Physical security...biometrics... etc.

shroomiin

Gawd
Hi All..

Got a new job as network engineer for a company that works with sensitive data and ive been tasked with upping security measures in the data center.

Were looking for:
Biometric hand scanner for access to datacenter.
Trip switch to put on our rack cabinet doors
Laser sensors to put on top of the cage.

Has anybody dealt with anything like this before? hand scanners all seem to be geared toward emploee attendance, not locking a door.

Just looking for any helpful suggestions to lead me in the right direction... maybe a good vendor?

How sensitive of data? What kind of budget are you working with?

You can always request a data center tour with your service/hosting providers (XO, Level 3, Verizon, AT&T, etc.) as part of your DR plan and see how they implement it. Usually it involves 24 hour security guard, card or biometric scanner, locked cages, security dvrs, etc.

You can also talk to Diebold since they usually handle the auto closing door, card scanner, security alarm, dvrs, etc. for financial sector idf/mdf.

http://www.diebold.com/Pages/default.aspx

thanks for the input guys...
super sensitive data, we handle off-site backups for DR for high end clients such as NASA and the secret service. Budget is not a concern.

super sensitive data, we handle off-site backups for DR for high end clients such as NASA and the secret service. Budget is not a concern.

Find a contractor and use their expertise. I have a hard time believing you are already storing such sensitive data, when the DC is not certified and lacks these basic security measures.

Without a location, it will be hard to recommend vendors.

Find a contractor and use their expertise. I have a hard time believing you are already storing such sensitive data, when the DC is not certified and lacks these basic security measures.

Without a location, it will be hard to recommend vendors.

What Biznatch said. Find a high-end security vendor to consult with if you are working with more or less a blank check. If you have any local data centers, tour them, ask to talk with the DC operations manager and ask for their point of contact at their security vendor. They will easily beat out any consulting advice we can provide. I'm a CISSP and even I still leverage security vendors via RFPs as they will be up on all the latest security solutions.

We use Morphotrak units at our office. They bought out Bioscrypt a few years ago. The Morpho units are reliable as far as my experience. (Bioscrypt units were trash) They aren't cheap (compared to consumer units) and not off the shelf. Depending on location and # of units will determine your rep. They also have finger vein and facial scanners if you want to delve in that area.

Are you in a big name datacenter?

We are in QTS's Atlanta location and you have to go through 6 secure access points with badge, bio and retna scanners before you even get into the Datacenter floor, then your cage is locked, i'm sure they could give you additional security depending on the DC.

But even after all of the above, you physical security doesn't mean crap if the systems security is not up to the same par.

ah sorry guy- I think some of you don't understand that we're already in a reputable data center with all the normal security measures (key fobs, fingerprint scanning, security guards, etc).

We're trying to trick out our cage inside the data center... mostly for a "cool" factor to show potential clients. We want hand scan biometrics on the cage itself, trip switches for our rack cabinets, and sensors to go on top of the cage.

ah sorry guy- I think some of you don't understand that we're already in a reputable data center with all the normal security measures (key fobs, fingerprint scanning, security guards, etc).

We're trying to trick out our cage inside the data center... mostly for a "cool" factor to show potential clients. We want hand scan biometrics on the cage itself, trip switches for our rack cabinets, and sensors to go on top of the cage.

That seems more like a way to show your clients you don't have any faith in the security and/or the staff of the datacenter itself. If I was a client I would be wondering why you aren't just moving to a more secure DC.

Also, say one of those sensors/trips/whatever goes off, what could you do? Shut down the systems? Wipe the drives? How quickly could someone from your company even get to the DC?

OP: there are some standalone ip biometric devices from Fingertec I've seen. No experience with them though. You'd want a device that has an input for a sensor for when the door opens and a relay output for a door lock mechanism. This wouldn't be expensive and would work fine for show.

What laser sensors have you found so far that may be effective solutions?

We use Morphotrak units at our office. They bought out Bioscrypt a few years ago. The Morpho units are reliable as far as my experience. (Bioscrypt units were trash) They aren't cheap (compared to consumer units) and not off the shelf. Depending on location and # of units will determine your rep. They also have finger vein and facial scanners if you want to delve in that area.

Did you have any experience with the newer Bioscrypt 4G or 4G lite devices and would you consider them also trash?

We've looked at the Morpho products and ie Bioscrypt was bought from L1 and is managed thru secureadmin application which is a completely separate software from their other software management applications for other products. I wonder if there is any more development on the secureadmin software or any plans for a more encompassing single software management solution for their range of products.

How reliable and easy to use have you found the Morpho devices with vein scanning? Any experience with the J or Sigma devices?

Any other interesting solutions in this biometric space?

Last edited:
OP: there are some standalone ip biometric devices from Fingertec I've seen. No experience with them though. You'd want a device that has an input for a sensor for when the door opens and a relay output for a door lock mechanism. This wouldn't be expensive and would work fine for show.

What laser sensors have you found so far that may be effective solutions?

Did you have any experience with the newer Bioscrypt 4G or 4G lite devices and would you consider them also trash?

We've looked at the Morpho products and ie Bioscrypt was bought from L1 and is managed thru secureadmin application which is a completely separate software from their other software management applications for other products. I wonder if there is any more development on the secureadmin software or any plans for a more encompassing single software management solution for their range of products.

How reliable and easy to use have you found the Morpho devices with vein scanning? Any experience with the J or Sigma devices?

Any other interesting solutions in this biometric space?

yes. to be clear.. I have only a single experience from a newer "bioscrypt 4G" unit since they were bought out but the client that's using it hasn't had any issues that they've reported. I forget the model otoh but I do remember they looked similar to the older units but had a blue colored screen. It used secureadmin instead of veriadmin so I'm assuming its with the newer 4G tech. The older units (green screen) broke down so much they had a flat rate of $100 to "fix" 'em (basically swaps of repaired units)

fwiw Bioscrypt/L1 stuff is a dead end product. (according to Morpho reps) I'd look at Morphotrak. They've sent people to our tradeshows and offices. Real good guys and will jump through hoops to speed development if you require it. I can connect you with my contact if so. If all you need to do is setup one area.. (and don't need any special development) then you can just go through a local Morpho vendor. I haven't had any experience in our market with vein scanners (cost prohibitive) but our vendor says the technology is mature. (it's been available for a few years) No experience with others except usb pc biometric readers from M2Sys and UareU.

Last edited:
Back