Pictures Of Your Dually Rigs!

Well I loaded up SpeedFan and charted my CPU temperatures, they were actually getting high than I originally thought. So I threw a 120mm fan in front of the heatsinks and that seem to make a big difference. I also attached a small fan to the northbridge, that made a huge difference on the heat sink temp.

385970103_52ec2d43e4_b.jpg

I know the 120mm fan is resting on a piece of cardboard :D

Just got a dual Xeon at work for our new Linux DHCP and DNS box.

Some pics since I have some time to kill.

srv1dp8.jpg

srv2nm9.jpg

srv3sg4.jpg

srv4bn7.jpg

Rack mounted and ready for action...

tape1jc5.jpg

rack1yw4.jpg

Good lord. Where do you work that you need that kind of hardware for DHCP and DNS?:eek:

The latest adittion to my home, A IBM NetFinity 7100

IMG_3109.jpg

Used a DVD case for comparison, this case is HUGE !! and heavy :eek: :p
IMG_3110.jpg

IMG_3112.jpg

for the moment 2 Xeon 550Mhz/512kb, 2 will be added later.
IMG_3113.jpg

The PCI-X slots 2x 66Mhx and 4x 33Mhz, installed are a IBM ServeRAID 4L (33Mhz only) and the little one is an 3COM 3C905B XL PCI
IMG_3114.jpg

Memory board, installed is 1GB in 128(4) and 64MB(8).
IMG_3115.jpg

small are'nd they :D
IMG_3116.jpg

Wow that xeon cpu is just like a cd case! eh that thing must be huge and heavy (what you said)

Because we all know high powered DHCP's are going to do that ;)

How is that a high powered DHCP server? Any mid-sized and larger enterprise will have at least that much horsepower dedicated to DHCP. Its a critical function, its a pain in the ass, and it can actually be pretty intensive. If you work in a 500-1000 user enterprise, sure DHCP can be run on an old desktop under a desk, but when you're dealing with 50,000 plus users, its a different story.

The DoD needs PCs to work on a network so people can do their job and prevent NK from limiting your bandwidth. To do that, they either need to hardcode IP addresses and pay a human to manage them, or they need some DHCP horsepower, so yeah, since we're out of the stone age, DHCP servers do contribute to the job the DoD does :p

Well, here it is with 2200 Watts of goodness.

OMFG.....You win the internet. Period.

How much did that cost you? Did you take a loan or something? Since when do you need 16Gbs of RAM D:? So many questions, so much power, so much HDD space, so much everything.

At long last, I got a photobucket account, so here's some pics of my dually. Specs of both rigs are in my sig.

This is a shot while it was under construction. I added a PCI SATA HDD controller and more Hdd's, but other than that and cable management, it's complete
DSC_0003.jpg

Here's a shot of the case, my custom Duality. It houses my server and my gaming rig. BTW, that's a 19 inch Dell CRT next to it.
DSC_0008.jpg

This is another shot so show off the extra blowholes. I had to mount the server side fans outside the case cause the PC-DL's heatsinks were in the way on the inside.
DSC_0009.jpg

While I'm sticking up pics, here's one of my gaming rig, which is on the oter side of the case. That' it in its final form except I swapped the OCZ Plat for some Redline.
DSC_0016.jpg

I was always worried about resting hard drives on top of the PSU, but that's just me being paranoid I think - I expect that even the thin metal of the PSU case & the hard drive's shell is enough to negate the EM field. But even so, I'm paranoid.

I really like that case though, it seems bit enough to be practical for a two-system setup, but not overly big just to try & look imposing. I love the bare metal finish too.

I dunno if it's visible in the pic, but I put an anti-static bag between the drive and the PSU. I've also got anti-statics under the drive (now two drives) that are on the case floor. I ran out of room in my brackets and don't feel like buying more.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1177583

thats my quad core 2.66ghz (not clocked over yet) qx6700 8MB Lvl2
sli'd 2x8800gtx's
w/ 4 gigs corsair 6400 ram on the pn2-sli2+ motherboard (1333 fsb)

Pretty much the fastest available everything in a lian-li case ready for an internal lcd 5" display to be installed soon :p, keep an eye on my thread if you want to see it after completion

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1177583

thats my quad core 2.66ghz (not clocked over yet) qx6700 8MB Lvl2
sli'd 2x8800gtx's
w/ 4 gigs corsair 6400 ram on the pn2-sli2+ motherboard (1333 fsb)

Pretty much the fastest available everything in a lian-li case ready for an internal lcd 5" display to be installed soon :p, keep an eye on my thread if you want to see it after completion

You do realize this thread & subforum is about MULTIprocessor systems, meaning 2 seperate processors on one motherboard, not multicore systems. You're rig doesn't qualify.

Ahh yes, paid for by the taxpayer :)

To keep North Korea from limiting you upload speed...

Because we all know high powered DHCP's are going to do that ;)

How is that a high powered DHCP server? Any mid-sized and larger enterprise will have at least that much horsepower dedicated to DHCP. Its a critical function, its a pain in the ass, and it can actually be pretty intensive. If you work in a 500-1000 user enterprise, sure DHCP can be run on an old desktop under a desk, but when you're dealing with 50,000 plus users, its a different story.

The DoD needs PCs to work on a network so people can do their job and prevent NK from limiting your bandwidth. To do that, they either need to hardcode IP addresses and pay a human to manage them, or they need some DHCP horsepower, so yeah, since we're out of the stone age, DHCP servers do contribute to the job the DoD does :p

I'm curious, where did he say for how many users this DHCP would be used for? Where did I say that this server would be overkill for this type of application?

All I said was "Because we all know high powered DHCP's are going to do that ;)" in response to a comment made that was quoted above. This is a high powered DHCP server, it doesn't matter how you fit it to what application you choose to design it for, it is a high powered server. Did I say this was overkill? No. Did I say that this wasn't enough for the job? No.

North Korea is not the epic center of internet communications and they certainly do not have much access to most of the worlds backbones. And also most certainly the DHCP of the DOD isn't going to affect our "upload" to the internet due to Korea's Actions, our networks are too catalyst and too robust for any "hacker" or single entity to destroy it, also since NK does not have access to most of our backbones, in particular the ones directed towards Central Asia and EMEA, I would say it's no big deal.

All I made was a simple comment that the tax payers was paying for it, which is a simple fact. I also made the comment that it's a high powered server that couldn't limit our uploads as Americans to the internet, which is two more facts.

So please next time stop making assumptions as to what people says and check in regards to what they are commenting to.

And FYI, thank you for the hardware education on what size enterprise I would need to manage a particular DHCP operation and the comment about your stone age viewpoints... I only work in a 235,000 user corporation.

Well, here it is with 2200 Watts of goodness.

Yes the power supplies actually came in briefcases from the manufacturer.

Yes, it was a wiring nightmare

Yes, there was blood, ...lots of blood.

Hey venturi if you had to choose a board again which out of the three would you choose? all 3 got 6 SATA's plus 8 SAS's which are naturally backwards compatible with SATA which gives a total 14 SATA drives. OW and another note your tagan PSU are rated poorly they seem to shut down at 750 while the box says 1100. check out this site johnnyguru for the best, TOP PSU with quality mind all 3 tiers are the best of the best. I myself have a tier 2 silverstone OP1000. I was pretty disapointed by the list telling me I didnt have the best PSU for my size but after it said the list is the best of the best i changed my mood. NOTE the best 1000 range PSU is from PC & C Turbo Cool 1 kilowatt but its like 500 USD while my OP100 was like 270 CAD which is like 410 USD. heres the link but you need to register your nick before you get acess
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103

DUALIE_FINAL.jpg

PSU Recommendations for High End Gaming PC's
Recommendations are made on a model by model or product line by product line basis since many companies make such a wide range of product, it is dificult to say things like "Seasonic makes excellent PSU's" or "Coolmax sucks."

FYI: The power supplies listed are in no particular order within each tier.

Tier 1:

PC Power and Cooling Turbo-Cool product line

* Built like a server PSU, but with the home user also in mind
* Zero ripple
* Louder than a leaf blower
* 1kW is 8800GTX SLI certified
* 1kW is Crossfire X1900/X1950 Crossfire certified
* 850W is 7800 and 7900GTX SLI certified
* 5 year warranty

Etasis Gaming Power product line

* Server grade
* Fairly quiet for PSU's with 80MM fans
* ET-750 and ET-850 are both 8800GTX SLI certified
* 3 year warranty

Silverstone Zeus and Nightjar product line

* Based on Etasis units, a company known for server grade PSU's
* Not very loud, even when outfitted with 80MM fans.
* Often sleeved cables, etc. Geared more towards the enthusiast than other server grade PSU's.
* ST85ZF is Crossfire X1900/X1950 Crossfire certified
* ST75ZF is 8800GTX SLI certified
* ST56ZF is 7800 and 7900GTX SLI certified
* 3 year warranty

Zippy GSM and PSL product line

* Typically server power supplies and can be loud
* PSL model has 40MM fan which has a high pitched sound when running
* There is a "gaming" product line that offers all of the necessary connectors for almost any high end gaming rig, a nicer finish and has a much quieter fan than the server models.
* Crossfire X1900/X1950 Crossfire certified
* PSL-6850P(G1) is 8800GTX SLI certified
* 3 year warranty

Tier 2:

Enermax Galaxy product line

* Lots of power
* Semi-Modular
* Very quiet
* Very efficient
* 3 years

Seasonic S12 and M12 product lines

* Very good voltage regulation
* Very efficient
* Very quiet
* M12 series is modular
* S12 650W is 7950 GX2 Quad SLI certified
* 3 year warranty

Corsair product line

* Based on same platform and component quality as Seasonic S/M12
* Very efficient
* Very quiet
* Modular
* HX620W is 7800 and 7900GTX SLI certified
* 5 year warranty

PC Power and Cooling Silencer product line

* Based on same platform and component quality as Seasonic S/M12
* 750W is 7950 GX2 Quad SLI certified
* 3 year warranty

Coolmax Greenpower product line

* Based on ATNG server platform
* A little on the loud side
* X1900/X1950 Crossfire certified
* 3 year warranty

SevenTeam SSI EPS 12V 2.91 Series and "Fanless" product lines

* Strong regulation
* Efficient and quiet, despite being based on a server platform
* Good price, but rarely available in the U.S.
* 2 year warranty

MGE/XG Duro and Magnum

* Based on SevenTeam's higher end units
* Lifetime Warranty

Andyson's server line (recognized by dual 80MM fans) and high-efficiency line (recognized by single 130MM fan.)

* Extremely affordable
* Solid performance and quality components
* High efficiency models are 84% typical and very quiet
* Not commonly found in U.S. or E.U.
* End user warranty unknown

Hiper Type-M 670 and 730W and Type-R 730W

* Based on server grade Andyson units
* 3 year warranty

Ultra X-Finity and X-Pro 800W

* Based on server grade Andyson units
* 3 year warranty/Lifetime with product registration

Ultra X3 & X-Pro (same thing. One is modular, one isn't) 600W, 800W, 1000W and 1600W ("EE" for "Energy Efficient") APFC (not non-APFC)

* Based on high-efficiency Andyson units
* Quiet and efficient
* 3 year warranty/Lifetime with product registration

Silverstone Olympia OP1000

* Uses SevenTeam 1kW server platform
* Very stable power
* 80A continuous power on a single 12V rail
* Single, rear mounted 80MM fan is loud
* 8800GTX SLI certified
* 3 year warranty

Silverstone Olympia OP650, 750 and Decathalon DA750

* Built in Taiwan (who's?)
* Quit and efficient

Tier 3:

Enhance products

* Efficient and quiet
* Very affordable
* Often does not come with sleeved cables
* Only 1 year warranty

Silverstone Element and Strider product lines

* Based on Enhance's higher end products
* 3 year warranty on PSU's > 500W. All others are only 1 year warranty

Xclio Stablepower product line

* Based on Enhance's ENP 850W and 1000W products
* Cooled by quieter 140MM fan (as opposed to pair of 80's)
* 2 year warranty

Antec Trio/NeoHE/EarthWatts product line

* Built by Seasonic, but not the same build quality as above Seasonics
* NeoHE is modular
* Trio 650W is 7950 GX2 Quad SLI certified
* NeoHE 550W is X1900/X1950 Crossfire certified
* 5 year warranty

FSP Epsilon product line

* Compact size
* Fairly efficient and quiet
* Notable ripple issue
* Inexpensive
* X1900/X1950 Crossfire certified
* 700W is 7950 GX2 Quad SLI certified

OCZ GameXstrem product line

* Based on FSP Epsilon mentioned above
* 3 year warranty

AOpen AO700-ALN

* Based on FSP Epsilon mentioned above
* Only 1 year warranty

Thermaltake Toughpower product line

* Built by CWT, but without all of the Fuhjyyu capacitors
* 550W is X1800/X850/X800 Crossfire certified
* 600W, 700W and 750W are X1900/X1950 Crossfire certified and 7950 GX2 Quad SLI certified
* 750W is modular
* 5 year warranty

Xclio GreatPower product line

* Supposedly same construction as Toughpower (??? need confirmation)
* 650W, 700W and 750W is 7950 GX2 Quad SLI certified
* 2 year warranty

Enermax Liberty 620W

* Excellent voltage regulation
* Modular
* Very quiet
* Only 1 year warranty
* Bumped down to tier 3 due to a number of reports of failure in the line of duty

And before you nimrods start whining about why your beloved OCZ only made teir 3... this is three tiers of HIGH END products. If the product isn't even on the list, it could be that I either don't know about it or it's not considered high end. So if your PSU is actually in teir 3, grab your e-Penis and know that you at least made the worst of the best.

Of course, there's always more to be added later.....

And, before you ask, there's not enough data about the...

Enermax Infinity
FSP built 1000W (OCZ 1000W)
CWT built 1000W and 1200W units

...for me to make a judgement call so don't ask. Unlike some sites, I don't go "oh goody! Silverstone has a new PSU!!! Let's make it tier 1" without actually testing it. Sorry.

TAKEN from

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103

without permission

NOTE the best 1000 range PSU is from PC & C Turbo Cool 1 kilowatt but its like 500 USD while my OP100 was like 270 CAD which is like 410 USD.

I think your currency from CAD to USD conversions are a little off ;)

:(

Actually, you don't need to register to view that thread. You only need to register to have access to off topic and to view attachments.

hahahhahaa

@ US canada conversion. Its 85% today. It did make it all the way up to 90 in 05 but, been declining since then.

@ the the PSU list. Duuude! PC P&C 1000W Turbo cool is over $500 up here!!!! the Sgalaxy is only $250! judging by H's reviews i think ill go with the galaxy when I get my 2nd 8800.

I think im gonna go for the Supermicro board the one in the middle. wow johnnyguru chills here. dude I trade my OP1000 for a 1kilowatt turbocool you got one to trade johnnyguru. Well anyways im deciding if i should buy the motherboard or 2 sticks of ram.

For some reason I though this thread was for posting pictures of your dually rigs... :confused:

Anyhow - back on the topic of the thread. My new dually. It's a Dell Precision 690 Pro Workstation. I've wrapped the front aluminum panel in shade-shifter vinyl which goes from blue green to purple depending on the angle and light. Also the machine is remarkable silent which was a nice surprise. The Cisco switch I have ten feet away is much louder... Machine is currently configured as

Dual, Dual Core Xeon 5150 2.66Ghz 4x2MB Cache 1333FSB
16GB DDR667 FB DIMMS (16x1GB on quad channel mode - it has 16 dimm slots :D)
1KW Power Supply
4 15K RPM Fujitsu MAX SAS Hard Drives
Single 128MB PCIe x16 ATI FireGL V3300 (this machine is not for gaming)
12GB of the RAM is configured as a 12GB RAMDISK with Qsoft Ramdisk Enterprise
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP2
Dual 16x DVDRW Drives
Mitsumi Multi Card Reader / Floppy Drive

Pics
Full Front Shot - this thing is MASSIVE and HEAVY
dell1.jpg

Vinyl wrap closeup 1 looking green
dell2.jpg

Vinyl wrap closeup 2 looking blue/red/purple
dell3.jpg

Inside with wind tunnel cover installed over ram and processors
dell4.jpg

Inside with wind tunnel cover removed
dell5.jpg

Last edited:
Jeez, what the hell do you use it for?

Working with very large graphics like vehicle wraps and billboards. Some of the photoshop files get up over 3GB...

nice! you have the 1kw model!

mmmm .... FB DIMMS...

Yeah - I do also have it folding for the [H]orde. With FAH running it's pulling a little of 400W at the outlet. Bugger does suck some juice down. Not a cheap machine to run - you feel it on your power bill every month. Woot - I should hit 200,000 points in a couple more days.

I have yet to take pictures of my system fully built, but here are some core pictures.

The power consumption of the system with 6x 500GB + 1x 80GB (7 drives) gets as low as 90 watts.
This is with the system idled and running at [email protected] and the 6x 500GB drives turned off through power management.

Peak power usage with all drives spinning and 4 instances of Prime95 is around 240 watts.
Not bad for a Quad-core setup. :)

I will add another 16GB of ram once I ugprade to 2x Barcelona chips.

what do you use all of that power for venturi

maybe he runs an illegal blizzlike wow server it would probably lag less than blizzard's servers and he needs all that space to store character information i hear some countries dont have piracy laws or have limited copyright laws

nice nice system tho what do you use it for

what heatsinks are those ive seen those around alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturi View Post
Since the NDA is lifted, here are some pics, check sig

That's the nicest system ive ever seen. You are probibly the most hatefull member on [H] right now (as in jealousy) :p

u will be more hateful since venturi chopped his system up and sold it all

That's the nicest system ive ever seen. You are probibly the most hatefull member on [H] right now (as in jealousy) :p

I have yet to take pictures of my system fully built, but here are some core pictures.

The power consumption of the system with 6x 500GB + 1x 80GB (7 drives) gets as low as 90 watts.
This is with the system idled and running at [email protected] and the 6x 500GB drives turned off through power management.

Peak power usage with all drives spinning and 4 instances of Prime95 is around 240 watts.
Not bad for a Quad-core setup. :)

I will add another 16GB of ram once I ugprade to 2x Barcelona chips.

hey i got the same ram but mine came in a 2p kit another difference i noticed is that althought the model number is exactly the same cept mine have a 2k in the end of it is the memory module are in sqaures. 2 sqaures of ram to every rectangle ram chip on each module. why is that?.
is one superior to the other

hey i got the same ram but mine came in a 2p kit another difference i noticed is that althought the model number is exactly the same cept mine have a 2k in the end of it is the memory module are in sqaures. 2 sqaures of ram to every rectangle ram chip on each module. why is that?.
is one superior to the other

Each of the sticks you are looking at is 4GB.
So, you are looking at 4x 4GB sticks of ram (16GB total).
These things used to retail at almost $2k/stick a few months ago, but now can be had at $600. :eek:

I think yours might be the 2x 2GB kit.
You have two chips per column because it is built using 128Mbit chips, while mine is built using 512Mbit chips.
Each of your sticks is really two 1GB sticks stacked.

Yes, mine is waaaaaay superior to yours... hem... way superior... :D

Each of the sticks you are looking at is 4GB.
So, you are looking at 4x 4GB sticks of ram (16GB total).
These things used to retail at almost $2k/stick a few months ago, but now can be had at $600. :eek:

I think yours might be the 2x 2GB kit.
You have two chips per column because it is built using 128Mbit chips, while mine is built using 512Mbit chips.
Each of your sticks is really two 1GB sticks stacked.

Yes, mine is waaaaaay superior to yours... hem... way superior... :D
and you need that much ram for? :D

Back