• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Performance with Battlefield 2

If you set texture to high you will need at least 1.5GB of ram. With 1GB the harddrive was accessing like crazy and caused the game to freeze a lot. Have a geforce 5700ultra128mb and a athlonxp2400@2.5ghz. Gonna upgrade the videocard sometime this year.
 
anyone aware of a benchmarking util / command for this?

I`d like to record a demo, mess with settings and see what works best.
 
I'm sure the lack of bandwidth chokeing my Athlon 64 isnt helping me much either, I not only have only 512MB of ram, its only DDR 333 (PC2700) instead of the recomended DDR 400 (PC3200) :p
 
Borgschulze said:
I run all medium 1024x768, I tried all high but that gave me extremely bad video RAM lag...
I can probably run with 2 or 4xFSAA but I am too lazy to try it.

I do have a problem with the game though, my shadows are totally messed up.

I had the same shadowing problems, with the rig in my sig I have to run BF2 with Medium/Low settings, 1024x768@60Hz. I'm thinking this is also due to the fact I'm running Windows XP Pro x64 and the drivers aren't the best for x64 yet...
 
Borgschulze said:
I run all medium 1024x768, I tried all high but that gave me extremely bad video RAM lag...
I can probably run with 2 or 4xFSAA but I am too lazy to try it.

I do have a problem with the game though, my shadows are totally messed up.
My shadows are messed up too, I've got a 5900 non-U and the shadows are big square blocks(had to turn them off). I've also got a 9800-pro which works fine, whats with Nvidia?
 
Tiro_Fijo said:
drivers that came with the BF2 demo should fix the shadows problem.
They do. I had a few problems with the game until I installed the included drivers.
 
Warmonkey said:
Umm.....No. Also, if it runs like crap at a maxed out Res like that, tone it down. Damn.
1600x1200 will stress your system hardcore.

BTW, it is really hard to follow what the hell you are talking about.


To the OP:

I run everything High, 1024x768, 2xAA and avg. about 52 FPS. Running the 77.30 drivers.

hehe finally someone admits I confuse them :) anyways in that statement, I was just trying to say BF2 requires lots of ram for high res/details..


O yah, and 1600x1200 doesn't really stress my system @ all... I run at that res. and everything maxed.... 4xAA 16xAF and the only thing that is on MEDIUM is texture..which eats memory..and now I am playing it very smoothly and no hard drive accessing...
 
aZn_plyR said:
hehe finally someone admits I confuse them :) anyways in that statement, I was just trying to say BF2 requires lots of ram for high res/details..


O yah, and 1600x1200 doesn't really stress my system @ all... I run at that res. and everything maxed.... 4xAA 16xAF and the only thing that is on MEDIUM is texture..which eats memory..and now I am playing it very smoothly and no hard drive accessing...

ok cool. The BF games have always had a hunger for Ram. I find that my 1GB of ram works fine, my load times are about 60-85 secs long. I run a RAID 0 mind you, so that might make my load times better than average.

I personally can't stand to play anything unless all the details are cranked to max. I would rather run a lower Res than lower the details. 1024x768 seems to work well for me though.
 
well...setting the texture to medium doesn't really lower anything you can see with ur eyes....

medium texture vs high looks exactly the same....
 
aZn_plyR said:
well...setting the texture to medium doesn't really lower anything you can see with ur eyes....

medium texture vs high looks exactly the same....

Maybe in BF2, but that's completely not true in CS:S and HL2.
 
yah I am only talking about BF2..in cs:s... putting texture to medium or low would make it look like cs 1.6 lol..
 
I dont think BF2 looks that good with medium textures. Bugs the hell out of me. Anyone know how to enable bots in LAN matches??
 
ohgod said:
I dont think BF2 looks that good with medium textures. Bugs the hell out of me. Anyone know how to enable bots in LAN matches??

what are you talking about? they look identical.... I can't tell the difference between medium and high.. care to post a screenshot? hehe..
 
ohgod said:
How is your guys performance in Battlefield 2. Using the system in sig. my performance is horible. When it eventually loads the game I get constant stuttering and pausing. I've read that people with similar systems can run the game on high settings with no problems. I have it running at 1280X960 everything on high, no aa, sound set to hardware (SB Audigy 2).
I just experienced what you have written. I skimmed through the whole thread so excuse me if I'm echoing anyone.

The game runs perfect for me @ 1024*768 (hardware in sig and very close to yours) - I haven't ONCE thought about "needing" anymore video power. (although I've puked looking at the crapy shadows)

BUT - Tonight i bought a new monitor. (Samsung 930B which I give two big thumbs up to, by the way) It's native res. is 1280 by 1024. I was ticked that I didn't see that choice in the BF2 demo - so I tried the 1280*960 setting. Well - the game ran like shit - pretty much exactly as you describe. Now I'm gonna go try that switch mentioned earlier. (thanks for that tip)
 
seanmcd said:
I just experienced what you have written. I skimmed through the whole thread so excuse me if I'm echoing anyone.

The game runs perfect for me @ 1024*768 (hardware in sig and very close to yours) - I haven't ONCE thought about "needing" anymore video power. (although I've puked looking at the crapy shadows)

BUT - Tonight i bought a new monitor. (Samsung 930B which I give two big thumbs up to, by the way) It's native res. is 1280 by 1024. I was ticked that I didn't see that choice in the BF2 demo - so I tried the 1280*960 setting. Well - the game ran like shit - pretty much exactly as you describe. Now I'm gonna go try that switch mentioned earlier. (thanks for that tip)

There's a way to add 1280x1024 through adding something at the end of the target.
 
aZn_plyR said:
what are you talking about? they look identical.... I can't tell the difference between medium and high.. care to post a screenshot? hehe..

If i could host a image I would.
:)
 
Skrying said:
There's a way to add 1280x1024 through adding something at the end of the target.
+szx 1600 +szy 1200 add that to end of the target with whatever res you need.
 
Skrying said:
There's a way to add 1280x1024 through adding something at the end of the target.
Thanks - but that's what that last part of my post meant:

seanmcd said:
Now I'm gonna go try that switch mentioned earlier. (thanks for that tip)
 
Tiro_Fijo said:
drivers that came with the BF2 demo should fix the shadows problem.
What do you mean the drivers that came with the demo? Do you mean the dx- 9c program, or were there actual Nvidia drivers? And why didn't mine load with the game?
EDIT: I'm an idiot, I didn't see the drivers in the EA game menu, everything is alright now.
 
with my sig... im running 1024x768 no AA everything high except lighting which is at medium.... but saddly enough, i get freezing sometimes, hitching, warping.. im thinking it was because i didnt use driver cleaner before i installed the new drivers. which im gonna retry right now. my temps arent horrible... not low enough for my liking,but they shouldnt hinder my performance that much.... i had it set to 2x AA and i noticed the game went nutz while i was flying a plane.

i think i have fastwrites on . if that make any difference
my temps get to be about 74/75c load another sad thing is i have an NV silencer on it...think mite have done what someone else mentioned while cleaning it out with an air can...
 
ok, because I am stupid,
Can someone post the complete target for adding 1280x1024?

Like the ENTIRE LINE, so I can see what it is supposed to look like, correct spaces and all. I cant get it working :rolleyes: I suck
 
ohgod said:
Good to see that 1 gig o' ram solves a lot of problems.


Yup. I was running 256 of DDR2, and it ran like crap. Now I have a Gig and its sweet.
 
xFuryofFivex said:
with my sig... im running 1024x768 no AA everything high except lighting which is at medium.... but saddly enough, i get freezing sometimes, hitching, warping.. im thinking it was because i didnt use driver cleaner before i installed the new drivers. which im gonna retry right now. my temps arent horrible... not low enough for my liking,but they shouldnt hinder my performance that much.... i had it set to 2x AA and i noticed the game went nutz while i was flying a plane.

i think i have fastwrites on . if that make any difference
my temps get to be about 74/75c load another sad thing is i have an NV silencer on it...think mite have done what someone else mentioned while cleaning it out with an air can...

Strange, I have the rig in my sig running it at 1280x1024, everything max except dynamic shadows off, and the official 71.89 drivers, and it runs perfectly.
 
aZn_plyR said:
well...setting the texture to medium doesn't really lower anything you can see with ur eyes....

medium texture vs high looks exactly the same....

There was a comparison post at IGN that showed medium vs high next to eachother and there was in fact a difference between the two.

Also, I do believe the retail version will have "Ultra High" settings made available in the options menu for some or all of the options.
 
I get some hitching because a 64 person battle uses almost 1.5gb of RAM...

Looks like it's finally time to make the jump to 2 gigs.
 
How do you guys think a 9800Pro/XT with a P4 3.4 will handld BF2.
 
Arklight said:
There was a comparison post at IGN that showed medium vs high next to eachother and there was in fact a difference between the two.

Also, I do believe the retail version will have "Ultra High" settings made available in the options menu for some or all of the options.


link please?
 
acascianelli said:
How do you guys think a 9800Pro/XT with a P4 3.4 will handld BF2.



just fine, you just need at least 1gb ram to enjoy the game smoothly.
 
My system in sig plays it flawlessly...1024 @ All High + 2xAA and 8xAF....and my DDR2 is only running at 200mhz 11-4-4-4 ....sooo, im happy.
 
i have my settings at 1280x960, everything maxed, 4x AA and i get a consistent 75fps...specs are 3700+ San Diego, 1gb RAM, BFG 6800gt
 
not to get off topic...i was wondering when installing new drivers.. do i use driver cleaner in safe mode or in windows
 
I sue in windows non safe mode, works great, the only thing in safe mode is that nothing is loaded..and the windows fiel protection thingy doesnt pop up for u to confirm the cleaning ..
 
Back
Top