Photo of a Fermi Card

Nvidia needs to stop showing these fake boards and just release the real thing already.:D

i can understand defending released product but defending unreleased unknown product is something else only real fan boys can do it lol

i can understand defending released product but defending unreleased unknown product is something else only real fan boys can do it lol

No one's defending an unreleased product. Simply trying to slow down some of the ignorance/fud that seems to be all too common around here these days.

You still didn't point anything out. That photo can go either way. Answering a question with a question means you're not sure yourself.

One of my first posts and others have posted counter arguments, such as you can see through it, the keyboard you cant see if lights are on or not and so on.

So it can go either way, sure, yet your post i quoted seems to clearly show that you know it is a fake somehow yet everyone else is not sure...

Originally Posted by WorldExclusive said:
Can somebody point out something major in that picture that proves that it's not fake? I know Nvidia fans will stay positive, but how can you when it's obvious the PC on the top shelf is running the benchmark with no cover on the GPU.

I hear people are more stupid than they look!!! :)
Get my drift, nobody can prove a thing so nobody should try.

exactly, the counter argument most have used here though have shown the obvious, as was mentioned, you can in fact see through the card.

There's a cut out in the pcb behind the fan to aid in intake, so seeing through there is normal.

Hey, do you think the card will come with free pie? I really hope so, I really like pie. Cake is nice too.

(Hey it's this or ramble on about how I'm not a fanboy and just find this thread amusing again. :) )

Hey, do you think the card will come with free pie? I really hope so, I really like pie. Cake is nice too.

(Hey it's this or ramble on about how I'm not a fanboy and just find this thread amusing again. :) )

THe Cake is a Lie

FANBOY WAR! its just like the special olympics!

There's a cut out in the pcb behind the fan to aid in intake, so seeing through there is normal.

I think what they are suggesting MisterSparkle is seeing through the fan is not-normal, --during operation--. If you take for example a house fan that's turned off. You can fairly clearly see all the blades. You turn it on and the blades start moving a bit faster than the human eye can see clearly and the blades become 'blurry' but you can kind of make out the shapes. You turn it onto medium, they become more blurry and you are less able to see the shapes. You turn it onto high, it becomes very blurry and nearly imposible to see the shapes of the individual fan blades or the space inbetween the fan blades.

In the photo, we can see both the shape of the fan blades(blurred slightly from photo quality) and see through the fan blades (suggesting the fans are moving at a very slow speed or not moving or that the camera's shutter speed was very high).

There's a few issues with that. If the fans are not moving and the card is really performing a benchmark, why the heck not? That's going to cause massive overheating and possibly ruin one of the possibly few working Fermi engineering samples or throttling back to occur causing a lower benchmark score wondering what the point mof the benchmark is if its not to test the cards speed? Logical paradox?

The second issue, if the fan is going very slow, well, refer back to same rationale as above

The third issue, if the camera's photo quality is really blurry/bad almost looking like something taken with a cellphone camera. IE, an iPhone, HTC Touch or what-not, usually these phones don't have very high shutter speeds. Infact, they have relatively low shutter speeds. High shutter speeds usually tend to come from actual mid-range camera and very high shutter speeds usually tend to come from SLR cameras. If a mid-range or high-end camera had a taken the photo, it likely would have been not nearly as blurry. So we're left with that logical paradox again.

So it seems difficult to with a low shutter speed on a cellphone camera, to accurately capture the movement of the fan blades with the fan blades were moving fast like a few thousand rpm per minute and to be able to see the space inbetween the fan-blades unless the fan blades were moving slowly or not at all. Slow fan blades or a fan not moving at all during a benchmark makes little to no sense, eh?

Of course, its all conjecture and none of it is proof of anything. Its just ...odd.

you know, the fakest part is the LCD,

you can't get a proper exposure on a black object and at the same time a proper exposure on the bright LCD screen, the montior would either be under-exposured or over-exposured. you just can't take pic like that. No way the lcd can be that natural unless it is photoshopped. try taking a pic of your lcd and and desk yourself, you will see what i am talkin about

you can't get a proper exposure on a black object and at the same time a proper exposure on the bright LCD screen, the montior would either be under-exposured or over-exposured. you just can't take pic like that. No way the lcd can be that natural unless it is photoshopped. try taking a pic of your lcd and and desk yourself, you will see what i am talkin about

Hehe, I think if they faked the LCD screen, they'd probably would take the time to fake the screen properly. A screen that would show that final benchmark score. Something just high enough to be possible but not extreme. IE, Not 500 fps but like 70fps for a single fermi at 1920x1080x4aa in dx11 /w tessolation? I think that score would be pretty impressive but not entirely or completely impossible.

Hehe, just to get people hyped up and kill some of the 5970s steam. Nvidia fans would be able to shout about how great Fermi dual gpu cards would be hehe.

I know what you mean though, some monitors when you take photos of them, they really do blur, leave scan-lines, etc.

You guys are unbelievable !
Have you though about how hard it would be to have another computer running the benchmark but hidden from the picture?
A caveman could do it so I would expect anyone doing a fake to be a bit more careful dont you....? gosh
Still i do not care if it is real or not, it is just a screenshot anyway.

Thats actually one of the first things I thought when I saw this pic. Really nice monitor to have a viewing angle like that and not have the display degrade.

You guys are unbelievable !
Have you though about how hard it would be to have another computer running the benchmark but hidden from the picture?
A caveman could do it so I would expect anyone doing a fake to be a bit more careful dont you....? gosh
Still i do not care if it is real or not, it is just a screenshot anyway.

Well they weren't very carefull with the "this thing here, this baby, is fermi" deal. Why should this time be any different?

Anyway I don't believe this was faked. But it really casts a shadow over fermi. I mean they had the heaven demo running, why post just a pic of it but not the result. Probably because of a less than stellar score.

nvidiafake.jpg

Well I don't know if it's real or fake, but what I do know is that I've taken many pics of spinning fans and it most of the pictures the fans looked like they were completely still, so atleast that argument means nothing.

I think what they are suggesting MisterSparkle is seeing through the fan is not-normal, --during operation--. If you take for example a house fan that's turned off. You can fairly clearly see all the blades. You turn it on and the blades start moving a bit faster than the human eye can see clearly and the blades become 'blurry' but you can kind of make out the shapes. You turn it onto medium, they become more blurry and you are less able to see the shapes. You turn it onto high, it becomes very blurry and nearly imposible to see the shapes of the individual fan blades or the space inbetween the fan blades.

In the photo, we can see both the shape of the fan blades(blurred slightly from photo quality) and see through the fan blades (suggesting the fans are moving at a very slow speed or not moving or that the camera's shutter speed was very high).

There's a few issues with that. If the fans are not moving and the card is really performing a benchmark, why the heck not? That's going to cause massive overheating and possibly ruin one of the possibly few working Fermi engineering samples or throttling back to occur causing a lower benchmark score wondering what the point mof the benchmark is if its not to test the cards speed? Logical paradox?

The second issue, if the fan is going very slow, well, refer back to same rationale as above

The third issue, if the camera's photo quality is really blurry/bad almost looking like something taken with a cellphone camera. IE, an iPhone, HTC Touch or what-not, usually these phones don't have very high shutter speeds. Infact, they have relatively low shutter speeds. High shutter speeds usually tend to come from actual mid-range camera and very high shutter speeds usually tend to come from SLR cameras. If a mid-range or high-end camera had a taken the photo, it likely would have been not nearly as blurry. So we're left with that logical paradox again.

So it seems difficult to with a low shutter speed on a cellphone camera, to accurately capture the movement of the fan blades with the fan blades were moving fast like a few thousand rpm per minute and to be able to see the space inbetween the fan-blades unless the fan blades were moving slowly or not at all. Slow fan blades or a fan not moving at all during a benchmark makes little to no sense, eh?

Of course, its all conjecture and none of it is proof of anything. Its just ...odd.
Let me preface this by stating I am not a fan boy. For nearly a decade I had just nVidia cards. Prior to that it was ATI. Now I have both ATI and nVidia. Being a fan boy of anything means you are just putting on your blinders.

Now, basically this is what I was thinking that seems to prove most likely that it is a fake. I tried to view the EXIF data on this photo but my guess is that the website TwitPic strips that data like many other photo sharing sites.

But as a published photographer, it simply does not make sense that we can see one fan clearly moving while the other is not. From this evidence we can basically assume that the card in the foreground is not running.

Now this doesn't prove that it isn't a Fermi running the Heaven benchmark. For all we know the card running in the background is also a Fermi card but isn't in the picture perfect condition that nVidia might have wanted to get people excited about the Fermi and hold off on purchasing a 5970.

Last edited:
Well I don't know if it's real or fake, but what I do know is that I've taken many pics of spinning fans and it most of the pictures the fans looked like they were completely still, so atleast that argument means nothing.

problem is one appears to be moving and the other does not. I'd understand if they either both looked like they were moving or both appeared to be stopped with a high shutter speed.

Could you also see through the fan blades?

....You guys do realize it's a centrifugal fan right? Just like nV's been using since the 8-series? You actually can see the blades moving along the lower right edge of the circle. If it was off, you would see the blades defined. I know someone is going to mention the supports, they are just lost with the slow shutter combined with being pretty thin. The tesla mockup had them in silver, this one obviously doesn't.

Edit: see next post for test pictures I took.

Apparently some of you have never been in a engineering/test lab, not uncommon at all to have multiple systems stacked anywhere there is room.

02.jpg

nvidia-gt300-video-card-3.jpg

Last edited:
My 8800GTX is a fake!

IMAG0105.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

IMAG0107.jpg

Taken with my TouchPro, to replicate camera phone results. I even used a flash, at really close range to try and get worst case scenario.

Sometimes you gotta put down the internet conspiracy and go look at what you are talking about.

Last edited:
[RCKY] Thor;1034941284 said:
My 8800GTX is a fake!

IMAG0105.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

IMAG0107.jpg

Taken with my TouchPro, to replicate camera phone results. I even used a flash, at really close range to try and get worst case scenario.

Where are the fan blades?

Edit: Sorry I couldn't see them because the card is running.

THe Cake is a Lie

The cake is a spy ;)

No it isn, the screen is darker to the left brighter to the right, also the distance from the LCD would matter, that is not fake, not sure what model is is but looking at my dell LCD from a similar angle, the screen is still clear.

angle, the other mouse is facing more towards you then the close one, also someone else may have have hit the mouse or moved it prior to an image, and no that doesnt automatically mean that it is running the demo, also it is darker so you see the light more, vs the in front mouse it seems they used a flash for the picture, thus it drowns out the red.

that weird looking thing is attached to another system one a 2nd level bench station.

as for the angle, the weight of the cards heat sink would not let it sit 90 degree's straight, when you install a card in your system that is dual slot, it sags down from the weight.

as said, the fans are under the cover, so you cant see them anyways, also it depends on how fast their shutter was set, if a poorly lit room, you wont capture the fan still cause the aperture isn't good enough, for every argument of this being a fake it seems their is easily a counter argument to bunk it.

I really don't see what the craziness is about. The card obviously exists, in one form or another. Whether or not the image is real is unimportant as far as I'm concerned because it's not like they're faking the results of the benchmark or something like that, where the card being used is actually under question. Furthermore I really really doubt someone would go through the trouble of faking another fermi pic, seeing as there's always someone who's able to spot photoshops, and after the fiasco at the tech conference, nvidia cant afford a similar fuck up.

People are actually responding to those pics covered in text. i lold
Yeah I still don't know what's going on here.
Is that picture even from a reliable Nvidia source? Even so, people are over-analyzing this picture like they're trying to figure out who shot Kennedy. I still can't believe it.

I keep thinking [H] is being punked.
Does Ashton Kutcher have a HardForum account?

Back