Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

Can I ask, what exactly are you looking for with those patterns? Is there some sort of interference that I can't spot from your photos?
Was wondering the same.
When viewing at 100% scaling this image (click for 1920x1080 size, zoom to 100%):

What you get shown is this (photo from another monitor, not the Philips):

Or like the 4K resolution photo in =)(='s post, the horizontal color distortion continues beyond the browser window.

A thread on the phenomenon: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1844919

Last edited:
What the tests actually are looking for is pixel-walk (inversion) i.e. misadjusted voltages
if that is the case then there is motion or flicker WITHIN the STATIC patterns
its all here:
www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

these sideways bursts are something else...
maybe its an artifact or footprint of the interleaving that is preventing the static flicker from happening in the first place
the flicker inside the window when it is moved around is a pixel resonse time thing, I believe
that happens with extremely fine gridlike structures when the pixels have to jump from black to white and back extremely quickly

btw. this brownish discoloration of the magenta screen only appears to happen on the television...
it stays magenta on the ROG, Philips, and mine

Last edited:
I ordered this monitor. Should I worry about this?
I'm alright with it If this "magenta" stuff isn't used in any games or normal desktop use.

Thank you for your explanations, I've just joined this forum and I'm already impressed with the technological knowledge! :D

As someone else mentioned, is this going to affect real world performance though? Is it something I'm going to notice that while plodding through Skyrim or editing my latest photos?

I don't think so, certainly not these bursts.
It is possible a weaker version of the aforementioned pixel response time flicker could happen in something like modded Skyrim with extremely high res textures..a cave or rock texture with fine black or white lines in it might darken in motion, or flicker a bit.
VA panels are usually more sensitive to this kind of stuff but it can also happen on the other types.

Last edited:
if that is the case then there is motion or flicker WITHIN the STATIC patterns

these sideways bursts are something else...
maybe its an artifact or footprint of the interleaving that is preventing the static flicker from happening in the first place
the flicker inside the window when it is moved around is a pixel resonse time thing, I believe
that happens with extremely fine gridlike structures when the pixels have to jump from black to white and back extremely quickly

----------------

Last edited:
When I move the browser window around, not only does the image inside the browser flicker but also the white thing that appears to the side of the image out of the browser. The rest of the screen does not flicker. On the Benq BL3200PT it seems that only the image in the browser flickers, and there is no white thing on the side.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TTk7biz2f1Q > See here at 00:30.

But the Benq has other flickering problem which does not appear on the Philips.

The sides of my BL3200PT flickers outside the browser when doing the test. Pretty sure it's an eccentricity of VA panels.

In that video you posted he actually mentions his Samsung 305t with a VA panel flickers as well.

The flickering I believe is due to the response time of the pixels being too slow.

The horizontal lines extending past the window (refered to as "line bleeding" on plasmas) I believe is due to voltage instability at the row/column drivers.

sweet !:) It would be nice to know the seller name that you used so I can try to order directly from the website ( as it seems Taobao can ship in Thailand without Agent )

I will wait the review from Tft-central ( they say *coming soon* on the main page ) and if that's good, then I suppose I ll have to learn a bit of Chinese.

thanks again for the great help.

This is the seller / item I purchased:
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=42103644401&spm=2014.12193480.0.0

CNY4280 is slightly less than $700

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Oh and a last question for Philips monitor Holders,

After having it for a while now, do you have any regrets ? would you change it / get a refund for another one if you could ?
What is for you the worst point of this screen ?

Thanks

thanks elleana!

How long was the shipping for you ? and how much in total did you have to pay for the agent + shipping ?

PS :
I found on Ebay new availability for the Philips, Price going down from $2000 to $1299.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Phi...8006?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item3cee6c1356

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-P...6918?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item4adf09bb96

And an extra recent video showin the screen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE14o1tGwqA

Slightly less than $300 , though the bulk of that went to shipping. 14kg!

Oh and a last question for Philips monitor Holders,

After having it for a while now, do you have any regrets ? would you change it / get a refund for another one if you could ?
What is for you the worst point of this screen ?

Thanks

No regrets and will not change (for now at least until something better is released)! Though I guess the worst point is the vast number of pixels so I think I need a new graphics card..

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you for the great help and infos Elleana,
I will go for Taobao/Agent then ( using your link )

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-022-PH&groupid=17&catid=1895

7 in stock for immediate despatch.

Maybe they ship to US?

It seems they do according to the calculator here: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/delivery.php.

Avf139k.png

Last edited:
I'm having the displayport issue reported on nvidia forums.
I run Windows 7 x64 and sometime when I cold boot the monitor goes into sleep mode and I have to force shutdown the PC and start it again, and then press F8 select "Last known good configuration" to be able to boot into Windows with picture on the monitor. When this problem happens, also my TV does not detect the signal from PC so the issue happens over HDMI too. I thought that Windows 7 is broken my UEFI PC and I was about to go back to 8.1 but then I found out that it is nvidia issue.

Apparently the nvidia drivers are the issue.

Nvidia released hotfix:

GeForce Hotfix driver 344.80

Will try that, if it does not work I will have to revert to 340.52.

With DHL shipping and VAT it comes out to 1200 USD (without any customs fees or duties). Not worth it IMO given the horror stories on RR for international orders.

Wouldn't VAT be deducted for orders shipped outside the EU?

Has someone with the monitor used it for office/cad? Is there eye strain due to the PWM during longer sessions of white background?

I'm having the displayport issue reported on nvidia forums.
I run Windows 7 x64 and sometime when I cold boot the monitor goes into sleep mode and I have to force shutdown the PC and start it again, and then press F8 select "Last known good configuration" to be able to boot into Windows with picture on the monitor. When this problem happens, also my TV does not detect the signal from PC so the issue happens over HDMI too. I thought that Windows 7 is broken my UEFI PC and I was about to go back to 8.1 but then I found out that it is nvidia issue.

Apparently the nvidia drivers are the issue.

Nvidia released hotfix:

GeForce Hotfix driver 344.80

Will try that, if it does not work I will have to revert to 340.52.

Thanks, I have the same issue.

I can get this from Taobao through a shipping agent for around $880 shipped to the US. Does anybody know, if I go that way, if Ill end up paying anything else once it clears customs?

Since this monitor isn't coming to the states, can anyone point me toward something similar that will be coming here?

Thanks!

4k @ 60hz is a must as well as DisplayPort or HDMI 2.0 support.

Since this monitor isn't coming to the states, can anyone point me toward something similar that will be coming here?

Thanks!

If this Philips really isn't coming to USA then your best bet for now would be to wait and hopefully Seiki sells their 28,32,and 40 inch VA monitors here. Supposely it's launching Q1 2015...

Thanks!

I believe BL3201PH was just released. Though it is 32".

Here is a great quick review of the Philips BDM40 ( http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/12/04/40-inch-monitors-for-gaming/ )

And a good info about Input lag:

''On the subject of input lag, I haven’t done any detailed testing but if there is any, it’s not acute. I couldn’t detect any next to a Dell 3007//''

*The Dell 3007 has a pretty good input lag.*

I think the input lag is not perfect on this screen, but fast enough to feel like a normal PC monitor.

I ordered One from Taobao for 700 usd, lets hope first that the screen comes to my house, and is working.

I actually asked for a PWM verification earlier in the thread and was disappointed when I never received a response.

Good to know, though. At 240hz PWM, I wouldn't touch this thing with a 50 foot pole.

Usually people who buy big, high resolution and expensive monitors don't care about these things, or quality in many cases (30" wide gamut IPS). Most Philips monitors use PWM, so this isn't surprising.

The 39" 4K PCPOP PP-039 Playerwares reviewed is PWM Free/uses a very high frequency down to 0% brightness and accepts 144hz @1080p (they did not test for frame skipping though), but only does 4K @30hz.

Last edited:
This is question to the 40" monitor owners:

Do you guys have a feeling that the monitor could be still a bit bigger, just by 2 inches - up to the 42" size?

Background of this question is that I made theoretical measurements of a display positioned on a desk and got to conclusion that 40" flat screen is the biggest on can have without getting into visual/ergonomic problems of the display being too high and too wide. But at recent visit to a shop I made quick look at TVs of different sizes (though they were not placed on a desk) and got impression that while 48", 46" are definitely too big, the 42" could still be acceptable. If true, this could expand potential models of 4K TVs to be used as monitors. So what do ya think guys?

Back