Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

Guys
there are 2 models of Phillips 40" 4k and am confused as to which one to get
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=3840+X+2160+phillips+40&N=-1&isNodeId=1

PHILIPS BDM4065UC Black 40’’ 3ms 4K UHD Large Format Monitor VA Panel Built-in Speakers

Philips 4065UC 40” UHD 4K 3840x2160 Truevision MHL VH Panel Computer Monitor

other than speakers, any major difference ??
and where do we get Philips Driver for 60hz

""3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz (with DP: Philips Driver Installation Required) ""

There is only one it is just the different sellers that list it differently.

BTW, have you noticed that information in review by tom's ? Holding the joystick for 3 seconds serves actually as the power on/off ...didn't know it, but useful as hell..

ok. thanks
does. did the Phillips driver help to get 60hz ?

? Is there an issue getting 60hz?

Like with other 4K monitors one needs to set the monitor to be Display Port 1.2, but that is it and no monitor drivers are needed.

Philips does supply a pretty neat monitor tool called SmartControl which lets you easily have different monitor profiles. And it also adds a fancy button to all windows where you can easily size windows and fx. make a window use up 1/3 of the monitor area.

BTW, have you noticed that information in review by tom's ? Holding the joystick for 3 seconds serves actually as the power on/off ...didn't know it, but useful as hell..

There is a on/off switch right next to the joystick that works instantly, so why wait 3 seconds?

Not that I ever turn off the monitor anyway. It uses like 0.nothing watt in stand by mode, so it is easier simply letting it go to stand by when there is nothing to display and back on when there is.

? Is there an issue getting 60hz?

Like with other 4K monitors one needs to set the monitor to be Display Port 1.2, but that is it and no monitor drivers are needed.

Philips does supply a pretty neat monitor tool called SmartControl which lets you easily have different monitor profiles. And it also adds a fancy button to all windows where you can easily size windows and fx. make a window use up 1/3 of the monitor area.

I haven't recd mine yet, but I see others talk about setting to get 60Hz.
how do we set the monitor to use Display Port 1.2 ? is it in Monitor Menu ?
or
Nvidia control panel ?
1st time , going to use Display port and 4k, so havent done these ever

I haven't recd mine yet, but I see others talk about setting to get 60Hz.
how do we set the monitor to use Display Port 1.2 ? is it in Monitor Menu ?
or
Nvidia control panel ?
1st time , going to use Display port and 4k, so havent done these ever

in the monitor menu, pretty easy to find

if your monitor and/or video card driver keeps reverting to 30hz, you need a newer/higher quality cable. look back a few pages and I reposted the link that others have used with success

I highly doubt you'll see anything that will make you regret going 40".

I moved to the Philips from a 27" 1440p and thus went from nice frame rates to just playable and have not noticed anything terrible. This is with a 7970 GPU which I did not really expect to allow fro games to be even playable i 4K, but games like Far Cry 4 are in fact mostly okay. That being said I'm actually in the process of upgrading to a Fury X right now - doing some backups right now prior to doing so as I will also be going Windows 10.

One thing most people fail to consider when comparing this monitor with one of those ultra wide 30 or 32" is that you can use custom resolutions to achieve the same effect those monitors offer. Just larger.
It adds black borders like in ultra wide movies, but the blacks on this monitor are so good you don't even notice.

So to get better frame rates you could run custom resolutions like 3840x1080 or 3840x1440.

in the monitor menu, pretty easy to find

if your monitor and/or video card driver keeps reverting to 30hz, you need a newer/higher quality cable. look back a few pages and I reposted the link that others have used with success

thks and much appreciated. let me go thry monitor menu
I have decided to use Displayport cable as HDMI is confusing me with HDMI 1.2 and HDMI 2.0

.Originally Posted by BlindZenDriver View Post
I highly doubt you'll see anything that will make you regret going 40".

now, only thing I am concerned is my Desk size to fit the huge 40" monitor
has anyone had problem of desk size being NOT big enough to fit 40" and upgraded to a bigger Desk
as I think we should keep the 40" atleast 1 feet away from where we keep 27"monitor

has anyone had problem of desk size being NOT big enough to fit 40" and upgraded to a bigger Desk
as I think we should keep the 40" atleast 1 feet away from where we keep 27"monitor

If you by "away" refer to the distance between your eyes and the surface of the screen then I'd say using the same distance as with a 27" 1440p will the right choice.

Yes the 40" is gonna be bigger, but the pixels are close to the same size as on a 27" 1440p so keeping the same distance will be the way to go.

For comparison:

A 27" 2560x1440 monitor is 23.5" × 13.2" at 109PPI
The 34" 3440x1440 monitors are 31.4" × 13.1" at 110PPI
This Philips 40" 3840x2160 monitor is 34.9" × 19.6" at 110PPI

Basically, it's the same pixel pitch as the 27" and 34" monitors that are quite popular these days, but expanded 3.5" wider than the 34" monitors and 6.5" taller than the 27" and 34" monitors.

I'm quite torn on whether or not this is just too big to be practical. My 34UM95 is already about as wide as I'd like, so to make this 40" version work I'd have to sit a bit farther back from it.
It seems like a decent monitor and that 5000:1 contrast is appealing but how could anyone use a monitor which is so large? Is this size usable?

My desk is large enough but having to have it so far away might be a problem. I would need it at the back of my desk and even then I think I might have difficulty seeing the whole screen without moving my head.

Would such a PPI be okay without any problems with windows scaling which is poor on anything but the most recent incarnation which I do not have? If it's the same PPI as the other lower res monitors I guess it might be okay.

It seems like a decent monitor and that 5000:1 contrast is appealing but how could anyone use a monitor which is so large? Is this size usable?

Absolutely. Not only usable, but (IMO) desirable. I wouldn't want anything smaller in 4K. 32" is a nice size for a monitor but then you're dealing with either scaling, or really small text (a compromise either way). If you're gaming, 40" is preferable due to the increased immersion.

**MaRVeL** said:
My desk is large enough but having to have it so far away might be a problem. I would need it at the back of my desk and even then I think I might have difficulty seeing the whole screen without moving my head.

That concern is overblown, IMO. I worried about the same thing but although it's a bit overwhelming at first, you quickly get used to it. With 40" you can get by with using your eyes rather than turning your head. Just try to put about 24-30" of distance between your head and the screen and you'll be fine. Any concerns about this will be put to rest once you realize how awesome the experience and usability is.

**MaRVeL** said:
Would such a PPI be okay without any problems with windows scaling which is poor on anything but the most recent incarnation which I do not have? If it's the same PPI as the other lower res monitors I guess it might be okay.

Yep, that's the whole point behind getting a large 4K vs. one of the 28"/32" models.

Think of it as having a big desk vs. a small one. With a small desk you'll be fine reading a book and maybe having a notepad on the side for putting down ideas, but with a big desk you can have the book, the notepad and perhaps a map or a few other books at hand for reference.

Having a big screen with high resolution is the same thing. Sometimes you'll be using the whole thing to overlook a map or diagram or something, but other times you might have a web page open plus a spreadsheet plus something else like say a window streaming the news. It is sort of the same as many people including myself have been doing by having multiple monitors, only it works a lot better since having on big surface is a lot more flexible.

I just started looking into other monitors, as there's nothing wrong with mine but I just prefer something bigger. I've been gaming on my big hdtv all these years with consoles, but I really want to start taking advantage of the games I have on steam with a bigger pc monitor (for those superior multiplats). While I've entertained the idea of dragging my PC into the living room..I just don't wanna. I would rather have a real monitor on my desk in my bedroom where I can game all snot-nosed in my pjs and just not give a crap. lol

I'm currently using a 24" Eizo Foris VA panel, which some consider to be the best 24" PC gaming monitor on the market due to the incredible contrast ratio, colors almost on par with IPS, no IPS glow (which I hate), and having the super fast refresh rate. All this is fine and dandy except for the fact that it's only 24" and I don't see a 27-32" VA replacement. I absolutely love the contrast and motion (although I can live w/ 60hz) this monitor provides in games such as Doom 3, Dead Space, etc (my fav genre is action horror) and I knew I would have hard time replacing it with something else. I would love a larger replacement for the multiplats that run better on PC..and who knows if the contrast is good enough then my darker games will be awesome as well. Even if it's not quite the performer as my Foris..I'm willing to sacrifice *some* for more real estate. I want to become immersed.

I dunno how I ended up in this thread but here I am. I love the idea of having a 40" on my large desk (my 24" looks silly on it and I'm not a fan of multiple monitors) but is this particular Philips ready for prime time? How does it compare to other brands/models of this size? Pricing I can deal with if it's a quality panel so I have the means to afford it..my only concern is it being a step backwards from what i have. Mind you..I fell in love with VA panel tech so I'm specifically looking for this. I REFUSE TO OWN ANY MORE IPS PANELS. Reason? I strongly dislike the glow. I've had over a dozen IPS/TN panels in my life and I'm through with all of it. TN quality is piss poor and IPS glow is bad for the games I like (and I play in the dark). So the Foris I have kinda wins by default if ya know I mean. Not that I'm an Eizo fan or anything...but if this panel's VA is anything like mine than I'll become a fan of Philips real quick!

Oh and lastly about gaming at 4K.. since I've never gamed at this resolution I suppose I'm in for a treat. But I know it takes some serious gpu power, and I'm not going to let that stop me. I always buy things to futureproof (why I bought my Pioneer Kuro back in 08' and aint seen nothing yet minus OLED to top it). I currently have a GTX 780 TI, but I have no problem upgrading this. Bottom line is that I want a monitor that will last me at least 5 years, and by this time next year I'll have the latest Nvidia gpu. I have a large back catalog of games to play that probably won't need so much power so I'm good to go. Btw..do the majority of older games scale properly at 4K (with patches or fixes etc) because I have loads of old games I want to play such as the original Far Cry, Crysis, etc even older titles such as UT2k4, or how about even Doom 2? Call me crazy but has anyone played Doom 2 at 4K? Is it possible?

edit- Regarding PWM or whatever.. I have tried some Dell monitors in the past that gave me eyestrain. I am sensitive to the flickering, and specifically searched for monitors that are flicker-free such as the Eizo. If if a monitor is flicker-free at certain brightness I'll take it. As long as it doesn't cause eyestrain as I tend to sit at my desk for long periods of time. I'm not sure how this Philips is rated so I would need to know this as well. I am used to having brightness set low due to gaming in a dark/dim room, and bringing out the details in content. I've kinda adopted the idea that light hurts contrast which in turn makes games look worse so having a good 'dark room' display is priority for me. Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited:
Enable DSR in your nVidia panel, and enable the 4x selection (which should correspond to 4k). T

Set games you want to play to run on 4k resolution and see if they run properly or if there is any undesirables.

Some games do not scale UI correctly some times, and do so erratically. For example, Mass effect 1 UI doesn't scale (making the UI completely illegible on 27" screen size), 2 scales fine, 3 doesn't scale (bizarre situation).

DSR is what I used to 'test' games at 4k, and after several games (mostly recent-ish), I decided to stay away from 4k for my main monitor.

I am currently looking into getting a large 4k as my secondary monitor, this checks a lot of boxes, except it's not flicker-free. I have no idea if PWM will affect my eyes, and I am not in a position to gamble it, our consumer laws are seldomly followed, so I will have no way to return the monitor for a refund if I found PWM affects my eyes, unless the monitor itself is defective.

My desk is quite small, only 120cm wide and I think 40 or 50cm deep.
This monitor is 90.4cm wide so I'll have 15cm on each side for my speakers.

I'm replacing a Dell 27" 2560x1440 with this. The ppi is the same, so I'm keeping it at the same distance and will keep scaling at 100%

Last edited:
I have just read a review saying that it uses PWM so that rules out yet another panel. Why oh why are some manufacturer's still using PWM in this day and age?

One more ruled out, the list is getting pretty small with no clear favourite as they all have pretty significant failings. At least I won't have to pay out so much as this is fairly expensive.

I very much doubt that anyone uses 100% brightness, it's the first setting to significantly lower. With PWM this monitor has a fundamental flaw which makes it a no go for me.

I use 100% brightness with hardware calibrator to adjust everything else...

It's one thing to lower things just to lower them, but when calibrating to higher cd/m2 it's really a non-issue.

Am I the only one @ 100% brightness and think it looks fine? It's not too bright for me..

Am I the only one @ 100% brightness and think it looks fine? It's not too bright for me..

There are a LOT of people who don't like 100% brightness, I myself use my Crossover (same panel, similar backlight) at near-100% brightness and I love it, but some people want a dimmer image for eye sensitivity, concentration, whatever.

I could not use 100% brightness without it burning my eyes out or causing severe problems. I would use a very low brightness in a dimly lit room with background lighting.

I very much doubt that anyone uses 100% brightness, it's the first setting to significantly lower. With PWM this monitor has a fundamental flaw which makes it a no go for me.

I have mine at 100% all the time. The only I turned it down was to try and see if I would detect flickering and while I did not I find no reason to run at less than 100%.

I'm guessing there are two reasons 100% brightness is fine. First of all the Philips does not come with the most powerful of lights so 100% is perhaps more like 60% of a very bright monitor - here is some numbers from tomshardware.com:

01-maxwhite_w_755.png

The second reason is one that I have no real data only it seems logical to me. Since the 40" is so bright sitting in front of it is not like sitting in front of a spot light, but like sitting at a window so you vision adjusts itself to the brightness just like when you're outside on a bright day.

Also a note on PWM in general. The refresh rate of the PWM matters also - while not the fastest with 240 Hz the Philips is certainly not that bad either.

Unfortunately that is almost 3x my current brightness setting

You can't compare it like that. That is like saying some toy boom box plays as loud as the sound system at a concert simply because the volume goes to 10 in both cases.

I finally got this monitor, and liking it a lot.

But it's too low to the desk.

I'm wondering what kind of arms/mounts people have gotten for it?

I'd love to find something for less than €100.

(Earlier in thread someone recommended a "HP single monitor arm" but that's €120 over here in Spain.)

Any other options?

Thanks!

You can't compare it like that. That is like saying some toy boom box plays as loud as the sound system at a concert simply because the volume goes to 10 in both cases.

I already took my brightness setting and luminance into account. The Luminance of the monitor I am currently using, at my present brightness setting, is about 100cd/m2 (Brightness 15)

The maximum brightness of this monitor is speced at 280, hence almost 3x

Hi Guys,

I have this monitor, but it only has HDMI 1.4 and DP1.2. So do you think there is any chance of streaming netflix 4k or any streaming service in 4k? As I heard most if not all require HDCP 2.2 unless there is an adaptor that will make it work with this monitor...? Was looking at Roku 4, Nvidia shield etc etc

Thanks,
K.

Ordered one:)
Courier delivered it this morning to my neighbor - I will be playing hard tonight! :D

My desk is 50x105cm, so very small. I will be hanging it over the desk but still need to get bigger top.
This is Ikea desk, so will get 60x120cm table top and swap it with the small one.
This way I will gain space for my Soundsticks3 and PC will sit on the right of the monitor.

Happy days! :)

Last edited:
So i'm curious, for those of you that currently own this display, what is the best option if you are looking to lower the brightness down so reduce eye strain and fatigue.

I'm contemplating in purchasing one of these and am debating between it and the BenQ BL3200PT.

OK... I don't know how to discribe it...

I started with 14" CRT in early 90s, then had 15", 19" CRT. Then 19" LCD in 1999.
After that I had Dell 24" 2407 and after that one, Hazro 27" 1440p.

But this... this is something entirely different. This is phenomenal, extraordinary, unreal!

Guys, sitting in front of 40" VA monitor is a totally new experience.

I just played MGS5 and tried Witcher 3 - those games should be obligatory to play first after purchasing this screen. These games should come with this monitor as a bundle. Graphics set to full/extra high details in 4K resolution look incredible. WOW...
To be honest I haven't even expected anythign like that. This is beyond me.

To everyone who's planning buying new monitor - either 27" or ultra wide 34" - consider 40", or at least find a way to see it for yourself - this is a must for gamers.

OK, photos tomorrow, I'm going back to Witcher:)

^ Yes, I know full well what you speak of. :) I don't own this particular monitor, but I too went from a 34" ultrawide to a 40" (now 48") and it is indeed an experience to behold. Simply awe-inspiring for games, and the extra desktop real estate benefits are huge.

Nightingale007, I owned the BL3200PT and it was a fine monitor, but having gone 40"+ I don't think I could go back now. I know NCX gave you a different answer in your thread, and I can't disagree with what he said, but for me there's just no going back to a smaller screen now.

OK, so what should I check now when I got it?
What kind of tests should I run to make sure I got a good screen?
You know, banding, flickering bad pixels etc

Phinix: nice marketing for Philips right there :) haha

I haven't tried those games yet, too afraid as I only have a GTX 970.

Only played CS:GO and LoL in 4k so far.

What fps are you getting in MGS5? Also did you max aa and ultra settings?

MSG5 shows constant 60fps. All ultra settings, aa on, everything on.
Witcher is 32-40fps but thats with all uber settings and aa and nvidia hair on. I think I will turn off hair and aa next time I play cause its no point. But ave 35fps is fine anyway

Phinix: So how is the ~30-40 fps refresh on such a large monitor? I know the sides of your eyes are more sensitive to flickering, but couldn't work out if refresh would affect that.

Back