Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

Not necessarily true they might pull the same trick Phillips is pulling and just use one of their curved tv panels (not necessarily ones that already exist), since doing this is not only cheaper for them, but also cheaper for their buyers. Considering how well this monitor is selling it might be a strong possibility.

I believe curved 34 inchers are also selling briskly, my concern is that they want to sell those first without giving people choice, before engaging into 40" curved. That can mean one year of waiting.

From Amazon:
"Due to a lack of availability, we will not be able to obtain the following item(s) from your order:

"Philips BDM4065UC 40" Class 4K UHD 3840 x2160 Resolution, Speakers, USB Hub, VGA, DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort, HDMI, MHL-HDMI"

We've canceled the item(s) and apologize for the inconvenience."

I guess people in the US will have to get it shipped internationally after all.

This is CRAPTASTIC!

From Amazon:
"Due to a lack of availability, we will not be able to obtain the following item(s) from your order:

"Philips BDM4065UC 40" Class 4K UHD 3840 x2160 Resolution, Speakers, USB Hub, VGA, DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort, HDMI, MHL-HDMI"

This doesn't necessarily mean that the US release has been cancelled. Maybe Philips has simply had to delay it (possibly with an unknown ETA) and Amazon isn't willing to keep orders in their system past a certain period without knowing when they'll be able to fulfill them. But of course even a delay is unfortunate all on its own.

I believe curved 34 inchers are also selling briskly, my concern is that they want to sell those first without giving people choice, before engaging into 40" curved. That can mean one year of waiting.

Well considering nothing has been announced yet, I would say at least 1 year until release of such monitors (if they get made ofc) is pretty much a given.

There will be a 2nd card in the very very near future :)

You might consider waiting to see how the gtx 970 3.5/4.0 GiB issue shakes out. People are starting to examine how the 970 handles hi resolutions under SLI, and Nvidia might (or might not) be able to tweak things somewhat.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2tuqd4/i_benchmarked_gtx_970s_in_sli_at_1440p_and_above/

edit: big post got deleted, but the discussion is still hanging around.

Selling off your 4GiB 970 and getting a pair of 8GiB 970s, etc., might work substantially better for you.

Last edited:
Same email from Amazon here , meaning it pushed past their original mid feb-early march shipping estimate.

Getting this thing in the US directly looking less likely for Q1.

You cannot get it in Europe either.. May be for a 1000€ if you are lucky, but I guess the production is still the problem... There was a batch, but it disappeared quickly.. Now it looks like it will be another 2-3 weeks before we see some activity.

Selling off your 4GiB 970 and getting a pair of 8GiB 970s, etc., might work substantially better for you.

Has there even been a release date announced for the 8GB 970s? The only thing I could find was from Q4 2014.

I hope the 8GB does make a difference @ 4K with the 970/980. KitGuru tested the 8GB 290x in Crossfire and surprisingly with most of the games they tested at 4K, there was little to no difference vs. the 4GB cards. :confused:

That's because you can't just ramp up the memory of a card, the GPU actually needs to be designed to take advantage of an X amount of memory, which is why despite the 970 actually having 4 GB's of ram, they can't use all the 4 GB's the same way.
Also currently there aren't that many games that need the 4 GB's of memory.

Anyway as far as the 970 memory thing go, it's not that huge of a problem, the card is still a great card (nvidia also committed to improve the drivers for it), and according to rumors the new ATI should be around the corner, and if it is indeed 20nm it should come with a very significant performance increase over the 980, so don't rush into anything and definitely don't sell the card, at least some guys at nvidia are helping people with returning cards, which is definitely better than selling.
Holding out to see how it plays is especially good for people with sli of 970 since returning the cards and then getting a brand new 380x (or what ever they end up calling it), or a discounted 980 might be a real possibility.

Last edited:
I hope the 8GB does make a difference @ 4K with the 970/980. KitGuru tested the 8GB 290x in Crossfire and surprisingly with most of the games they tested at 4K, there was little to no difference vs. the 4GB cards. :confused:

I didn't read all their results, but I did notice they didn't turn all of the settings to max for some of their games, likely because they were gpu limited (Metro Redux for example). Had they turned up the settings, we might have seen a situation where the 8gb cards pulled ahead, but at likely an unplayable framerate. would have been nice to see a 3 or 4 way crossfire review of 8gb cards to remove the gpu bottleneck as much as possible.

Has there even been a release date announced for the 8GB 970s? The only thing I could find was from Q4 2014.

That's because very few games use more than 4 GB of VRAM, Shadow of Mordor is one of the very few exceptions that proves the rule. And at any rate, Nvidia's double VRAM cards are typically hilariously overpriced. Still can't believe people buy those cards, then again I laughed at people who bought the 1000 dollar Titan, yet I keep being disproved in my assumptions of rational behaviour on behalf of consumers :D

You cannot get it in Europe either.. May be for a 1000€ if you are lucky, but I guess the production is still the problem... There was a batch, but it disappeared quickly.. Now it looks like it will be another 2-3 weeks before we see some activity.

Eh, not really. The prices in Sweden are about 700 dollars (exl VAT). It was at 650 not long ago. It's true that it is selling like hotcakes, though, the earliest shipment to arrive to our etailers is in mid-february.

The reviews I'm reading are pretty glowing. This monitor will be to 4K what the ROG Swift was to gaming monitors, setting a new standard. Having a 28" 4K monitor just doesn't make that much sense.

And further, I think we're slowly moving to a 30+ inch standard for premium monitors, and within time, that change will trickle down to mainstream monitors too.

Eesh. Just to rule out the obvious, you're aware that after flipping the On/Off switch, you have to press down on the joystick for about 3 seconds before it will turn on, right? (Note: Pressing down in this case does not mean pushing the joystick to the down position, but rather clicking it downward, i.e. pressing it towards the front of the display.)

I can't find a place in North America to buy this LCD yet, so you people have to press down the joystick button for 3 sec. EACH time you want to turn on the LCD?

I can't find a place in North America to buy this LCD yet, so you people have to press down the joystick button for 3 sec. EACH time you want to turn on the LCD?

Only if you're not content to let the display enter sleep mode when it stops receiving a signal from your source and wake back up again when you start using said source again. I have my PC configured to turn the display off after a few minutes, so the only time I ever actually press the Power button on my displays is when I'm unplugging them for some reason or disconnecting my PC from them, which on my Dell U2410 would otherwise cause it to bounce a "No signal detected" banner around the display area forever.

But yes, if you're in the habit of manually powering your display on and off, you'd have to do this. Also, the manual says 3 seconds, but it was closer to 1.25 or so for me. It's really not a big deal except maybe the fact that you have to reach around to the back of such a large display, which you may not be able to accomplish from your regular working position.

Ahhhhhhhh - these 2 beautiful 40" monitors sitting on my desk right now. :D :D :D

Well at least the second one wasn't "DOA". :p

But since your dual 40" setup is a first for this thread, I believe a picture of your desk is in order. ;)

But since your dual 40" setup is a first for this thread, I believe a picture of your desk is in order. ;)

Agreed. Now think 3 of these in surround. Amazing. Can it even fit?

Hahaha! This one powered right up!

Thanks again - everything looks great. I'll get a picture up in a few minutes.

These phone pics will not do the immensity of these monitors justice - my apologies.

For now, I don't have the stands, desk space, or cables to arrange these any other way.

2x Philips 40" on the outside.
1x Crossover 27" in middle.

The 2 displays on the right are running off of a SG08 build with a 7970. The left is running off of my main rig. I have a specific use for the right monitors to be separate, so I doubt I'll run them from the same machine much.

So how do you guys like this for gaming? I am looking at this and seeing if I could put one on top of the other to make it 2 way surround....

Is 40" enough? What are your thoughts on this for gaming / work. 4 Dell 30" are on recall (short end of story) so I need something to either tide me over or get something like this.

Should I stay and get another Dell 30" x4, Get the new Dell 34" Curved screen 3440x1440 21x9? Or do you have another suggestion? I really liked the idea of Gsync and a high refresh rate but I need something to use in the meantime while I am waiting.

I saw a sale on the Dell 30" for about $1100 so I could snag one, but the new 34" Dells are on sale at Amazon for $1k

Really would appreciate any help!

These phone pics will not do the immensity of these monitors justice - my apologies.

For now, I don't have the stands, desk space, or cables to arrange these any other way.
2x Philips 40" on the outside.
1x Crossover 27" in middle.
The 2 displays on the right are running off of a SG08 build with a 7970. The left is running off of my main rig. I have a specific use for the right monitors to be separate, so I doubt I'll run them from the same machine much.

That arrangment looks strange to me. Symmetric 3x40" monitor system would not be better?? Or you have a plan for it :D?

Honestly there isn't much need for that, there are very few things that won't be well sized within the 40" 4k monitor, so for programs it won't benefit to have that symmetry, movies are the same thing, for games which is where maybe a surround setup could work (although really 3 40" brings extremely strong usability issues) you just wouldn't be able to drive games on such a setup, so not relevant there either, that being said would love to see such a setup just for the hell of it.

Honestly there isn't much need for that, there are very few things that won't be well sized within the 40" 4k monitor, so for programs it won't benefit to have that symmetry, movies are the same thing, for games which is where maybe a surround setup could work (although really 3 40" brings extremely strong usability issues) you just wouldn't be able to drive games on such a setup, so not relevant there either, that being said would love to see such a setup just for the hell of it.

I see. I realized this system looks odd since the monitor in the center has different height. There is this amazing coincidence that 27"@2560x1440 monitor has width which is equal to the height of the 40". Thus when one would put the 27" monitor vertically in the center and move the left 40" to it the system would be symmetric and matched.

From Amazon:

from Amazon UK or Amazon.com? when did you place that order?

I have an update from Atdec. After chatting w/ their tech. support, they confirm they can't allow anything over 17.6 lb. So we are stuck w/ either Human Scale or Ergotron

Lack of 4:4:4 chroma subsampling, high input lag, postprocessing that sometimes cannot be turned off are also some of the problems you could encounter when using TVs as a Monitor.

Les Numeriques (Digitalversus) also tested the Philips 3 days ago (4/5 stars) -
http://www.lesnumeriques.com/moniteur-ecran-lcd/bdm4065uc-p22327/test.html
Philips has higher contrast than the LG (2900:1 vs. 4700:1), better responiveness and the LG is prone to clouding.

(English version soon, usually come a couple of days after the orignal reviews)

Thnx for the reply... Just read it can't handle 4:4:4 so basically a " no go "

The wait for the Philips continuous :)

So how do you guys like this for gaming? I am looking at this and seeing if I could put one on top of the other to make it 2 way surround....

Really would appreciate any help!

I can't imagine how two of these would work when stacked. The array would be over 40" tall after accounting for the bezels, so not only would you likely have serious contrast shift issues on the upper display because of the viewing angle, you'd also very likely get serious neck strain. Stand a measuring tape up on your desk and extend it 40" just to see what it would look like. You'd also absolutely need a wall mount for the upper display because no desk mount will have enough vertical travel to situate one 40" display on top of another. The mount for the upper display would have to be over 30" above the desk.

That arrangment looks strange to me. Symmetric 3x40" monitor system would not be better?? Or you have a plan for it :D?

He's already said he'd love to have 30 but has doubts as to whether his wallet, desk, and computer would handle it all. So don't tempt the man!! :p

Last edited:
What would be the downside of buying a LG 40UB800V (TV) instead of the philips ?
http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/lg-40ub800v-p22227/test.html

Television has HDMI 2.0 so 4K@50/60

+ the price = 326 GBP

LG 55UB8500 supports 4:4:4, I'm just going to buy it, its around the same price, I been holding my purchase since before Christmas, I'm done waiting.
http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=LG55UB8500
TOTAL: $1,126.02 no tax/ free shipping / free wall mount("$100")

Last edited:
LG 55UB8500 supports 4:4:4, I'm just going to buy it, its around the same price, I been holding my purchase since before Christmas, I'm done waiting.
http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=LG55UB8500
TOTAL: $1,126.02 no tax/ free shipping / free wall mount("$100")

Let us know how the input lag and color accuracy are, though being an IPS panel I expect the latter to be solid. Plus it supports stereoscopic 3D, which could make for some sweet gaming.

So until you get an HDMI 2.0 GPU, are you just going to run it at 4K/30 Hz or 1080p/60? And wow, 55 inches on your desk? That's going to be quite something....

Last edited:
Let us know how the input lag and color accuracy are. So are you just going to run it at 30 Hz until you get an HDMI 2.0 GPU? And wow, 55 inches on your desk? That's going to be quite something....

I already have one GTX 980, I was going to buy a second one, but I decided to wait until I got a new 4k monitor, just to see if I could snag a free game, since promotions are really common.
As for big, I have on my desk a 27 inch monitor with a 24inch portrait on each side, so its more like fill in the gaps.

I already have one GTX 980, I was going to buy a second one, but I decided to wait until I got a new 4k monitor, just to see if I could snag a free game, since promotions are really common.
As for big, I have on my desk a 27 inch monitor with a 24inch portrait on each side, so its more like fill in the gaps.

I think you're underestimating how large this panel is going to be.... Even without the stand, a 55" display is almost 29" tall. The Philips is "only" 20" and people here who have used it, myself included, are saying that's about as large as you can possibly go without having to crane your neck to see the top, even if the display is sitting right on the deck. As for width, a PLP 24-27-24 setup is about 39" wide (plus bezels), whereas this thing will be 49" wide. If you haven't already, I'd really recommend doing a cardboard mockup of this panel to get an idea of what you're getting yourself into so you don't end up feeling the way I did about the Philips. Granted returning it won't be as insane as it would have been for me, but it would at least save you some hassle.

Last edited:

Yeah - it's a little strange if you're looking at it from a single system perspective or exclusively for gaming/media. 3x40" in the corner would be amazing. However, these are connected to 2 completely different systems and are needed for 2 completely different reasons.

It's difficult to understand the usability challenges from these pictures. A single 40" monitor from 30-36" seems to take up ~80% of my FOV. As awesome as these would be at 3x side by side on the same system, the setup would be so wide that you'd completely lose the usage of the last 50% of the side monitors and would make gaming almost impossible.

The left 40" is for my primary system - mostly work, but some gaming in the evenings The right 40" is used exclusively for charting, with the vertical 27" being split 3x top to bottom for the related control center items.

This setup is very functional, but not overly pretty in regards to symmetry. Even if I wanted 3 40", this is the max my desk can fit currently. And honestly, I don't know that I would benefit from a setup like that.

I would like a monitor that matches the PPI and height of the 40", but haven't seen anything much better than my current 27" ips.

I think you're underestimating how large this panel is going to be.... Even without the stand, a 55" display is almost 29" tall. The Philips is "only" 20" and people here who have used it, myself included, are saying that's about as large as you can possibly go without having to crane your neck to see the top, even if the display is sitting right on the deck. As for width, a PLP 24-27-24 setup is about 39" wide (plus bezels), whereas this thing will be 49" wide. If you haven't already, I'd really recommend doing a cardboard mockup of this panel to get an idea of what you're getting yourself into so you don't end up feeling the way I did about the Philips. Granted returning it won't be as insane as it would have been for me, but it would at least save you some hassle.

I disagree I had 4 30" dell monitors in portrait and had them on a 6ft desk. Slightly curved in on the sides (why I think curve is good), looked amazing. 0 neck strain

http://m.imgur.com/a/j4rt4

I like the large format setup but want min 4k and need something. I could go 1 34" to tide me over but every TV I found has really bad input lag over 12ms. So it's great it has native 120hz for stereo 3d but the input lag will make you lose every game. My dell's only had 6ms couldn't imagine going worse.

Back