PhysX in Borderlands 2

Well, the numbers are showing it's really not. If a 48-shader 9600 GSO can handle the job fairly well and a GT 640 can handle it as well as a GTX 580 SC, the PhysX in BL2 clearly isn't THAT demanding.

I would agree but the 20% FPS performance boost seems to state otherwise (GTX 680 alone versus GTX 680 with GT 640 OR GTX 580 SC). I guess it just seems any decent GPU will help performance when dedicated to PhysX.

I shouldn't really make a blanket statement that the PhysX isn't very demanding. It does seem to drag down a single card quite a bit and will bring an AMD system to its knees. But it doesn't seem to take very much power to offload the PhysX to a dedicated card.

Per the PC Perspective article...
UPDATE: I did finally get an answer from Gearbox about the slow downs we were seeing on the AMD results. Apparently when larger collections of PhysX simulations are running on the CPU, those threads can take quite a bit longer than they would when running on the GPU. As a result, the CPU (and rest of the game engine code) becomes "blocked" waiting for a single thread to finish, which results in the lower CPU utilization we saw on the AMD results as well as the lower overall performance. Because PhysX is an NVIDIA engine, even if Gearbox chose to they likely couldn't add in additional multi-threaded capabilities to the PhysX code path so the slow down here is likely to stay.

So maybe without a dedicated card, there's a lot of that "waiting for a single thread to finish" slowing down the single card solution where things are able to be done more in parallel with a dedicated card. Dunno, just pulling stuff out of my ass at this point.

What might be interesting is to chart GPU utilization with PhysX on High in a single card solution vs. with a dedicated card. If the utilization is similar or lower with the single card solution, that might point to some unoptimized PhysX code causing the whole system to slow down more than there being a lack of the raw processing power available.

I have been noticing that my GTX 580 SC fluctuates pretty wildly between 0% and ~40% utilization (highest I have seen it - purely from eyeballing the OSD) while playing Borderlands 2. I haven't tested what the GT 640 does (I'm settling in on the GTX 580 SC for PhysX just because I'm nuts).

If Gearbox would make a setting between "Low" (NO hardware PhysX) and "Medium" (uses hardware or cpu), I think you could run it on CPU just fine. The problem is that the effects are gratuitous to the point of looking almost stupid at times, especially in terms of how much debris builds up. Why not provide a TRUE "low" PhysX setting with a lot of the elemental effects but reduced debris/debrislife and maybe an option to disable fluid physics? There's room for a nice compromise, here, but since none of the PhysX .ini tweaks I've tried seem to do much I'm not sure it's something we can do on our own :/

Might break down and get a PCI GT430 anyway.

I have been using a 8800gts 640 with my 6770 and it works pretty well at 1080p with everything maxed i average around 50 with lags caused by fluid physics. Gets up to about 80% usage.

Am I the only person with a GTX 460 level PhysX card who ran into situations in coop where the dedicated card was at ~70% utilization?

Anyways, the GTX 660 is installed and working, but I won't have a chance to play much until after this Saturday. Hopefully the benchmark is out by then.

Am I the only person with a GTX 460 level PhysX card who ran into situations in coop where the dedicated card was at ~70% utilization?

Anyways, the GTX 660 is installed and working, but I won't have a chance to play much until after this Saturday. Hopefully the benchmark is out by then.

I haven't played co-op yet with this configuration (just on my SLI GTX 680 MSI Lightnings). Which benchmarks are you referring to? If it's my numbers, they're on the previous page.

I haven't played co-op yet with this configuration (just on my SLI GTX 680 MSI Lightnings). Which benchmarks are you referring to? If it's my numbers, they're on the previous page.

Oh I'm just referring to the in-game benchmark that hasn't been released yet. Since I can't accurately record a play through, I need something repeatable to help justify my purchase. :)

Oh I'm just referring to the in-game benchmark that hasn't been released yet. Since I can't accurately record a play through, I need something repeatable to help justify my purchase. :)

Ah cool. Had no idea that was in the works...nice. I say go with it. Although the 650 Ti drops in a week (rumor)!

Last edited:

I just finished setting up my GTX 460 as a dedicated PhysX alongside my 6850. Dinking around by myself in-game the most I saw was 46% load on the 460.

I basically used a corrosive SMG shot at the ground for particles, next to cloths and water, and threw some Slag grenades that sucks enemies in. This resulted in my grenades pulling water, dirt, acid, slag and cloths in a spiraling vortex before exploding. The most I saw by myself was a single cap at 46% load, but usually hovering around 25% on average.

Just picked up a gt 640 to use along side my 7970. I won't be able to test it out until Saturday, but from you guys are saying, I'm quite excited to see how it works out.

I'll be sure to report my usage numbers as best I can.

I just happened to be looking at some of the info on the CUDA cores on different model cards and I have to say I am liking the 640 the more you mention it as it has 384 cores compared to the 192 on the GTX 550 Ti I am using.

HOWEVER a warning to some there appears to be an oddball OEM GT 640 that only has 144 cores so is gimped compared to others so be on the lookout when shopping for a GT 640 and make sure you don't get this one to get the most out of it.

info is here: http://www./hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-640-oem/specifications

I just happened to be looking at some of the info on the CUDA cores on different model cards and I have to say I am liking the 640 the more you mention it as it has 384 cores compared to the 192 on the GTX 550 Ti I am using.

HOWEVER a warning to some there appears to be an oddball OEM GT 640 that only has 144 cores so is gimped compared to others so be on the lookout when shopping for a GT 640 and make sure you don't get this one to get the most out of it.

info is here: http://www./hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-640-oem/specifications

Isn't it more difficult to compare Fermi to Kepler because of the difference in the shader clock speed? Fermi clocks the shaders at twice the core speed.

For instance:

GT 640: 384 cores X 901 Mhz = 345,984
GTX 550ti: 192 cores x 1800 Mhz = 345,600

I don't think I'd upgrade from a 550 Ti to a GT 640 as a dedicated PhysX card. I know that PhysX is only using something like 175MB of memory when I play, but I wonder how much the speed of that memory comes into play. The 550 Ti is way ahead in that regard. Or just buy a GTX 650 and get rid of that problem completely. :)

Isn't it more difficult to compare Fermi to Kepler because of the difference in the shader clock speed? Fermi clocks the shaders at twice the core speed.

For instance:

I don't think I'd upgrade from a 550 Ti to a GT 640 as a dedicated PhysX card. I know that PhysX is only using something like 175MB of memory when I play, but I wonder how much the speed of that memory comes into play. The 550 Ti is way ahead in that regard. Or just buy a GTX 650 and get rid of that problem completely. :)

That's whats interesting at least from a Borderlands 2 perspective - my GTX 580 SC has 512 CUDA cores, my GT 640 has 384 CUDA cores - and they perform similarly. My just be that you need xxx *minimum* CUDA cores to really benefit as a dedicated PhysX processor...not sure. I mean, back when PhysX was solo (not owned by NVIDIA) the cards were around $100-$150, right?

Also, the gaming "feel" of the GTX 580 SC versus GT 640 as dedicated PhysX processors was very much the same, as well. If anything, the GT 640 felt smoother. Not sure why. Maybe it was my internal bias due to the cheaper price? Heh.

Last edited:

For instance:

Yep, can't go purely by shader count. As jolli mentioned, you basically have to cut Kepler cores in half to get the equivalent Fermi cores considering the speed difference.

Then, Tesla and older architecture cards were actually clock for clock better at compute functions than Kepler or Fermi.

For me, it came down to power consumption and price for performance. The GTX 650 is only a little bit more expensive than the GT 640, has much faster memory, and has a TDP of only 64W.

thats what I why I was looking at the 640, lower power usage, and possibly could be cooled fan-less

When I switched from 2x 6970s to 1 GTX 690 I was thrilled in the reduction in noise overall, and have been on a quest since for even more silence lol

I was pleasantly surprised this evening. I tried Hybrid PhysX with a Radeon HD 6870 as my primary GPU, and a GeForce 9600 GSO (the 92-bit crippled one) as the PhysX GPU.

With PhysX on high, I would only get about 6-8 FPS during intense firefights when utilizing my CPU (i5-2500k, stock speed). With hybrid PhysX, I get above 60 consistently, never dipping below 20 in intense firefights when utilizing the Geforce 9600 GSO.

I didn't think this old card had enough juice to make that much of a noticeable difference. I think I'll set PhysX to Medium and enjoy a smooth experience the whole way through.

EDIT: I followed this guide. Very handy. http://www.overclock.net/t/1307142/borderlands-2-with-hybrid-physx

Ok, update. So the 9600 GSO as dedicated PhysX is definitely better than the CPU - very noticeable difference. However, as I was playing with some buddies tonight, I learned that what I considered "intense firefights" were not exactly what I had imagined flying solo. We were in Bloodshot Stronghold, the area with the swirling water vortex in the middle of the floor... there were water physics, tons of particles from everyone shooting everywhere, the siren's phase lock sucking in particles, singularity grenades sucking in more particles and swirling them around, and the blood and guts physics too.

Bottom line, my FPS hit 11 for a good chunk of time... definitely not playable in my book. *sigh* these are the times you need good performance the most, so to me, it's not worth keeping this card in. It does look very pretty though, so I envy you who can run medium or high PhysX. Guess it's back to low for me :(

Pick up a GT 640. They're ~$100 and if you buy from a place like amazon you can return it if its not up to snuff...

I am getting a PCI GT430 tomorrow. Without replacing my motherboard it's about my only card option and previous benchmarks here suggested a 430 was adequate. But I'm not sure how the PCI interface will slow it, or if the 64-bit memory will affect it (tests were run on PCI-E 128-bit GT430).

I'll post my impressions when I get around to setting it up. Hoping it lets me get by with Medium at least. Most of the time I got by okay running on CPU, but fluids turned it into a slideshow.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok, update. So the 9600 GSO as dedicated PhysX is definitely better than the CPU - very noticeable difference. However, as I was playing with some buddies tonight, I learned that what I considered "intense firefights" were not exactly what I had imagined flying solo. We were in Bloodshot Stronghold, the area with the swirling water vortex in the middle of the floor... there were water physics, tons of particles from everyone shooting everywhere, the siren's phase lock sucking in particles, singularity grenades sucking in more particles and swirling them around, and the blood and guts physics too.

Bottom line, my FPS hit 11 for a good chunk of time... definitely not playable in my book. *sigh* these are the times you need good performance the most, so to me, it's not worth keeping this card in. It does look very pretty though, so I envy you who can run medium or high PhysX. Guess it's back to low for me :(
I tried hybrid physx with my 9800GTX+ and my results were similar. Even on medium there were lots of times it became nearly unplayable.

The game needs optimization as currently a lot of folks seem to be having a myriad of issues. I have mediocre performance myself even with a dedicated physx crd.

The big issue is people are expecting too much from too little.

a 9600, 9800 430, 210, so on and so forth will not do a great job for physx

Research it, there are quite a few threads on it here on this forum as well as many other places out on the net.

from my own past research and benchmarking (posted it here on this forum too) you need a card with at least 192 Cuda cores to have physX set to high and not bottleneck your primary video card. Which means a 450, 550, or 640 and up in their respective series are needed to do this.

The other thing to keep in mind is just cause you install a dedicated physX card doesn't mean your frame-rate will go to where it was with PhysX off. PhysX produces more items on screen to be rendered, more items on screen equals lower FPS. Granted I still don't think that PhysX is optimized properly yet but take a look at any game that uses PhysX you can have physX off and get 300FPS in a game with all the details cranked up, then turn PhysX to high with a dedicated high speed PhysX card and your framerate will instantly go to 112FPS less than half of what you were getting with it off.

Got my 430, going to try it later probably. Does anyone know if, when running PhysX with hardware, it ALSO uses the CPU? My Phenom II x6 did okayish much of the time, if it worked in conjuction with the 430 I'm sure I'd be in good shape here :/

Still can't seem to get it to work. I'm using MSI Afterburner and it shows no gpu use on the 430. I've tried multiple mods and combinations of drivers. Not sure what else to try :(

Last edited:
I implemented hybrid physx using a GTS 250 alongside my 7970. I have all graphical settings at high with PhysX set to medium. When it was working, compared to using the CPU, FPS was improved slightly, but ultimately I found the experience to be sub-par. Adding the GTS250 seemed to cause extra stuttering or longer load times when textures began to stream in. Ultimately, the deal breaker was not any of these issues or the relatively small increase, but the fact that after switching over to the hybrid setup, I began to have severe issues with the game. My game would freeze up randomly, go to black screen, and upon coming back the textures would have severe artifacts. Leaving the game would cause my rig to hard-lock, requiring a hard reset. The game would work fine for a while after coming back from the reset, but then the same thing would happen again. This never occured once prior to installing the nV card. I've since disabled it, removed all the drivers and re-verified the BL2 game cache on steam in the hopes that the problem will go away.

I can't get mine to work either actually... I can't even boot into windows with both cards installed. I'm guessing it's some sort of driver issue. Did you guys do something that I didn't?

Okay, here's all the steps I've done:

1) Install the latest WHQL driver and the latest PhysX software 9.12.013
2) Run Hybridiz.exe patch as admin.
3) move the following files to a different folder
cudart.dll
cudart32_30_9.dll
cudart32_41_22.dll
PhysXCooking.dll
PhysXCore.dll
PhysXDevice.dll
PhysXLoader.dll
4) edit C:\Document and Settings\user\Documents\My Games\Borderlands 2\WillowGame\Config\WillowEngine.ini and add bDisablePhysXHardwareSupport=False to [SystemSettings] section

after that PhysX actually works and GPU load on nvidia card goes to ~18%.

Can you be more specific about what Nvidia and AMD drivers you are using? And 9.12.013 PhysX software doesn't seem to exist anywhere that I can find, unless it maybe comes with the specific Nvidia driver you are using. I have an extremely similar setup and I can't get this to work at all :(

I am currently using Nvidia driver package:
306.23-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql
which includes PhysX 9.12.0604
AMD driver is 8.982

My card is a GT-430 512mb with the older PCI interface.

Alpert, what do you mean "new" patch?

Last edited:
Anyone else's computer run stupidly slow once they have the nvidia drivers installed along side the amd drivers?

I had to do some driver sweeping, card swapping nonsense just to get windows to boot with both amd and nvidia drivers installed. And it's running very poorly? What am I doing wrong?

Edit: looks like it's super high cpu usage. Anyone else getting this?

My setup is an HD7850 and a GT640 (Similar Setup), so I'll tell you what I did to get it running...

ATI Side = Cat 2.8 drivers
Nvidia Side = newest drivers
PhysX Side = 9.11.0621 PhysX 9.11.0621
The Mod I used was "v1.05ff" this is the older Mod but it works... I have no link for the Mod so I guess Google is your friend...

Install the newest ATI Drivers and reboot... Install the latest Nvidia drivers and reboot... Install the PhysX drivers and reboot... I know it's ALOT of rebooting but better safe then sorry... The ONLY file I removed from the BL2 Folder was PhysXdevice.dll... This allowed me to select ANY level of PhysX in the luancher and while in Game... Great framerates and it looks great...
This worked for me and I've had zero trouble from it...

My setup is an HD7850 and a GT640 (Similar Setup), so I'll tell you what I did to get it running...

ATI Side = Cat 2.8 drivers
Nvidia Side = newest drivers
PhysX Side = 9.11.0621 PhysX 9.11.0621
The Mod I used was "v1.05ff" this is the older Mod but it works... I have no link for the Mod so I guess Google is your friend...

Install the newest ATI Drivers and reboot... Install the latest Nvidia drivers and reboot... Install the PhysX drivers and reboot... I know it's ALOT of rebooting but better safe then sorry... The ONLY file I removed from the BL2 Folder was PhysXdevice.dll... This allowed me to select ANY level of PhysX in the luancher and while in Game... Great framerates and it looks great...
This worked for me and I've had zero trouble from it...

I appreciate the response and the steps you used. But I think my problem stems starts earlier than that. My rig won't boot into windows with both cards installed. I have my 7970 installed with the newest drivers, and if I install the gt 640, my right freezes at the Windows logo on boot. Did you guys install the card with your computer powered on? Is that an option?

I think I'm going to start a new thread for this....

@Panda:
Thank you so much! I will give it a try later this afternoon when I'm back from studying. Anyone else who was successful should also list their method in detail, it would be a lot of help to the rest of us. Btw the PhysX link didn't work, but I found it here. I have 1.05ff though I can't remember from where lol.

@PnkPwrRngr:
I had problems because my bios was set to ini the PCI card first. Maybe you should set it so your Nvidia card is started first, and connect your monitor to IT? Alternatively, remove your AMD card, see if you can get into windows with the Nvidia card alone and install drivers, then try again with the AMD card put back in. Or maybe boot into safe mode and see if you can install the Nvidia drivers there. Just a few ideas :/

PnkPwrRngr post the link to the new thread you are starting in here so we can try to help you out. I went through a similar issue once

@PnkPwrRngr:
I had problems because my bios was set to ini the PCI card first. Maybe you should set it so your Nvidia card is started first, and connect your monitor to IT? Alternatively, remove your AMD card, see if you can get into windows with the Nvidia card alone and install drivers, then try again with the AMD card put back in. Or maybe boot into safe mode and see if you can install the Nvidia drivers there. Just a few ideas :/

Thanks for the response. What does "ini the PCI card first" mean? I'm sure it's a misspelling, but I can't make it out. I did try booting up with just the gt 640 installed, but it would still freeze at windows logo while the AMD drivers were still installed. After I uninstalled the AMD drivers, I was able to boot with the gt 640 in either slot just fine. I tried then installing my 7970 and installing the AMD drivers second, but I got errors I haven't seen before about the driver not installing properly.

Link to new thread, so I don't steal this one. :D
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1721197

@Panda:
I followed your instructions, but to no avail. Roughly here's what I did:

Wipe all AMD/Nvidia/PhyX from system, including residual files
Install AMD Catalyst 12.8 and reboot
Install Nvidia 306.23 (driver only, no PhysX) and reboot
Install PhysX 9.11.0621 and reboot
Ran mod 1.05ff and restarted
Tried to run GPU-Z... it froze the system and I got a BSOD from the Nvidia driver
On reboot the 430 was disabled. Had to re-enable it
Used Afterburner instead, it detected and tracked both GPUs fine
Ran Borderlands 2, but it was still the same performance- fine in most battles but into the teens in certain areas (eg anywhere with water).
Checked Afterburner- there had been 0 GPU usage on the GT430, so it was doing nothing.

I'm not sure what to do next. I'm about to give up, I've spent so much time trying to get this to work that it's a bit ridiculous :(

*edit*
Also tried Nvidia drivers 285.62 (1.05ff is supposed to work with them, not 306), no luck
Also tried using the Hybridiz.exe mod with no luck.

Really annoying because if you could just turn off the stupid-looking water physics I'd be able to run it on CPU pretty nicely. In fact, I've been able to select medium/high from the start with no tweaks, maybe they enable it for 6+ core processors?

If anyone else has some ideas I'll give it another shot. At this point I think I should just enjoy the game. Or maybe try getting it working with another game. Maybe this card just won't work for some reason (eg because it's old PCI?).

*edit2*
Tried Batman:AA and Alice:MR. Both freeze on launch, can't be shut down in task manager. Then a message comes up about a minute later that the Nvidia driver crashed and recovered. Not sure what to think any more.

Last edited:
Jinx01, In the BL2 game Directory did you Move the PhysXDevice.dll file?!?
For me the file was located in "Steam\SteamApps\Common\Borderlands2\Binaries\Win32"
Moving or deleting that ONE file causes the game to use the Modified PhysX dll files... This needs to be done for ANY games or apps that you want Hybrid PhysX to work with...
The only way I KNOW that that it's working is that GPU-Z Show PhysX enabled on my 7850 and the GT640... Also because my Framerates are Great with PhysX on High... Benchmarks and Demos don't seem to work ofcourse I did't try that hard... Too busy playing BL2...

Just for reference this is my rig...
i7 3770 @ Stock Clock
7850 OC by Sapphire
GT640 by EVGA
16 Gigs DDR3 1600 Corsair
120 Gig Sata3 SSD Agility3
1 TB Sata3 Samsung Spinpoint
Sony Optiarc DVD Burner
24 inch Sony PS3 3D Monitor
Windows7 Professional x64

Yeah, I've been moving that file. Doesn't seem to make any difference. The only thing I have gotten it to work on is Fluidmark 5, and comically my CPU scored higher than it. That might not hold up in a game, though, where the CPU is otherwise occupied.

All I can think is that it's something to do with it being PCI, not PCI-E. Maybe the hacks just don't work for it.

Oh, and GPU-Z won't work with it. It freezes up, and crashes the Nvidia driver o_O I have to use MSI Afterburner to monitor its usage.

Last edited:
Jinx01, Others have gotten the 430 to work... I'm thinking you might be onto something with it being a PCI card being the issue... So that opens the question...

Has ANYONE been able to get an Old PCI Card to work with the Hybrid PhysX Hack?!?

I saw someone mention on this page that PCI cards would work for PhysX, though they didn't say they'd done it using an AMD hybrid setup.

Could there be an issue with my games being installed on a secondary drive? eg:
G:\Steam\steamapps\common\Borderlands 2

And does anyone know how the hack actually *works*? I read somewhere that it modified the default PhysX files in
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX
and that removing the game's own files forced it to default to those. But weren't there registry changes, too, that 'unlocked' using the Nvidia card for PhysX despite the AMD card also being there?

If I knew more I could check specifically in the registry. to be sure the filepaths, card names, etc look right.

Here's a weird one it says the card supports PhysX on Zotac's website (that's the EXACT card I have). The *box*, though, doesn't list PhysX as a feature even though it lists CUDA support. Is it possible that PhysX is disabled on this particular 430, despite what the website says? Note that I HAVE gotten it where a game seems to be trying to use the card (the card's gpu/mem speeds ramp up), but the game always freezes on boot. Note that I was at their website to see if they had a driver specific to this card since it's an oddball being PCI (my AGP HD3850 had a similar special driver). But the driver it has me download is simply the latest Nvidia driver, which is already installed.

[EDIT] I think I'm going to drop this for now and instead try tweaking .ini settings for PhysX. If I can remove the water and tweak the quantity/life of debris it should run fine on my Phenon II x6 CPU. As it is, most regular battles are just fine.

Last edited:
I
[EDIT] I think I'm going to drop this for now and instead try tweaking .ini settings for PhysX. If I can remove the water and tweak the quantity/life of debris it should run fine on my Phenon II x6 CPU. As it is, most regular battles are just fine.

Is it even possible to remove certain PhysX effects? The water effects absolutely destroy my i7-950, particularly in Caustic Caverns and Bloodshot Stronghold. In both of those cases the main problem is large bodies of water that are pointlessly modeled with physX effects that do almost nothing to enhance their realism (whirlpool, caustic lake). It makes a lot more sense to only model flowing water (broken pipes), or even just skip the water altogether since it doesn't look all that real to begin with, more like weird flowing goop in most cases. I'd gladly give up exploding barrels with goo inside if it meant I could keep the fabric and particle effects enabled without game-destroying slowdowns on certain levels.

Back