PG27AQDM 240hz OLED vs PG27AQM 360Hz IPS for competative FPS?

You cant emulate the behavior of an OLED using an LCD because these garbage displays raise black level along white levels. So while you can theorically get higher contrast at higher levels, the backlight bleed/glow will be so bad you're better off tuning it down. Here's how the G7 behaves:

https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/samsung_odyssey_g7_c27g75t
jKraIr3.png

The best contrast levels were produced at: 100% (391cd/m² + 0.14cd/m² black+massive bleed/glow); 20% (129cd/m² + 0.05cd/m² black); and 60% (252cd/m² + 0.10cd/m² black).

Reactions: Xar
like this
You cant emulate the behavior of an OLED using an LCD because these garbage displays raise black level along white levels. So while you can theorically get higher contrast at higher levels, the backlight bleed/glow will be so bad you're better off tuning it down. Here's how the G7 behaves:

https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/samsung_odyssey_g7_c27g75t
jKraIr3.png

The best contrast levels were produced at: 100% (391cd/m² + 0.14cd/m² black+massive bleed/glow); 20% (129cd/m² + 0.05cd/m² black); and 60% (252cd/m² + 0.10cd/m² black).

You talk like as if 0.1nits is not dim enough. The whole point is to get more brightness at the high end. This is why you cannot see on OLED when you only has 250nits against 0.1nits vs 400nits against 0.1nits. OLED has even worse visibility when 10nits against 0.1nits vs 100nits against 0.1nits. Better check out which one is more visible.

Curious to know why there is absolutely zero user reviews anywhere to be found on the web, or reviews of any kind for the Acer X27U OLED but newegg have been selling them and state they have been available since April?

I cant find any info on them anywhere, thought by now things would be popping up for it.

Curious to know why there is absolutely zero user reviews anywhere to be found on the web, or reviews of any kind for the Acer X27U OLED but newegg have been selling them and state they have been available since April?

I cant find any info on them anywhere, thought by now things would be popping up for it.
Acer monitors are like beta without much tunning. It doesn't advertise much about monitors either. You pick Acer monitors you only get the panels.

If you really want to compete. Get 360Hz AQN or Zowie. Forget about OLED. It doesn't have the edge.

52991573327_cc8017bc62_o_d.png

52992542110_ca457fd198_o_d.png

52992314154_fbeb136c9c_o_d.png

52992314104_05eee0c228_o_d.png

52992314099_baf228942f_o_d.png

52992634843_fd44b8ac48_o_d.png

And you take a grain of salt at what these guys are saying. If they don't value brightness then they are virtual players.

Acer monitors are like beta without much tunning. It doesn't advertise much about monitors either. You pick Acer monitors you only get the panels.

If you really want to compete. Get 360Hz AQN or Zowie. Forget about OLED. It doesn't have the edge.

View attachment 578467
View attachment 578468
View attachment 578469
View attachment 578470
View attachment 578471
View attachment 578472
And you take a grain of salt at what these guys are saying. If they don't value brightness then they are virtual players.

Why on earth are you showing motion clarity photos with ULMB2 ON and then suddenly show brightness levels with ULMB2 OFF? OP already says that he needs 400+ nits of brightness due to his ambient lighting conditions so OLED will not cut it, but neither will ULMB2 or DyAc because the max brightness you will get from that is 275 nits so that pursuit photo is not representative of the experience OP is going to get while running 400 nits of brightness. Even the XL2566K with DyAc ON will NOT do 400 nits.

Why on earth are you showing motion clarity photos with ULMB2 ON and then suddenly show brightness levels with ULMB2 OFF? OP already says that he needs 400+ nits of brightness due to his ambient lighting conditions so OLED will not cut it, but neither will ULMB2 or DyAc because the max brightness you will get from that is 275 nits so that pursuit photo is not representative of the experience OP is going to get while running 400 nits of brightness. Even the XL2566K with DyAc ON will NOT do 400 nits.
Why on earth are you imagine that OP needs 400nits because of ambient lighting? It's only mentioned 400nits needed for a competitive perspective, which is a common sense long time ago.

The best you get is 330nits from Zowie strobe. The worst you get is OLED 250nits without strobe. AQN sets in between with all the options to go 400+nits with the same motion clarity as OLED. And if you want you can get 250nits strobe of 1000Hz equivalent. So forget about OLED. It doesn't have the edge to get neither brightness nor motion clarity.

Why on earth are you imagine that OP needs 400nits because of ambient lighting? It's only mentioned 400nits needed for a competitive perspective, which is a common sense long time ago.

The best you get is 330nits from Zowie strobe. The worst you get is OLED 250nits without strobe. AQN sets in between with all the options to go 400+nits with the same motion clarity as OLED. And if you want you can get 250nits strobe of 1000Hz equivalent. So forget about OLED. It doesn't have the edge to get neither brightness nor motion clarity.

So he needs 400 nits not for ambient lighting conditions but for "competitive aspect" whatever that even means, so what? It doesn't change the fact that the ONLY way he's getting it is with PG27AQN WITHOUT STROBING so that's really his only option. Stop posting useless strobing photos that don't even meet his brightness spec. I already said that the OLED isn't a good option for him so thanks for reiterating my point.

So he needs 400 nits not for ambient lighting conditions but for "competitive aspect" whatever that even means, so what? It doesn't change the fact that the ONLY way he's getting it is with PG27AQN WITHOUT STROBING so that's really his only option. Stop posting useless strobing photos that don't even meet his brightness spec. I already said that the OLED isn't a good option for him so thanks for reiterating my point.
Why don't you read the thread and stop posting imaginations? His current monitor has 400nits. He needs at least 350nits-380nits. What's the closest thing he can get? AQN 400+nits non-strobe or Zowie 330nits strobe.

Why don't you read the thread and stop post imaginations? His current monitor has 400nits. He needs at least 350nits-380nits. What's the closest thing he can get? AQN 400+nits non-strobe or Zowie 330nits strobe.

What imaginations am I posting? The PG27AQN delivers 400+ nits without strobing so it's the best choice for OP because that's what he wants, high brightness. What's imaginary about that.

What imaginations am I posting? The PG27AQN delivers 400+ nits without strobing so it's the best choice for OP because that's what he wants, high brightness. What's imaginary about that.
You've imagined twice now.
He needs at least 350nits-380nits. Not all 400+nits which puts Zowie strobe into the consideration with the best motion clarity and brightness.
And he doesn't need it because of ambient light but rather for a competitive aspect which is simply all about visibility.

You've imagined twice now.
He needs at least 350nits-380nits. Not all 400+nits which puts Zowie strobe into the consideration with the best motion clarity and brightness.
And he doesn't need it because of ambient light but rather for a competitive aspect which is simply all about visibility.

LOL

Alrite peeps lets cool it down, no need to turn the temperature up in here.

I think, I may just find a way to test both. Maybe purchase both and return one at the of a restocking fee.

Remember it's always high temperature like this when all these monitors floating inside their minds. I've said many times. Get both of them and test yourself instead of letting imagination rock on.

Yea i think your rite. I may have to get both. But the unfortunate news is, that the 27AQDM just went out of stock for atleast the next 4 weeks everywhere in Australia. I had the chance to get one a few days ago, but i sat on it and now its all out of stock fml.

I am wondering if the LG variant, can some how be tweaked to have its brightness turned up to be the same as the Asus 27AQDM seeing as they are the same panel? Or is the extra heat sink in the 27AQDM what allows the higher brightness?
Currently thr LG version is a whopping $600AU off than the Asus model, so its quiet tempting!

Or I can get the Acer variant from newegg if I dont want to wait for local stock for the 27AQDM.

The LG one is much dimmer than the Asus one. I saw them in store and asus has done some tweaking to make it work brighter. With that said I use my asus oled in a basement under low ambient light so I couldn't tell you how it looks in an upstairs area near a window which an IPS screen does have the advantage. ULMB2 also doesn't use the same strobing technique as ULMB1 so the brightness isn't nearly as impacted as ULMB1. It really comes down to being able to use the 360hz or not because there are many options in the IPS side of things that will work better into lower fps ranges.

Not sure if it was this guy or monitors unboxed that has a good side by side of them.

At work and so I can’t check if this is the right video.

So he says, the 360hz ips does not offer much better motion blur than the 240hz OLED, but the PQ quality of the OLED far surpasses the IPS and hence why he wants to keep that over the 360Hz IPS.

Reactions: Xar
like this
So he says, the 360hz ips does not offer much better motion blur than the 240hz OLED, but the PQ quality of the OLED far surpasses the IPS and hence why he wants to keep that over the 360Hz IPS.

But if you playing super competitively would you really be thinking about the picture quality?

But if you playing super competitively would you really be thinking about the picture quality?

If i wanted every edge, then yes id take the 360Hz IPS. But I think I may also stand by the guys view that the 240hz oled has nearly as good motion blur but far better pq quality. Simply becauae I am never going to be some high end pro player that needs every competitive advantage, because if I was then I wouldn't be looking at either of these monitors but more something like the Benq Zowie with DyAc High setting, or a 480Hz monitor.

Not sure about that. People use black equalizer which completely destroys the image quality but makes it easier to spot enemies.
Black equalizer just raises the black levels. It's like turning on the lights where there aren't any. It's basically a compensation for poor contrast.

Black equalizer just raises the black levels. It's like turning on the lights where there aren't any. It's basically a compensation for poor contrast.

That sounds contradictory. You are raising black levels which would REDUCE your contrast so how is that suppose to be a compensation when it is doing the complete opposite and making contrast worst and not better. I have never seen a black equalizer that "improves" poor contrast. Taking contrast measurements with it on and off will show a significantly lower value with it on.

That sounds contradictory. You are raising black levels which would REDUCE your contrast so how is that suppose to be a compensation when it is doing the complete opposite and making contrast worst and not better. I have never seen a black equalizer that "improves" poor contrast. Taking contrast measurements with it on and off will show a significantly lower value with it on.

Black equalizer is like tone mapping. The only reason tone mapping exists is because the display is incapable of displaying the detail.

Imagine an LCD limited to 800:1 contrast.
Most of the screen is bright, but a small area is dark with an enemy hiding in the shadows. The poor contrast of the LCD makes it so in the dark area everything just looks like a black blob with no detail. There is actual detail there, but not visible because the LCD can't display it. Black equalizer basically fixes that by making the black area bright enough to see details.
That isn't needed on an OLED capable of displaying those details.

Black equalizer just messes with gamma basically. On my LG C2 if I increase/decrease Black Stabilizer the black remain black but the darker shades of grey become darker/brighter.

This is not hard to understand at all lol.

Black equalizer is like tone mapping. The only reason tone mapping exists is because the display is incapable of displaying the detail.

Imagine an LCD limited to 800:1 contrast.
Most of the screen is bright, but a small area is dark with an enemy hiding in the shadows. The poor contrast of the LCD makes it so in the dark area everything just looks like a black blob with no detail. There is actual detail there, but not visible because the LCD can't display it. Black equalizer basically fixes that by making the black area bright enough to see details.
That isn't needed on an OLED capable of displaying those details.
Virtual players start to hallucinate again. Unless your OLED has more brightness these infinite contrast won't do shit about visibility.

I like how these guys talk about visibility like they don't see it but imagine it.

This is an infinite contrast image with black to 0nits. On OLED you cannot even see all of these shades. And you need try super hard with these incompetent "Black equalizer" or whatever to barely see some shades. That's not visibility.

Below picture is captured with locked ISO 640 Shutter 1/10

OLED visibility AW3423DW
IMG_20230625_063706 copy.png

Fast IPS visibility PG27AQN
IMG_20230625_063802 copy.png

TN visibility XL2546S
IMG_20230625_063856 copy.png

TN visibility Black equalizer 20 XL2546S
IMG_20230625_064014 copy.png

Only the Black Equalizer similar to Zowie or fast IPS can be qualified to boost visibility which makes 1nit boosted to 100nits. The camera can be even overexposure at black level 20. It makes dark shades clear as day.

Back