Pillars of Eternity - *Official Discussion Thread*

I don't see how more options can ever be considered a bad thing. Let people tailor the game to their preferences without having to go to ini files or the like.

Agreed. It's a single player game so it's not like having options is a bad thing at all. It can be in multiplayer games though (e.g. BF series with hardcore and normal modes).

PoE is scoring stellar reviews across the board, great result for Obsidian!

The Escapist - 5/5
PC Gamer - 92/100
IGN - 9.0/10
MMORPG.com - 9.0/10

No sign of the usual naysayers in this forum who insist on hating on every Kickstarter related game.

I'm sure Paradox is thrilled too since this is the second hit they have in a month (Cities: Skylines being also well reviewed and selling very well)

I feel like an idiot for not realizing until yesterday how close this game came to never being made, after the previous publisher abandoned it and left the developers to rot. It's a pretty remarkable story if you Google it further.

Let's face it these moments of good guy developer delivering something that fans asked for, and doing it knowing it would be outside of the more mainstream and "safe" genres publishers prefer, these moments are preciously scarce and so they deserve the support and worthy of every bit of the praise they're getting for it. Most old school genres are simply not cash cows in this console driven age.

I took a quick look through it since I got the Royal Edition. I'm not a fan of the writers at Prima, but it looks like this guide is actually pretty good. The layout, descriptions, and production all look top-notch. I think it would definitely be worth getting the hard cover, especially since it's being produced in limited numbers.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I only have 3-4h on this game, but I feel like it should be possible to reduce the AoE of spells if you want to, say using the mouse wheel to manipulate the radius/arc. You could optionally couple it to a resource such as casting time/recovery too, to provide more tactical depth.

The whole 'the bonus radius is Foe AoE' (yellow section) is already quite weird, and how many know about the two second rule when attacking from stealth (or is that rogue only)? (without reading the manual). Or that you can stack actions with shift.

Last edited:
I only have 3-4h on this game, but I feel like it should be possible to reduce the AoE of spells if you want to, say using the mouse wheel to manipulate the radius/arc. You could optionally couple it to a resource such as casting time/recovery too, to provide more tactical depth.

The whole 'the bonus radius is Foe AoE' (yellow section) is already quite weird, and how many know about the two second rule when attacking from stealth (or is that rogue only)? (without reading the manual). Or that you can stack actions with shift.

i think the 2 second rule is for rogues, sort of how they get their sneak damage but does not have to be from sneaking, you are just more likely to get hits off within the first 2 seconds if you are the one opening the attack from stealth.

I'm having an issue with Endless Paths of Od Nua Level 13. Hoping someone can help me out.

None of the spirits have any dialog, they all ignore me. I can't open the door at the end of the map by the spirit. According to this guide, I'm supposed to push the platform in the middle, but there's nothing for me to push. I'm assuming I need to open the door to get the spirit to tell me the password to the main chamber.

Any thoughts?

Someone in the official forums wanted a Sokka and Toph portrait so i put those together quickly for those interested.

Toph
BUQqVP1.png
8NwZoYi.png

Sokka
DLH05fR.png
eTTx2BJ.png

Zuko
f6krtTy.png
0YBFIDP.png

^nice work.

Makes me think Steam Workshop support would've been perfect here for community-sourcing portrait packs. Oh well, I'm sure standalone portrait packs will trickle out in short order.

I have hundreds from Legend of Grimrock II but gotta check to see if they can be bulk resized.

Hadn't come across any really hard fight until the spore-people. Damned. I may have to come back later.

There's at least one 100 portrait pack out there already.

If you have a 144hz monitor make sure you turn it on in game settings.

I wonder how good this game would look on a 4K panel?

I can only see options for 120hz resolutions though, I don't see any options for either 60 or 144hz.

Initially I thought it was GeDoSaTo forcing the game to run on Windowless border mode, as I have that on specifically for FF13 (looks much better that way, and G-Sync is off for that game anyhow), but after disabling GeDoSaTo it still would only show 120hz resolutions, which got me to think if this game is a windowless border game...

For those wondering, so far in the brief moments I have with the game, I have no issues with running the game at 5120x2880 on a single 970.

^ good to know. That's the exact resolution and GPU I was going to try it with tonight.

Though I'll admit, I don't think I see the difference between 5k and 1440p in that game :p

Bound the camera up/down/left/right to WASD instead of the arrow keys. Recommended. MUCH better.

Good like planescape torment good?

Good like MotB good. Better than BG and BG2 so far, but only 8 hours in, plus 40 hours of Beta. It's definitely well written and quite entertaining.

Torment writing good? Maybe when I finish, but not yet. Comparable and better than 95% of games, at least.

Hadn't come across any really hard fight until the spore-people. Damned. I may have to come back later.

There's at least one 100 portrait pack out there already.
I'm definitely getting my ass kicked left and right in this game (mostly due to my incompetence :p), but I'm having a lot of fun. Probably should've read the manual... would've made some things a lot simpler from the get go. :eek:

I've only encounter a few minor bugs, but nothing that would deter from the experience.

I'm definitely getting my ass kicked left and right in this game (mostly due to my incompetence :p), but I'm having a lot of fun. Probably should've read the manual... would've made some things a lot simpler from the get go. :eek:

I've only encounter a few minor bugs, but nothing that would deter from the experience.

What difficulty are you playing?

I never knew people would get so upset for people sharing portraits, but it seems that's happened on the PE forums.

Some people asking for others to give credit to the artist or not post portrait "packs" and things or "cropped" pics (IE so they can actually be used in game).

I can understand an artist wanting "credit" for their own artwork, but seriously think realistically, when people search for this kind of thing and find it on google images, etc there's a GOOD chance that it's not going to have the artist listed and they have 0 way of knowing who the artist is.

I just never seen people that seem to get so upset over it, as though the people sharing the artwork for others to use in a video game were somehow being harmful to them or had some nefarious plan against the artwork to allow other players to use it for a portrait that somehow would hurt them. Just simply ask them to credit you in the post or link to your artwork, wouldn't that be the most helpful thing?

Don't recall this kind of thing happening back when we'd share portraits and packs for BG/IWD or more recent Wasteland 2.

I made a chanter as my first character. I'm having a lot of fun with it, so far. Here's my character creation screen:

wyrb.jpg

I would probably also like a Cipher, as I usually enjoy characters with charge skills and things that are opportunistic, over time.

I never knew people would get so upset for people sharing portraits, but it seems that's happened on the PE forums.

Some people asking for others to give credit to the artist or not post portrait "packs" and things or "cropped" pics (IE so they can actually be used in game).

I can understand an artist wanting "credit" for their own artwork, but seriously think realistically, when people search for this kind of thing and find it on google images, etc there's a GOOD chance that it's not going to have the artist listed and they have 0 way of knowing who the artist is.

I just never seen people that seem to get so upset over it, as though the people sharing the artwork for others to use in a video game were somehow being harmful to them or had some nefarious plan against the artwork to allow other players to use it for a portrait that somehow would hurt them. Just simply ask them to credit you in the post or link to your artwork, wouldn't that be the most helpful thing?

Don't recall this kind of thing happening back when we'd share portraits and packs for BG/IWD or more recent Wasteland 2.

For the most part, the portraits fall under fair use, the pictures are widely available to the public, do not include the whole thing as it is cropped out, its not for profit, a lot of times the artist is unknown.

Up to about lvl 3 so far but only have a few hours in. Kind of hard at the "Path of the damned" difficulty, but fun. Keep on getting swarmed atm which is a problem. :(

What difficulty are you playing?

Normal, lol. But... going 1-on-1 vs lvl5 bear with my lvl2 monk was so far the only fight I had to go back to after getting my numbers up. Strenght in a mob, eh? ;) only a few other encounters required me to chamge tactics, and I feel like my ranger elf isnt doing enough damage.

Perhaps "getting my ass kicked" was a bit of an over statement ;)

I feel like an idiot for not realizing until yesterday how close this game came to never being made, after the previous publisher abandoned it and left the developers to rot. It's a pretty remarkable story if you Google it further.

You have things mixed up, the story is that Obsidian were working on a Xbone game for a publisher which aborted development. Obsidian were months away from going bankrupt because of lack of cashflow, and it was during this time that they put together the concept for PoE and decided to crowd fund it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-11-before-pillars-of-eternity-obsidian-nearly-met-its-end

Let's face it these moments of good guy developer delivering something that fans asked for, and doing it knowing it would be outside of the more mainstream and "safe" genres publishers prefer, these moments are preciously scarce and so they deserve the support and worthy of every bit of the praise they're getting for it. Most old school genres are simply not cash cows in this console driven age.

Hence the reason why I am more than happy to crowd fund the right games.....there is no way in a million years that any major publisher would have bothered funding PoE or the likes of Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, DoS, Torment, FTL, etc. It means I don't need to feel bitter that most games released by AAA publishers are recycled console trash because I now have more than enough games crafted with passion and artistic integrity to keep me occupied for years.

yeah i tested it, and it does drop stats on my characters, tho not sure if i am already affected by some effects being gone or not and i do not want to start over so i will likely just play with what ever handicap it gives me and just try not to double click anything.

why are more and more devs active on reddit rather than their official forum?

This is a general observation for most any game released lately; not talking about Pillars. Fans who buy a game that are pleased, offering help, or seeking help hang out on Reddit. Complainers hang out on the Steam forums. There are a few people trying to help on the Steam forums. But it seem that most people act like they are 11 years old unless the forum is heavily moderated. Then everyone says that the moderators are deleting all of the negative threads which is true in some cases.

If you are a developer trying to reach new audiences and connect with your current customers, which place would you rather hang out at?

This game gives me pretty bad eyestrain but it could be the combination of Bloodborne Work and
Pillars I'll see how I handle it when my vacation starts in two days. If I can handle it better I'll be more then Happy then quit my job.
Really need to sell some more stuff to make that happen someday..

I'm gonna be hard on this game for a moment. It's because I otherwise really like it, but think it easily could have been just a bit better:

1. I wish they would have committed a bit more to locking down a flow and feel for the battles. As with most games like this (where you have indirect control over a party) the game will pause at some point, for you to enter commands. Except this game is setup to pause for every. little. thing. You can of course, turn off most of the pauses, if you want. But it's clear to me that having certain pauses makes things easier on you. and not having certain pauses, makes things more difficult. But too many pauses and I don't really feel like I'm experiencing much of a 'battle'. Rather than giving us so many options, I wish they would have forced something on us and ironed out an actual flow.

2. you can have like a 6 or 7 member party + summons, for like 10 things attacking for you on screen. I don't really see the point in allowing that much. Again, i wish they would have focused things more. I feel like I'm having to self limit too much on some key aspects for combat. Like, how little can I get away with Vs. just playing some actual designed intentions. I"m also unsure if you can sort of program ally behavior, for when you aren't controlling every little thing that they do. Final Fantasy 12 does that and It was a big part of the strategy for winning hard fights.

3. Not to mention, there are like 4 or 5 difficulty levels. In-game, the differences between them are unclear (Besides permadeath on 1 or 2 of them, how is the game harder or easier?) and you can change between whenever you want.

So again, it's kind of left up to the player to limit themselves. Rather than rise up to a curve built into the game.

Some of the diff settings can't be changed mid game.

i wouldn't mind a bit of a queue system so i can say give a wizard a few commands, like cast his protection spell, then start a few direct single target damage spells so that after the fight is going i can go back to them and then start more controlled spells that have AoE where i need to direct them and enemy movements are sort of settled by that point.

it does get a bit annoying having to pause every few seconds to see who is done with their spell casting to recast something new, while i do i like i need to manage them and they don't just use spells or abilities on their own having a way to chain some together to reduce the micro would be nice.

Back