pfsense help

ChRoNo16

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 3, 2011
Messages
1,594
I got tired of untangle- so last night I setup a basic pfsense VM, simple install, no vlans, no customization yet.

Do you guys think im ok to run it that way? or is there stuff i need to change for better safety?
 
I got tired of untangle- so last night I setup a basic pfsense VM, simple install, no vlans, no customization yet.

Do you guys think im ok to run it that way? or is there stuff i need to change for better safety?

What did you get tired of ?
 
pfSense is great, you won't regret it. My vm has been the edge firewall and vpn gateway for over a year and no issues. Dynamic NAT works out of the box, set your WAN int to DHCP and you are good to go.
 
Dash- The performance was crap- not sure if it was hardware related or what, but it just wasn't doing well. Decided I need to simplify it even more.
 
incidentally, i need help installing vmware tools on this pfsense box... Im not real savvy with the shell, and I havent figured it out yet.
 
Dash- The performance was crap- not sure if it was hardware related or what, but it just wasn't doing well. Decided I need to simplify it even more.

What was the hardware ? I'm running a dual core 2.0 with 4 gigs ram 3 intel nics and no issues at all, however mr untangle green might go for sale soon :)
 
got a guide for that shiznit? I tried to install tools last night, but the file didnt exist or something...


Dash- It's my DL320 G4.. I dunno I just didnt like how it was running, it seemed to slow down my internet
 
got a guide for that shiznit? I tried to install tools last night, but the file didnt exist or something...


Dash- It's my DL320 G4.. I dunno I just didnt like how it was running, it seemed to slow down my internet

Ohhh, youre virtualing it....
 
got a guide for that shiznit? I tried to install tools last night, but the file didnt exist or something...


Dash- It's my DL320 G4.. I dunno I just didnt like how it was running, it seemed to slow down my internet
Log into web ui, system -> packages -> available packages -> open-vm-tools
 
that is awesome, thanks!

Yes Dash I virtualized it, it wasnt so bad, but I wanted to try something else. I felt I had to restart untangle alot for some weird reason, I wanted something more simple I can just leave sit forever.
 
Chrono16,
Where you running UT in a VM env as well?
(if so where you running one of my VM´s?)

Pfsens is ok but i always leave me wanting more :p
 
Back
Top