Perhaps the Most Important Piece of Hardware.

Mungojerrie

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone have some good recommendations for a computer chair. :D I broke my last one, it was a cheap horribly uncomfy chair that eventually broke under my fat ass (170 lbs). I am interested to see if people have found a chair that they really enjoy (preferably not super spendy) I am looking for anything good in the sub $200 range.

A quality chair is one of the most important items :) I have a $500+ Steelcase Leap chair.

If it was broken today, I would immediately go out and buy another. If you don't mind buying used, check out craigslist or places that sell used office equipment. These chairs are built to take daily abuse in office environments. If you get lucky, you might find them in your price range, but they're always around $300 used.

I would look at something like this instead of that leather one.
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/449295/Global-Goal-Task-Chair-39-H/

Look for something that when you lean back, your legs don't also raise in the air. Back is independent from seat base. Same with the arm rest. When you lean back, your arms can also stay in the same position. That is the difference between cheap chairs and real office chairs.

I agree with plunger, used chairs from Herman Miller and Steelcase would be my first pick.

I've got this one at home and the high-back version at work. They're rated for 450 lbs and the pneumatic hasn't broken after 18 months.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for all the suggestions I am hunting around still, but these look like some really great choices

Using my 6th chair now, I think, and only once bought a known brand. In my experience - go to Office Depot etc., and just pick the one that fits you and your back. Brands matter much less.

if you're going to sit in it a lot or for extended periods, I would suggest something mesh. I sit in my work chair 10 hrs a day 4 days a week. it being mesh helps stay cool.

if you're going to sit in it a lot or for extended periods, I would suggest something mesh. I sit in my work chair 10 hrs a day 4 days a week. it being mesh helps stay cool.

Might be a good idea, I live in Nor Cal and it's very very hot during the summers and let's face it, I'm cheap when it comes to A/C.

Looking at the Herman Miller Aeron chairs, they look great, but are so expensive. I'm thinking about trying to pick one up off Ebay because I don't want to pay the outrageous costs for a new one. I know they are probably worth it, its just I have spent 2400$ so far on my new computer build, and that's before I add in Graphics cards. So I'd like to save money while getting a good product :D

Back