Pictures Of Your Dually Rigs!

Guess I should post my dual rig as well :p

It is used as a backup server right now.

Intel L440BX+ Mainboard with Dual P3 533MHZ Processors. (could put up to a 1ghz P3 in)
Its an intel server case that has an adaptec hotswap bay built in.
Currently I have 3x 36gb SCSI Cheetah Drives and 2x 9.6gb SCSI Barracuda Drives.
The 3 are in Raid 1 with one drive as a backup (extra) and the 2 are in a separate Raid 1 Array. The raid is controlled by a Addon Adaptec SCSI raid card.
Also, I have a 20gb Maxtor for the OS (Server 2k3) and a 180gb IDE Drive for less important things that I backup.
I cant remember how much memory, but i think its around 1gb.

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

A bit older, but still gets the job done and is pretty quick.

Well, here it is with 2200 Watts of goodness.

Yes the power supplies actually came in briefcases from the manufacturer.

Yes, it was a wiring nightmare

Yes, there was blood, ...lots of blood.

I almost slipped a turtle head when I saw that rig!

If you don't post benches soon, we will hunt you down and have bubba who just got out of the pen come give you a visit.

You should build custom cooling for that supersucker.

Venturi, With a rig like that I bet you can play both solitaire AND minesweeper!

Seriously though, I would love to borrow that machine for a while to render out all the home video I have been working through of late. Really makes me feel self concious and inadequate...

I only got an X2 4400 and 2 gigs of ram,
and
An E6600 with 2gigs of ram.

venturi said:

MG][/URL]

I dont think [H]ard|OCP likes people posting p0rnography in there forums!

I(illa Bee said:
I dont think [H]ard|OCP like people posting p0rnography in there forums!

lol ya he's going to be recieving an angry phone call from at least one of the mods for posting that shit here!!!

seriously, venturi, post benchys!!!!!!! POST BENCHYS NOW!!!!!!!!

venturi said:

You might want to edit your sig, your past the 10 lines alloted.

Anyways, why did you go with thos tagan psus? How do you like them? I heard the are quite but reviews says otherwise and that they run hot.

My two new duallies that I got from Dew.

IBM xSeries 330's.

Once I get some SCA drives they will be folding and file serving.

venturi said:

http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/7123/desksd4.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

What are those 4 power cable w/ ferret choke is for? This is the very first time I've seen cable w/ ferret choke INSIDE a case.

Happy Hopping said:
What are those 4 power cable w/ ferret choke is for? This is the very first time I've seen cable w/ ferret choke INSIDE a case.

Ummm, would you be referring to the power cables to his video cards?

I can't quite see clearly if those cables were connected to his video card or not. IF so, they must be 8800GTX. But even so, I never seen a power supply c/w ferrot choke inside a case, where would they be concern about interference w/i their own case?

When I go through and look at venturi's posts, it reminds me of the Weird Al song It's All About the Pentiums. hahaha..

...I upgrade my system at least twice a day, I'm strictly plug-n-play, I ain't afraid of Y2K, I'm down with Bill Gates I call him 'money' for short. I phone him up at home and I make him do my tech support! Its all about the pentiums, what!? what!?
:p

Nice except I realize the 24 pin cable from the motherboard to the PS does not reach so I either need a longer cable since it removes from the PS unit itself or another case.

someone might sell extensions..

I know they have adapters that hook up for runnign dual PSUs, and they in themslevs act as a small 5-6" extension

Nice except I realize the 24 pin cable from the motherboard to the PS does not reach so I either need a longer cable since it removes from the PS unit itself or another case.

Performance PC's among others carreis 24pin ATX extension cables.

Yeah, my system has 24, 8 and 4 pin extensions on the mobo connectors, got them all at performance pc's. Kinda pricey but nicely sleeved.

I have 2 Opteron 246 HE's and 4x512 PC3200 DDR ECC/Reg memory.

Can someone post a link of what I need?

Does the 24 pin 12" extension replace my cable from the Power Supply to the board or does it add onto the already supplied cable I have?

I ask because my supplied 24 pin sleeved cable removes from my power supply brick and is already ~20" if I force stretch it out by hand. Naturally it snakes a bit so I lose some length there. Also my provided 24 pin cable has a pig tail with a small little 3 pin prong which I assume is required for proper power sustainment. The 3 pin prong connects to the power supply brick but does not have one on the motherboard side.

Does the 24 pin 12" extension replace my cable from the Power Supply to the board or does it add onto the already supplied cable I have?

They are all extension cables per the product description.

I don't mind. The Mobo, CPUs, RAM, and video card came to about $1950. Everything else in the system was from my previous rig.

Are those stock 2U heatsinks? How good are they? Can I ask what temps you are getting for your CPUs?

Are those stock 2U heatsinks? How good are they? Can I ask what temps you are getting for your CPUs?

I'm a little worried about the airflow as well, I'm pretty sure supermicro recommends a airflow be push/pull, through the heatsinks and then over the FB-Dimms. Do you have a fan in the front of the P180 pushing air through the passive heatsinks? How are your temps looking for not only the cpu's but the memory as well?

The temperatures were a concern for me when I built the machine to, I got a really great deal on the processors, they are unmarked demo chips from Intel. The downside is that they were passively cooled. After testing the CPUs, I've found that they reach about 55 degrees when under load. The RAM isn't overheating either, although the buffer chips on each stick do get hot (that is kinda expected though). Its the northbridge that really worries me, the BIOS doesn't show it overheating but the heatsink is so hot you could fry an egg on it! I've been thinking of getting an active HSF for the northbridge, but I was wondering, is that normal?

I have a 120 mm in front of my processors sucking in from the front through the heatsinks and then exits out with a 92 mm pulling air through the fb-dimms and northbridge. It supposed to create a wind tunnel effect that pulls air through the case, supermicro has chassis that do the exact same thing including the heat shroud. I'm willing to be that you have stagnant air towards the front of your case and the northbridge isn't getting any airflow. It would probably be helpful to put active cooling on it, but you still have the problem of no airflow over or through your processors heatsinks.

Back