PeRs-pLeXeD!

Defyant

Limp Gawd
I'm doin it again!!

This is just a quicky weekender mod :D while i toy with ideas for HPR3 :)

ive had a ton of old green plex laying around for a while... and always had the idea to do oOoOZ type case theme.

the orig idea was to do this mod on a standard metal case, but since i had a EX shop display Clear case laying around i thought why not!

I also had 5 x Green UV 120 and 80mm fans that were donated buy X-Com a while back so it would be great to finally put these to good use!

A custom made Defyant style mega res was also sitting on the shelf with no home...the green theme of this res would also be perfect !

This Case PeRs-pLeXeD ! will be first of a 3 in this series of qik weekender mods.

The seconed Will Be "Flamed" and the third will be "Shocked" and both of these will done in a similar method using orange flames and blue/purple bolts of lightening.

anyways heres how it started yesterday.......

Sitting @ the end of the bench.... simply throwing on the res and 2 fans! the mod was half done :p

IMG_7167.jpg

I thought id set it up for a couple of proper shots to get a better feel for the mod.

IMG_7173.jpg

IMG_7176.jpg

UV was going to be an imprtant light source for this mod and testing with a single light i could see that this was indeed goin to look pretty cool.

IMG_7183.jpg

IMG_7185.jpg

The next part and main feature of this mod will be creating the "oOoZ" from UV green plex.

A very simple pattern is marked out on 3.5mm green plex cut!

IMG_7346.jpg

IMG_7348.jpg

Using a spare case the oOoZ is bent over the edge! this will give the effect its running down the side of the case!

IMG_7352.jpg

For the mother board side of the case, a simple sPLat is made

IMG_7354.jpg

and to add to its effect some smaller spray drops are cut sanded and added

IMG_7356.jpg

IMG_7357.jpg

IMG_7358.jpg

IMG_7361.jpg

To keep the theme going inside the same is reapeated on the floor and a "sPLaT" will be added as a "sortof" motherboard cover!

IMG_7384.jpg

Some more work is done to the Top oOoz and a top fan duct is cut with some smaller themed type holes.

IMG_7383.jpg

its placed back on for to make sure allstill fits well :)

IMG_7388.jpg

and a qick test with some UV

IMG_7391.jpg

The front of the case will need to be cut to allow the fitting of 2 x 120mm UV coolermasters, which will supply air to a dual 120 rad for the watercooling.

A section is cut of of the original front panel and a new support bracket is made for the dual 120's

A rear Green back panel is added for contrast.

IMG_7376.jpg

The edge of the new front facia support is routed smooth as is the inner holes for a cleaner look

IMG_7378.jpg

Next is to frill countersunk type holes for the fan support bolts.

Steinless M5 Hex Head bolts are used

IMG_7392.jpg

Next is "Fire" polish the edges all nice and clear again .

IMG_7401.jpg

Assembled with the fans and bolts.

IMG_7405.jpg

DAY 2

Got a late start today :( but as promised i was still keen to knock this mod over in a weekend.

first thing to start the day off with was some painting :) i decided that i didn't want to "flood" the inside with green! so to keep the inside of the case uniform ive gone with matt black.

The psu, water blocks , pump and Cdrom are prepped and painted. The CPU loom is covered using black flex cover... again..not wanting this to be a "feature" black is best used here as well.

This will allow the internal Green cover and water tubes to become the main internal features.

IMG_7440.jpg

The first mod of the day after painting was to Relocate the power/reset and activity leds. Due to the adding of the Dual 120's, the original area where these were was cut away.

I little but of carefull drilling and tapping now has the buttons/leds replaced over to the side of the case.

IMG_7414.jpg

IMG_7415.jpg

IMG_7417.jpg

IMG_7416.jpg

IMG_7418.jpg

Next was to design a motherboard cover! YES! the good old motherboard cover :p like my tanks these are becomming a bit of a trade mark...but i got to have a bit of fun with this one and a less techinical but well themed cover was on the cards.

IMG_7412.jpg

To attach the cover holes are drilled in the far corners. To give some flexability gromets are added

IMG_7422.jpg

IMG_7424.jpg

IMG_7425.jpg

A long scew with a perspex 22mm spacer isused to suspend the cover above the motherboard.

IMG_7426.jpg

IMG_7427.jpg

The cover is then bolted in using the old board locating risers.

IMG_7431.jpg

IMG_7430.jpg

IMG_7431.jpg

IMG_7437.jpg

Time to add the previously painted and cabled PSU, i also decided to add some UV green molex ends i'd had left over from an old mod.

IMG_7433.jpg

IMG_7434.jpg

Next was time to add the water blocks.This is an old Jarron Water block ive had laying around for while...a custom 10mm plex plate bracket was fab'd up and used for this mod.

IMG_7442.jpg

A Swiftech GPU block is used to take care of GPU cooling

IMG_7446.jpg

2 hose holes are added to the rear for the external res hoses to pass thru.

IMG_7447.jpg

IMG_7533.jpg

The Swiftech MPC600 pump is bolted in

IMG_7534.jpg

all hoses are connected

IMG_7535.jpg

IMG_7531.jpg

The system is filled with the usual suspects!

IMG_7541.jpg

Pump is run for a while to bleed the system and the res is snapped back onto the top of the case

IMG_7555.jpg

Internals are wired up and checked

IMG_7525.jpg

IMG_7542.jpg

IMG_7543.jpg

Time to fire it up , stand back and take a few shots! :)

IMG_7457.jpg

IMG_7456.jpg

IMG_7455.jpg

IMG_7495.jpg

Time to switch some lights off

IMG_7448.jpg

IMG_7449.jpg

IMG_7458.jpg

IMG_7466.jpg

IMG_7467.jpg

With some UV lighting!!!

IMG_7514.jpg

IMG_7521.jpg

IMG_7522.jpg

IMG_7468.jpg

IMG_7523.jpg

IMG_7553.jpg

IMG_7524.jpg

Well i got it done in a weekend! altho i didn't rush the case...i still feel theres a few things i'd like to change.

Cheers guys.

very very nice.. i'm a sucker for clear cases... can i ask where you got the res from?

WOW! thats an awesome mod. i cant wait to see stages 2 and 3. i cant believe this was done in 1 weekend. GREAT MOD!

yeah, they seem to be making a come back--of you can say they ever left. Many ideas coming to life with new technology and material.

Nice work. Green, especially goob green is cool!! :D

Congrat's on HPRES2's apperance in PC Modder. It was a bad picture though.This was also a nice mod. Would've looked better on a case made of black plexi, but that's just my opinon.

xrdotimcr

Man...I just lost my load. That's so frikkin' awesome!
Love the res. Nice job on the Atomic tube. From Oz?

doooood thats crazy. everything's great except one thing...and its small. get rid of those splitloom cables and sleeve that shiot

thanx heeeps guys :)

there are still a few things i'd like to change but need to get on with other mods for now :)

(7\) said:
very very nice.. i'm a sucker for clear cases... can i ask where you got the res from?

IMG_2858.jpg

The custom res's i make myself..thats a new design i came up with a while back.

Theres also the

The "Stubby" ,The "Fatboi"

The "Sumo".

The "Mini's",

The "Duals" and of course!

The "MEGA"

All part of the "Defyant range of plex custom Res's :)

xrdotimcr said:
Congrat's on HPRES2's apperance in PC Modder. It was a bad picture though.This was also a nice mod. Would've looked better on a case made of black plexi, but that's just my opinon.

xrdotimcr

Cheers mate...thats what happens when you say to a editor...heres a bunch of pics take your pic :(

its all a learning process...but im happy and honored to be there :)

banGerprawN said:
Man...I just lost my load. That's so frikkin' awesome!
Love the res. Nice job on the Atomic tube. From Oz?

cheers , sure am :)

Defyant said:
Cheers mate...thats what happens when you say to a editor...heres a bunch of pics take your pic :(

its all a learning process...but im happy and honored to be there :)

I'm going to submit my project when I finish it. You can check out the worklog so far here. And once again, good job. Did you get anything for being put in the mag? I know for MaximumPC you get a $1500 dollar Newegg.com gift certificate.

without reading who started this thread and not looking at the original poster, i knew this was a defyant case just by the look of the res. good work as always.

UPDATE!

I wasn't happy with the front cdrom cover door thingy.... just looked like a foot to me...

And i didn't bother to incorp an eject button.

Had a bit of time to think about it @ work today and came up with this new door and idea for an eject button.

some one had also mentioned the PCB for the buttons looks a bit outaplace thru the plex.

A bit of black fixed this :)

IMG_7588.jpg

IMG_7592.jpg

the design for the new door~! this time i went for a "sPLAT" rather than a gOoP!

IMG_7593.jpg

the idea this time is to attach the Green plex splat to a clear door panel which is already attached to the cdrom door.

IMG_7595.jpg

The Custom Eject button will be a "sliding cylinder" type construction and will consist of a shaped inner shaft that runs thru a hollow shaft with the button glued to the front.

the whole assembly is then attached to the clear door panel.

lost?

the 2 main parts to the mod. an outer clear tube with a solid tube that runs inside.

IMG_7596.jpg

the inner tube is sightly larger then the inner diamater of the inner hole. this is a good thing because it will give me a rear stopper(foot) @ the back.

Over to the bench press to take a few thou off the inner shaft.

IMG_7598.jpg

pretty crude! but it works

IMG_7601.jpg

A qick fine sand

IMG_7603.jpg

You can see how the innner shaft now has a stopper @ the rear this will press up against the eject button on the cdrom.

IMG_7606.jpg

IMG_7607.jpg

a sexy little green button is cut!! my god this was like micro surgery!!

IMG_7608.jpg

To take the sharpness off the button some heat is applied!

IMG_7609.jpg

it now looks more like alil green boiled lolly!! :)

IMG_7610.jpg

The clear front panel is marked and a hole is drilled for the outer cylinder.

IMG_7621.jpg

Good old plex glue will fuse bond this together forever!

IMG_7625.jpg

a qik test! all is good.

IMG_7629.jpg

IMG_7630.jpg

Next is to glue on the button

IMG_7631.jpg

IMG_7632.jpg

IMG_7633.jpg

The whole unit is attached back to the CDROM.

IMG_7636.jpg

IMG_7642.jpg

the front splatt theme cover is glued on

IMG_7646.jpg

IMG_7648.jpg

IMG_7647.jpg

and finally! a finger test!! :) i love it when things just work!

IMG_7644.jpg

IMG_7645.jpg

Well since i was modding along now!....... i thought that i would glue on the side splatt.

IMG_7649.jpg

just little things! that were "erking" me... theres still a few things to do...i need to get a new side panel cut. orig was lost.

and im keen to add a green LCD to the front as well.

But i think you will agree its lookin better with each bit of etra work :)

IMG_7694.jpg

IMG_7706.jpg

IMG_7707.jpg

IMG_7709.jpg

IMG_7716.jpg

IMG_7724.jpg

IMG_7726.jpg

IMG_7729.jpg

IMG_7730.jpg

IMG_7749.jpg

IMG_7743.jpg

IMG_7747.jpg

damn, you have amazing plexi skillz :)

that is an awesome mod.

i tried cutting a piece of plexi in half once and i shattered both sides :(

keep up the awesome work!!!

Great plexi work!

Any guides we should read to get some of your skills? I could definitelly use some pointers. Where did you get the plexi glue/welder? The Home Depo / Lowes people I asked were clueles. I tried silicone, which is transparent, but it is very flimsy.

Oh, and you said you have some work left, does that include changing the wire loom? I'm just like 'ugh.' I personally think some wire mesh would look nicer, although it is more work to install it.

Fuck that's just plain sexy. I'll trade you...my quite-hot-but-useless-in-the-kitchen girlfriend for that fine piece o' ass :eek:

Wow that is great, it sparks me wanting to go and pickup some green plexi. Again very nicely done. I really love the blue green glow of the whole unit. :eek:

KM

Great job, you have impressive plexi-skills. You just inspired me on new ways to use plex and getting the parts to finish off watercooling my pc (again).

man thats a great mod and i dont even like clear cases and i think it look awsome :D

banGerprawN said:
Fuck that's just plain sexy. I'll trade you...my quite-hot-but-useless-in-the-kitchen girlfriend for that fine piece o' ass :eek:

You better hope she doesn't see that post. :D

Anyways, freeking good mod man. this is one of the only plexi cases I actually like.

man u r a machine, between here and bit-tech, i've got a full time job just watching you mod :)

wow... really nice work!!! very creative!! I love the sub-panel which goes over the mobo (with a hole over the cpu) and around the video card... very cool!!

Back