permanant damage?

carnag3

Limp Gawd
Hey guys so I load up core temp today (build this pc a few days ago) and it was reading high 90's... I freaked out googled quickly and found that a lot of people arent putting the heatsinks on correctly. I shut down, and turn mine off, see it isnt on correctly, reconnected it, and load up windows, now sitting in the high 30's low 40's... whats the chance I have odne something bad to my cpu here? liek will this lower my ability to overclock when a bolt through kit comes for my TRUE, will it die prematurely, apparently intel sais they can take 100 degrees, any insight would be appreciated, thanks :). also my pc seems a lot faste rnow too, maybe the proccesor was slowing to stop heat?

Depending on the bios settings (the defaults typically have all the safety stuff on by default).

Yes it reduced the CPU multiplier and CPU voltage in an attempt to keep the chip cool.
Intel CPUs at about 100C depending on model and factory calibration of you individual CPU will ramp fan speed up to 100% in order to keep cool (EIST and TM2). Several deg C above that (no one knows for sure that I have seen and Intel does not publish to public, 10-20C I would think) the CPU will reach the catastrophic trip point and shut off. BTW "catastrophic" refers to cooling failure not any damage related to the chip.

So no it is highly unlikely you damaged anything nor significantly reduce the life or reliability or the OCing ability of the CPU with a "few days" of high temp operation. Now if during those few days it was constantly crashing because it reached the thermal trip I might be mildly concerned but that is all. If you had been operating it for a year that way I would then be concerned the lifetime migh have been reduced or OCing ability affected but that is not the case. If it appears functioning properly now no harm done. Intel did a really nice job of protecting us from ourselves and reducing the number of returns due to "oopsies" during install.

thanks heaps, a really good response, I did find it interesting that even supreme commander with 2 players at 1000 units didnt have any hiccups, thanks for putting my mind at ease. now to have fun aging :).

Back