Performance with Battlefield 2

ohgod

Gawd
How is your guys performance in Battlefield 2. Using the system in sig. my performance is horible. When it eventually loads the game I get constant stuttering and pausing. I've read that people with similar systems can run the game on high settings with no problems. I have it running at 1280X960 everything on high, no aa, sound set to hardware (SB Audigy 2).

ohgod said:
How is your guys performance in Battlefield 2. Using the system in sig. my performance is horible. When it eventually loads the game I get constant stuttering and pausing. I've read that people with similar systems can run the game on high settings with no problems. I have it running at 1280X960 everything on high, no aa, sound set to hardware (SB Audigy 2).

With everything on high and 4xAA 1024x768.... No stutters.

I run all medium 1024x768, I tried all high but that gave me extremely bad video RAM lag...
I can probably run with 2 or 4xFSAA but I am too lazy to try it.

I do have a problem with the game though, my shadows are totally messed up.

Runs fine for me on 1280 x 1024 with AA *points to sig* except for one time when i was in a tank that got blown up and everything starting stuttering and lagging like I was back on the Willamette with the 32mb Radeon 7200, but it only lasted 5 seconds and then everything was normal, so it may have been a one off.

1280x960 4xAA and everything maxed
A64 @ 2100
6800GT @ 400/1060
1GB

No sweat!

Borgschulze said:
I run all medium 1024x768, I tried all high but that gave me extremely bad video RAM lag...

Same here, my shadows are totally messed up too.

Its so weird, its like everything is casting a large square shadow.

I have never had luck with the BF series when it came to the engine. My old 9700 Pro artifacted on it for no reason at all, at all defaults and the card could run 4 days of 3dmark or any game without an issue. My Ti4600 hated it too, then my new X800XL hated it, but does BF2 fine at least. And now my LAN rigs 6800nu hates BF2... ugh, this pisses me off, I want to play a BF game without constant artifacts/shadow errors....

ReNeGaDe* said:
like I was back on the Willamette
laughing_animated.gif
HAHAHAHA

RoFL

Borgschulze said:

what drivers your running
turn off dynanic shadows ^.~

Skrying said:

I have never had luck with the BF series when it came to the engine. My old 9700 Pro artifacted on it for no reason at all, at all defaults and the card could run 4 days of 3dmark or any game without an issue. My Ti4600 hated it too, then my new X800XL hated it, but does BF2 fine at least. And now my LAN rigs 6800nu hates BF2... ugh, this pisses me off, I want to play a BF game without constant artifacts/shadow errors....

turn off dynamic shadows

Yeah I had the shadowing error until I installed the drivers that came with the demo. I have bad luck with all the battlefields. You guys think another 512mb of Ram would help?

ok if your are getting artfacting with the shadow or thay look like big squares

TURN OFF DYNAMIC SHADOWS

Skrying said:

I had that same problem with the square shadows.

If you have an nvidia card the driver is in this folder.
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2 Demo\nvidia_driver

Just install it and you should be good after that.

ohgod said:
Yeah I had the shadowing error until I installed the drivers that came with the demo. I have bad luck with all the battlefields. You guys think another 512mb of Ram would help?
hmm what driver ver comes with the game?

I have a problem with studdering too but it seems more like lag, since it won't do it in single player or on some servers but its annoying as shit. Im running at 1024 on High with 2xAA

Ugh, its so stupid that you'd have to drop back a few drivers in order to get correctly working shadows.....

Runs like greased lighting on my rig:

Pentium 4 640
2048MB DDR2 533
Geforce 6800GT @ 430/1230MHz
Audigy 2 Platinum

Everything cranked to the max without any incident. The only delays I get are occsional packetloss hiccups. :eek:

consumer9000 said:
Runs like greased lighting on my rig:

Pentium 4 640
2048MB DDR2 533
Geforce 6800GT @ 430/1230MHz
Audigy 2 Platinum

Everything cranked to the max without any incident. The only delays I get are occsional packetloss hiccups. :eek:

I believe this guy and his 2 gig of ram.....

THIS GAME WILL OWN a system with ONLY 1 gig of ram on highest settings....

for example, like I said already...

my system, a64 6800ultra 1 gig ddr400....runs like crap @ 1600x1200 with max AA, fast with AA off..but anyways..my ram is @ 440mhz.. 2-3-3-6...1 gig, runs like crap, stutters file swapping on hard drive.,....

I tossed a slow 512mb stick in more..= 1.5gb stupid cpu/mobo or something HAD to underclock my ram down to 100mhz... ddr1600 or something..any higher and its unstable with all 3 sticks.. (does anyone have a fix btw)

anyways.wiotht eh 1.5 gb ram with 3-3-3-8 timings @ pc1600 speeds...Ran BF2 1600x1200 4xAA 16xAF and it was SMOOTH AS HELLLL.

O yah, and OGGOD, the reason u are running like super crap is b/c u only have 512mb of ram... having 1 gig only makes it run like crap...haveing 1.5gig+ makes it run like buttah :)

Skrying said:
Ugh, its so stupid that you'd have to drop back a few drivers in order to get correctly working shadows.....
What do you mean by this? CMIIW, but the 77.30 drivers that come with the demo are the absolute newest ForceWare version available...

Athlon64 3000+ (939 Venice)
Epox EP-9NPAJ (nForce4)
XFX Geforce 6600GT
1GB PC3200 (Corsair)

I have everything except textures and light set at "high." No AA. Res is set to 1152x852.

Fraps reports a framerate of 40-60fps. No problems with studdering and the game plays smoothly.

aZn_plyR said:

my system, a64 6800ultra 1 gig ddr400....runs like crap @ 1600x1200 with max AA, fast with AA off..but anyways..my ram is @ 440mhz.. 2-3-3-6...1 gig, runs like crap, stutters file swapping on hard drive.,....

I tossed a slow 512mb stick in more..= 1.5gb stupid cpu/mobo or something HAD to underclock my ram down to 100mhz... ddr1600 or something..any higher and its unstable with all 3 sticks.. (does anyone have a fix btw)

anyways.wiotht eh 1.5 gb ram with 3-3-3-8 timings @ pc1600 speeds...Ran BF2 1600x1200 4xAA 16xAF and it was SMOOTH AS HELLLL.

O yah, and OGGOD, the reason u are running like super crap is b/c u only have 512mb of ram... having 1 gig only makes it run like crap...haveing 1.5gig+ makes it run like buttah :)

This man speaks the truth. Running the game with everything on high accept a couple things I have only 80 megs of RAM left when running the game :eek:

throwing in another stick of 512 will help alot.

I myself am looking at getting another 1 gig stick to make it buttah :D

Any way to run this game at 1280x1024? I don't see the res listed.

P4 @ 3.6Ghz
ATI X850XT
1 Gig Corsair 3200 (400)

Runs at 1024x768 everything at max without a sweat.
Haven't really tried any higher yet.

aZn_plyR said:

I was thinking it was the ram. Oh well I'm gonna go buy some today then.

To run 1280x1024 put this at the end of your shortcut target (right click the shortcut or .exe, select properties)...

+szx 1280 +szy 1024"

Change the value to whatever res you want and dont forget the quote.

As for performance I have to disagree with the 1 gig getting owned claim. Gig of value G Skill DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-7, A64 Venice @ 2.6 ghz, 6800 GT @ 410/1100. And I run the demo at 1280x1024 All High with 2xAA , getting a pretty consistent 60 fps+ and rarely dipping below 50. Sometimes its weird where its very choppy for the first 5-10 seconds of the round but after that its smooth sailing. Perhaps some disk thrashing as the textures are loading up? Not much to complain about though.

Playing at 1920x1200, no AA (not that I can see aliasing anyway). Smooth as butter, much better than CSS at the same settings anyways... I did install the 77.30 drivers tho :D
I use defaults: all on high, except 2 things: no AA and med lighting. P4 3.4, 1gb memory, 6800u

1280x960 4XAA everything on High with hardware acceleration on for my Audigy 2. No stuttering and runs very fast. I was expecting it to make my system cry but it didn't :p Glad to see Nvidia released beta drivers with this demos release.

I'm runnin everything on high and at 1600X1200 res without any hic-ups. I had to disable shadows on another machine runnin a 5900 non-ultra, and set the res to 1024X768 to get it to run alright.

1280x960 4xAA 8xAF everything on high, caused slight lags, added a 512MB (total of 1.5GB of ram now) stick of ram I had laying around and it is smooth as buttah

how do i check my FPS? im running the game at 1024x768@85Hz, on high mode 2xAA, and the game runs smooth, i still would like to check my fps rates. :)
P4 2.4
768MB pc3200
BFG 6800oc at 380/880
Abit V17 mobo

Tiro_Fijo said:
how do i check my FPS? im running the game at 1024x768@85Hz, on high mode 2xAA, and the game runs smooth, i still would like to check my fps rates. :)
P4 2.4
768MB pc3200
BFG 6800oc at 380/880
Abit V17 mobo

google fraps

AHHHHHHHH WOOT I am freaking happy right now..ya know why? lol....

1 gig ram.... 1600x1200 4x AA 16x AF EVERYTHING max except..... texture....it's on medium.... NO difference in image what so ever....someone get some screenies and prove me wrong..... running @ thsoe settings..I feel like I am playing cs 1.6 again lol... SOOOOO SMOOOOOTHHHHH....

in conclusion, to ru texture @ very high resolution, needs a 512mb videocard... or additional ram so that it can hold the extra video textures.....wow what a difference in performance.... night and day big time :)

I just took out a 256mb stick of RAM (764mb total) out of my other computer and it runs smooth with everything on High 1024x768 w/ 4xaa 16xaf. It sucks because I have to use over 200mb of Virtual memory. And Windows complains when it uses a lot of Virtual Memory.

Have you noticed that there is an extra spot under "High" in the Graphics Setting? I just remember that the UT2004 Demo only let you have "High" as the highest setting. In the full game there is a "Ultra High" Setting. Maybe there will be an "Ultra High" Setting in the Full Game, but probably not. ;)

actually there is...... check nvnews.net forums... some guy unlocked the ultra high settings...

First, system Specs:
Athlon 64 3000+ @ 2.3Ghz (This speed is subject to change without notice :p )
512MB RAM
GeForce 6600GT, 128MB, AGP
Sound Blaster Audigy 2

Yea, BF2 is a RAM whore, lol :rolleyes: .
512MB of RAM is not adiquate, at least not for me. My pagefile quickly filled up (And its set to 2GB, WTF?) So I'm guessing I need a lot more RAM.

Even with a GeForce 6600GT and only 128MB of vRAM the game still ran fine after everythign was loaded (It took a full 4 minuts for everything to get loaded into my pagefile, than the stuttering went away :p )

Turning on hardware sound acceleration helped bring me up a whole 5FPS, I guess whatever can take some load off the processor will help, right?

Now if you excuse me, I'm off to order two 1GB sticks of RAM. :rolleyes:

Yeah, and I wonder how this map compares to the average size of them all. If there's something a lot more intensive then I can see myself saving up for more RAM instead of a new graphics card!

aZn_plyR said:

Umm.....No. Also, if it runs like crap at a maxed out Res like that, tone it down. Damn.
1600x1200 will stress your system hardcore.

BTW, it is really hard to follow what the hell you are talking about.

To the OP:

I run everything High, 1024x768, 2xAA and avg. about 52 FPS. Running the 77.30 drivers.

Back