity. High endurance with low endurance build up in combat (due to high athletics).
heals herself and party with an Aura (because she's a moon godlike), if her endurance drops under 3 different thresholds.
punishes physical statuses for extra damage. (such as the "slick" ability from wizards). Has a physical attack which causes a physical status (hobble), allowing her to take advantage of her own bonus.
and I gave her "hold the line" which allows her to engage two targets at once. Which means if they try to move away from her (such as aggroing to another character) it's considered fleeing and she gets a critical strike or something.

she's a badass. Her and my chanter's phantom get a lot of business done.

Mind you, this is all before talking to the woman at the tree ; )

the only thing I read up on was "hold the line". I didn't know what it was for, so I watched a short video from he devs in which they actually model it with real table top figures.

18 hours in, stuck on many quests, tasks and the other....hints to find the item/person is not enough.

About 5 hours in so far. Only bugs I've seen are text bugs and a weird bug where when you target a party member, sometimes the caster will run way off screen to cast on the ground then come back.

I'm glad to see people are troubleshooting issues with 32 bit OS now rather than 64 bit. ;)

This game completely ate my weekend. Been craving this type of game for a while. Games like Skyrim or Fallout scratch the RPG itch a little, but not in a fulfilling way like this game with good tactical elements.

Difficulty is unforgiving enough that you have to plan out your abilities strategically, looking for synergy. Crazy how dangerous AOE spells can be in this game, especially ones with long cast times. Learn the hard way not to try and cast them if you've been spotted but before the battlefield has settled. Do wish there was another indicator circle that showed how close the caster needs to be to the area of effect indicator to cast, annoying seeing a caster go full Leroy Jenkins and run in front of your melee line to cast something. Find it's better to use their first cast for a buff or single target debuff, then think about AoE.

Playing Cipher, pretty fun. Although it did lead to an unoptimal party compliment early. Since most of the early companions your find are also magic types, when I first decided to add some custom I did a couple melee chars (paladin + barb). Should really have added at least one high perception trap/hidden room character. A -2 levels to the rest of the party Paladin that has side classed into finding and disabling traps makes them fairly useless on the front line.

Be aware that you should at this point, NEVER double click to equip items. It removes your active effects on your main character permanently.

fresh mind, tasks completed, just quests left. I'm under my fortress exploring. :D

What level are you? I felt like I needed to lvl through the main quest a tad before i started to go deeper.

Normal Difficulty my character level when i started it was around lvl 3-4 Monk/Paladin/Priest/Druid/Wizard/Priest

Monk set up to off tank/dps
Paladin set up for main tank
Priest was set up for close range to provide combat heal aoe's
druid set up for close range off-tank with bear form and for combat heals and close support dps aoe spells
2nd priest Durance set up for long range heals
Wizard set up for ranged dps

I had 2 priests because i was keeping Durance with me for awhile, since he had a travel with him quest.

some more details in spoilers encase someone does not want to know too much about the area
By the time i got as far as i could go before i hit a quest requirement wall i was around character lvl6-7. I pretty much made it through cleaning each level down to area lvl 13, a few places were very hard, i would do a fight and i might get wiped but i would just reload and try a different tactic until i finally won, some fights did get crazy hard tho, but i never had to actually leave to level up. I only left to pick up more camp kits and start heading deeper. Eventually i hit a quest wall and could not continue without going through the main story so i finally had to leave. so damn close to the end and they put that blocker in lol. I was using this as a chance to improve my stronghold as well, i think the only time i actually took a break from the depths was when i finished building the warden house for the stronghold and he gave me the 4 bounties to go collect was able to do 3 of them but have not been to the 4th's zone yet to do that one so after turning in those 3 bounties i went back to my endless paths adventure.

Last edited:
I dare some idiot to talk shit about this game. How long have we waited for this fellas? Jesus, this goes to show i wasn't just losing touch all those years that I used to talk shit about what a game could be. This game is a testament to what can be accomplished if enough like-minded people focus on a goal. I have one thing left to say. FUCK YOU CONSOLE's, FUCK YOU AAA PUBLISHERS, FUCK YOU.

I dare some idiot to talk shit about this game. How long have we waited for this fellas? Jesus, this goes to show i wasn't just losing touch all those years that I used to talk shit about what a game could be. This game is a testament to what can be accomplished if enough like-minded people focus on a goal. I have one thing left to say. FUCK YOU CONSOLE's, FUCK YOU AAA PUBLISHERS, FUCK YOU.

Word, what this guy said. This game is freakin awesome! I love the old school party building and isometric view and combat. This is a long time coming and worth the wait. I think older PC gamers will appreciate this game more as the younger generation may not have had the chance to experience these types of games because PC's by then were much better equipped for 3D graphics and that whole craze started.

Everything comes full circle. Let the Renaissance of PC Gaming Rise!

Unfortunately this game may be under-appreciated due to its Isometric view in a world that 3D is norm.

Not saying it's a bad thing, in fact, I think isometric is perfect for RPG's.

You can queue commands by holding shift while you select the different commands (it then sets them up in a queue)

I have not been able to get this to work.

It also seems like sometimes a character will drop a command and not do anything.

Something I really appreciate about this game is how much the differences matter, between weapon types. And how you end up needing to exploit the differences all the time. You don't just find a powerful weapon and then use it for 3 hours until the next most powerful comes along.

Last edited:
why o why did they not do tun base or go full real time and have ai......the combat fuckign sucks. i tell my guy to do stuff and some times he runs the other way or just stands their

why o why did they not do tun base or go full real time and have ai......the combat fuckign sucks. i tell my guy to do stuff and some times he runs the other way or just stands their

I think you're doing it wrong. But seriously, if you've never played this type of game before, it takes a bit to get accustomed to it. But once you do, you will love it!

It also seems like sometimes a character will drop a command and not do anything.

Something I really appreciate about this game is how much the differences matter, between weapon types. And how you end up needing to exploit the differences all the time. You don't just find a powerful weapon and then use it for 3 hours until the next most powerful comes along.

yeah i have noticed that as well, some times it works and other times it doesn't it could be that they get stunned or interrupted and then it resets the queue maybe?

If you select your character to activate a skill on a a target, you are effectively only sending order to that character, and your other characters would not have received any orders, and would just stand there.

would not have minded a full turn based mode, but the real time part of the game is indeed a little lacking, it seems that by the time you finished sending commands to everyone in your party, you have either: 1. Paused the game, 2. The battle is over.

The AoE spells are also very tedious to use, they do not cast the spells on top of targets you click on, but on the area you hit on, so often you have to cast it in the middle, or cast it on an NPC that will not move (EG rangers). Casting directly on top of a melee at the start of combat I have found almost guarentees a miss.

I think you're doing it wrong. But seriously, if you've never played this type of game before, it takes a bit to get accustomed to it. But once you do, you will love it!

This isn't true, i've never been a fan of this sort of real time combat no matter how many i games i play with it. Most recently i tried to force my way through DA:O 25 hours in i stopped because i hated it.

For that reason i just decided to play through this game on easy but i'm still managing to enjoying as it's really good even though i don't care for the combat.

This isn't true, i've never been a fan of this sort of real time combat no matter how many i games i play with it. Most recently i tried to force my way through DA:O 25 hours in i stopped because i hated it.

For that reason i just decided to play through this game on easy but i'm still managing to enjoying as it's really good even though i don't care for the combat.

this give me a full tb rpg like fallout or wasteland any day of the week or make it a action rpg whit. this kind of combat is the worst there it for me. that said its still a fun game but i think just about every one would agree tb is better then rtwp

also im playing it though on hard and it may get better as i get farther in but most fights all my guys just auto attack and i save most my spells for the harder fights and have my priest pop off a heal every once and a while

btw doa combat was fine it did rtwp right along whit a lot of other games its just some thing doesn't fell right to the combat though it is a bit better in slow mode

I hadn't used the queuing but I saw the pop up hint ... I saw a comment on the obsidian forums that clarifies how it works ... http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73...n-queuing-demystified-and-some-possible-bugs/

I feel the exact same way and I did the same thing with DA:O...everytime I try to go back to it, the combat kills it for me

and thats why when the time comes, I'll buy Divinity original sin for the turnbased combat...the combat in POE reminds me of a real time strategy game..thats fine for armies but it sucks for individual characters and I lose all immersion with it

but i think just about every one would agree tb is better then rtwp

Torment, I believe, did a poll for their backers. It was almost dead even. From what I can tell some people hate one or the other but the majority of people are indifferent or enjoy both. I like both myself.

Encountered my first bug last night. The insect plague spell the druids cast. During the battle my character got knocked out. Didn't stand back up when the other two did. Still had the bugs swarming a few guys and damaging them so decided to rest thinking that would clear the effect. It stayed. Visual is gone after a reload but the -20 to concentration is still on a few guys. Very annoying.

i hit a pretty nasty main plot bug last night, and really did no feel like loading a previous save, decided i wanted to restart but on the hardest diff. setting. seems better so far with more enemies on some some encounters.

i hit a pretty nasty main plot bug last night, and really did no feel like loading a previous save, decided i wanted to restart but on the hardest diff. setting. seems better so far with more enemies on some some encounters.

What bug?

you noobs were told is going to be like this when they referenced baldur's gate. :rolleyes:

What bug?

Temple of Woedica, "never far from the queen"
I ran through it killing everyone since they attacked me for not wearing the ritual mask and entered the main room with the whole party when you are supposed to do it solo and it never triggered the spirit world stuff when looting the bodies to finish the quest so everyone in the area is dead but i can not continue it, it just sits on "investigate the leaden key's activities" i was over leveled for the area thanks to my endless path adventure earlier so it was no trouble to just kill them all.

You are supposed to be able to finish it even when killing everyone and looting a body is supposed to trigger the spirit event but it never happened, did not realize it was bugged and never completed it until i was off doing other stuff and checked my journal and went back to the area and there was nothing i could do.

Went to the first dungeon in I forget the town name stuck on puzzles ect... have three party members the mage at the Inn is pretty nice spells are really nice looking selling stuff at the blacksmith shop leveling is pretty slow just like Baldur's Gate.

I adjusted the gamma on my Nvidia control panel seems to be working out better for me not too high I like running my monitors dark. My Prima guide should be in the mail today.

This is one of my favorite games in my Steam collection right now...

Go back to the inn and hire a mercenary, (takes you to character creation). Make a few companions, like chanter and paladin or something. Having five in the party really helped out quite a bit, specially the tank.

The Key to everything =) Cheaper then the digital edition too =) I'll only use if if I'm really stuck

Picture%203_zpsgvwyseaw.jpg

one thing i noticed, pistol and other guns suck compared to the hunting/war bows. it may be high damage but the reloading takes forever, even with talents. my hunter and fighter and get off 3 shots by the time a pistol is ready to fire again.

http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/30rso5/ranged_weapon_dps_some_rough_numbers/

From that thread, range weapon damage really depends on the enemy's Damage Reduction.

if you look at their chart. top weapon and times bow damage by 3, you get 2.4. bows are still better.

vs 15 DR enemy
2.4 - Arbalest w/ gunner talent
2.2 - Arquebus w/ gunner talent
2.2 - Arbalest
2.0 - Pistol w/ gunner talent
2.0 - Arquebus
1.9 - Pistol
1.2 - Blunderbuss w/ gunner talent
1.1 - Blunderbuss
1.0 - Crossbow w/ gunner talent
0.9 - Crossbow
0.8 - Hunting bow
0.8 - Warbow

EDIT: I neglected to take into account the interrupt values of the weapons. Bows definitely win here, especially the Hunting Bow, as not only are they hitting at around twice the rate (~3x for the Hunting Bow) but their interrupt value is also higher than firearms (though not higher than Arby and Xbow.) Not sure how good interrupt is practice, but it may be viable make an interrupt build around the Hunting Bow.

Back