Piledriver ES benchmarks

Judging by our current market I think both companies are plateauing. While INTEL has been gaining enormous performance boosts thus satisfying our "now" need. AMD's approach seems future forward. I give both manus. credit.

I don't see how AMD is more future oriented. Basically Intel has a lot of space to increase multi threaded performance if they want - easiest one would be driving HT enabled chips from i7 to i5 price points and increasing clock speeds.

In the mobile market; which eventually will be the larger of the two(home & mobile) because mobile can be used at home and on-the-go. Conversely, the desktop, well, is slowly phasing into a smaller form factor using less power and performing just as well as a larger "box". Full-tower w/all the bells and whistles sub 100$?? As far as desktops AMD already stated it's all set w/that market; done well in it and is moving forward.

In the mobile market they have advantage only in netbooks and econo gaming computers - for anyone else Intel HD gpus are good enough already and with Haswell this will only improve.

They're offering upgrades to current AM3 system owners as a way of "sticking to their word" so-to -speak. They did promise that AM3 mobo users wouldn't be forgotten and they held true to that. This offers s938 owners some longevity while the next-gen(FM sockets) are developed. INTEL is clearly still focused on desktops at the moment but you can bet they're watching their rival closely.

Are you speaking about Phenom II times ? Because sure as hell for my am3 mobo 1055T was dead end without any upgrade path.

Anyone who has a non AM3+ compatible AM3 board is not likely to be left wanting performance wise as the Ph II x6 CPU's are good workhorses for most people. Even the 95w limited boards can run a lower TDP x6 CPU and delivery pretty decent performance wise.

Can't see the pain here. Maybe if I had built a pre AM3+ system..I could have bought at the wrong time. But I went from Socket 939 to AM3+ that was a very significant performance increase for me. The longer you leave it the more mpressive it gets. I'll pass on FM2 and we might be talking 3/4 years for a major upgrade.

If you have a decent CPU right now I can't see why you'd be desperate to get hold of the latest thing.

Back