PhysX in Borderlands 2

Is it even possible to remove certain PhysX effects? The water effects absolutely destroy my i7-950, particularly in Caustic Caverns and Bloodshot Stronghold. In both of those cases the main problem is large bodies of water that are pointlessly modeled with physX effects that do almost nothing to enhance their realism (whirlpool, caustic lake). It makes a lot more sense to only model flowing water (broken pipes), or even just skip the water altogether since it doesn't look all that real to begin with, more like weird flowing goop in most cases. I'd gladly give up exploding barrels with goo inside if it meant I could keep the fabric and particle effects enabled without game-destroying slowdowns on certain levels.
I think I'm going to start another topic specifically on this - trying to optimize PhysX in Borderlands 2 to get it running better on CPU.

In the article they NEVER got a PCI card to work at all... They did take a PCI-E card and Cut it to size for a smaller PCI-E slot... I have a feeling that since ALL New Cards are PCI-E that support for PCI may have been dropped from the Drivers... Just a Thought...

Isn't the GT 430 the one that doesn't list any cuda cores? Might explain it

nice :) going to look now to see if there might be an advantage over the GTX 550 Ti I have :D (running a 690 here)

Isn't the GT 430 the one that doesn't list any cuda cores?
No, it has 96 cuda cores. It's been commonly used as an add-on PhysX card by other people. What's weird is that mine is PCI, and while it lists CUDA support it doesn't say PhysX on the actual box (even though it lists it on Zotac's website). I did get it to work some with Fluidmark, but unreliably. It might be that Fluidmark uses the cores directly, and in any case my CPU did better in Fluidmark than the card did lol.

I paid $60 for the thing, I might just return it because at this point it doesn't seem worth any more hassle.

As for the game being on a separate drive causing issues mine is installed separately on an SSD from the rest of my Steam and hybrid physX working fine here. Running a 6950 and a GT630.

Pick up a GT 640. They're ~$100 and if you buy from a place like amazon you can return it if its not up to snuff...

I added a GT 640 to my GTX 680 and now I never get slowdowns in heavy fight scenes. Bloodshot Stronghold/whirlpool, Caustic Caverns, etc.

Nice effects I wish my spare 9600gt would help me out with my 5770....

Last edited:
The GTX650 and GT640 are so close in price. Does the DDR3 make hardly a difference at all in this case? It seems most are going with the GT 640. I only care about the massive slowdowns. 20% boost of 30FPS is still meh, has to improve the "choking". I seem to read more "improved by X%" then choking being smoothed out.

My 9800GT handicaps my 670 big time. It didn't seem to do that to my 480 though people said it would. Definitely don't bother with weak sauce cards. A 9600GSO and things like this are worthless.

The GTX 650 is a significantly better card overall, so I figured it would have better resale down the line.

PhysX with Torgue shotties -- OH YEAH. Console kids dont know what they're missing.

Protip: If you want a nice performance bump in BL2 with almost no sacrifice in gfx quality, disable ambient occlusion - hell of a resource hog. I do this even with a watercooled/OC'd GTX680. Unfortunately the netcode is simply not optimized in this game and collides with gfx performance, resulting in lag and FPS spikes while in MP, even with Quad SLI'd 680's.

I'll keep a graph of my GPU and CPU usage running sometimes and even the rare times it dips down to 25FPS, the GPU and CPU are barely pegged at 60% so that tells you something. On the bright side, not a showstopper and hell of a game despite the minor flaws.

Last edited:
Protip: If you want a nice performance bump in BL2 with almost no sacrifice in gfx quality, disable ambient occlusion - hell of a resource hog. I do this even with a watercooled/OC'd GTX680. Unfortunately the netcode is simply not optimized in this game and collides with gfx performance, resulting in lag and FPS spikes while in MP, even with Quad SLI'd 680's.

Hrmm I have to try this..

Wow I played through BL2 with my 480's in SLI and I had no idea how cool it was that I could run that. Man am I glad I went with Nvidia on this build :D

Wow I played through BL2 with my 480's in SLI and I had no idea how cool it was that I could run that. Man am I glad I went with Nvidia on this build :D

That's nice you can enable Physix, but its also nice that I could also by adding in a $25 GT530 and get High Physx with my HD 6970, and only add a 50W TDP card.:D

This. Ambient Occlusion is more trouble than it's worth in most games.

I've got a hybrid 7970/gtx 260 setup going on, but I've run into some weird problems, namely having to have my main GPU (7970) hooked up to my bottom PCI-E slot, thus making my bios screen black until W8 login screen comes on. Plus now my 7970 only runs at x8 PCIE2.0.

Reason my 7970 is in the bottom slot is because of airflow :/

Back