*Pics* Massive GTX285 3 Way SLI Build Log *Pics*

notsane

Gawd
All Boxes
all_boxes.jpg

Case
case_unbox_1.jpg

case_unbox_2.jpg

Cool thing here is they give you a paper template with numbering that you can use to put the motherboard tray standoffs in the right place (this is easy anyway, but still a nice touch)
case_unbox_3_inside.jpg

MOBO
mobo_unbox_1.jpg

mobo_unbox_2.jpg

mobo_unbox_3.jpg

I am going to look at adding some active cooling to the north bridge to make sure I stay nice and cool at 3.8+
mobo_unbox_4_cooling.jpg

mobo_unbox_5_logo.jpg

PSU
Packaging for Corsair is super nice! they even give you a pouch for all of the modular cables
psu_unbox.jpg

I didn't know it when I took this picture, but this PSU was DOA. It actually would post with one GTX 285, but the blue modular PCIe cables had no juice coming out of them.
bad_ps_in_place.jpg

Another nice touch from Corsair, they give you thumbscrews to install your PSU in the case. I really liked that.
ps_thumbscrews.jpg

The Build First Draft
Here is my first attempt at running the case headers to the motherboard. I later decided to use wire loom and shrink tubing.
case_header_try_1.jpg

Here I was a bit disappointed because Cooler Master advertises this case having a window in the motherboard tray so you don't have to remove the board to install the CPU cooler. Note that I am using a Cooler Master V-8 and it doesn't line up to their window.. I know that this is the motherboard causing this, but thought I would put out an FYI here... Install the CPU Cooler outside the case as normal!
v8_backplate_misaligned.jpg

Here we have everything in, but not yet wired.
mobo3cards_psu_nowires.jpg

Here is the first wiring job all ready for me to go an find out it doesn't post.. I was pretty crushed needless to say. As noted above the Corsair modular 6 pin connection ports were faulty. I was able to hop on EVGA's tech support line and go through troubleshooting to determine it was the power supply for sure. Note that Corsair's tech support phone center is CLOSED on Saturday... because we all have lots of spare time to do high end gaming builds M-F 9-5 right?
ws_high_test_wire_job.jpg

So I went to my local Best Buy and picked up a BFG 1000 Watt power supply and threw that sucker in here to see if it was up to the task. It ran everything fine, but I am pretty sure I was pushing it a bit too hard, because there was tons on noise coming through the onboard sound. I contacted Newegg and stared the RMA replacement process for my Corsair. In the mean time I went back to Best Buy and picked up an X-fi Titanium Fatal1ty for $100.. Ya I know that Fatal1ty branded stuff is generally lame but this card had a cool metal heat sink and the "F" logo faces down where no one can see. It was also $40 LESS than Newegg (weird huh) and the ONLY PCIe 1x card at sigh Best Buy. Here is how the build looked roughed together with the BFG right before I tore it apart and put the fresh from Newegg Corsair 1000HX in!
temp_wire_bfg_ps.jpg

The Final Build
OK, so I decided that I would do this build right with wire loom and shrink tubing. Here are my headers before and after pics.
Before
case_header_try_1.jpg

After
cu_header_wires.jpg

Here we have the SATA cables to my two 640GB WD drives in their drive trays and the DVD Burner
ms_drive_sata.jpg

Here they connect to the motherboard
ms_header_sata_wires.jpg

All wiring so far
ws_header_sata_wires.jpg

Here we go, the new power supply is in!!
ws_3cards_nowires.jpg

Here I bundled together the 4 modular 6 pin PCIe cables and covered them with wire loom and shrink tubing.
cu_gpu_wires_at_psu_2.jpg

Here is the GPU end of the cable I built. Note that you want to plan for the cables to be slightly different lengths so they lay down correctly once they are connected to the GPU.
cu_gpu_wires_not_installed.jpg

Plugged into the video cards
cu_gpu_wires.jpg

SLI Bridge in
cu_3_gpu_wired.jpg

Here is the bundle I made to run power to the HDs and DVD
cu_molex_wiresat_psu1.jpg

Connected here
cu_drive_bay_wires.jpg

I also ran loom over any exposed case fan wires and even the CPU fan controller
cu_8_pin_power.jpg

Final Pictures
RAM
cu_ram.jpg

X-FI
cu_xfi.jpg

PSU and three GTX 285s
ms_3gpu_psu.jpg

Motherboard with all components
ms_final_wires.jpg

V-8
v8.jpg

Final Build
ws_final_install_2.jpg

ws_final_install_1.jpg

ws_final_install_three_quarters.jpg

ws_fianl_case_1.jpg

ws_final_case_2.jpg

Ya, I even ran wire loom behind the motherboard tray.
ws_final_wiring_back.jpg

Wow! Beautiful work, beautiful photography! That is quite a monster.

I had to forward your link to my team so they could enjoy this geek pron, I hope you know.:rolleyes:

Thanks so much for looking! I had lots of fun building this, now it is time to sit back and enjoy.

BTW I have MORE pics... I really tried to cut it down to the ones needed to tell the story :)

I need to start folding. Will do soon!

Thanks so much for looking! I had lots of fun building this, now it is time to sit back and enjoy.

BTW I have MORE pics... I really tried to cut it down to the ones needed to tell the story :)

I need to start folding. Will do soon!

dont say it, show it :D

Yikes, That's a nice looking monster! :eek: (BIG Thumbs-Up)

I really like how you "bundled' those cables together.

Congrats, that's a nice new toy!

very nice work......makes me realize how bad my cable management is.....

Thats impressive, looks so much more organized than mine.

How much did yours cost total?

Scroll, scroll, scroll; wipes drool from keyboard...

Nice [H]ardware and wiring job!

Since when did this become the build log/rig show off section...?

hey sorry if this is wrong place to post this! Just got so much help here, thought I would show those who helped! I actully took all the pictures and wrote the build log just for you guys. Like anyone else cares.

Last edited:
i hope you keep an eye on the X-FI card.. because its going to overheat like a mofo where its at..

other then that looks like a nice build.. I like how its all black..

Back