Phone Issue.. Non-responsive Seller

radeon962

[H]ard|Gawd
Not sure how many here have used Swappa, but I have bought a few phones and sold a few as well but my latest purchase appears to be going south. Purchased an HTC One and paid immediately following, updated my shipping info, etc. To date, no contact from the seller, but went through Paypal and emailed the person that is linked to the account and he reports that the seller of the phone is his brother and that he asked to use his Paypal account to sell the phone.

He in turn provides me with his brother's email which I have emailed a few times and also made a few comments on the sale page at Swappa. "Crickets Chirping" as I have not received any response from the seller, but whenever I email the "brother" he responds in a reasonable time frame.

As it seems to be a little sketchy, I filed a dispute with Paypal. I have to wait until June 11 to escalate it to a claim, but my hope is that by filing the dispute, the funds would be frozen by Paypal and entice the brother to slap his brother in the head and tell him to ship the phone so that he does not have to refund the payment.

I guess my question: by filing the dispute am I thinking correctly that the funds will be frozen by Paypal until the seller either ships the phone and I confirm receipt or refunds my payment? I want the phone, but at this point I would take the refund and move on.

I know once it's escalated to a claim then Paypal has to investigate, but what do they do with the dispute, just sit there and see what happens until it moves to a claim?

I have not had to do this before, so just looking for some advice.

Thanks, Bill

Filing a dispute is the best option in this case, escalate when possible, at this point your only hurting yourself if you either drop it, or let it sit. Only way to stay in the "green" on your end is to keep your course of action, get money back, and just buy from someone/where else.

I believe the "seller" already violated the rules when he claim he let his brother use his account to sell things. So with that violation, you should be getting your money back. And it is likely his account would be banned.

Swappa already refunded the $10 Swappa fee, but I can't escalate to a claim until the 11th

Yes. When I filed the dispute, they give you a start date and end date of when you can escalate to a claim.

I believe the "seller" already violated the rules when he claim he let his brother use his account to sell things. So with that violation, you should be getting your money back. And it is likely his account would be banned.

Uh. No... You can have joint owners of an account...

And if this wasn't true and he did violate the rules, that wouldn't in any way guarantee a refund in this transaction which is totally unrelated.

Called Paypal Saturday night and they escalated it to a claim, so I have to wait 10 days now to see where it goes. Funny thing is that they have frozen the funds in the sellers account, but still no response from the seller. I asked if they had sufficient funds in the account to cover the refund and the CSR said yes they do and that they were now frozen.

Buyer and Seller both receive emails direct from Paypal when the claim is made and then when it's escalated to a claim a new email is sent to both, so you would think that would get the seller to respond but nothing so far.

Well if he's a scammer he's probably just pulled as many scams as possible in the past few weeks and doesn't care too much...

Potentially he could still ship you the phone and get the your money.

I would take the phone or the money. Either way is fine with me.

Looking for a second HTC One to root as I really like Sense (I know blasphemy, but it just works on the One). I want to try out some other Rom's and the Faux kernel, but I don't want to mess up my primary phone.

Back