Performance question regarding old vs new raptors

Strategy

Limp Gawd
I have a pair of the original 36GB WD360GD raptors in a a RAID 0 array. Would getting one of the new 74GB ADFD drives give a NOTICABLE improvement with game loading and day to day tasks?

My dilemma is this:

Buy the IP35-E mobo on the egg right now, for $59 after rebate, sell my 2 old drives and pick up the new 74GB drive.

or

Keep my drives and buy the IP35 vanilla with a raid controller onboard.

I hate to have to go through the trouble of selling the drives and all that if the difference is not that great.

Ive done a fair amount of googling and cant find any good data on the real world speed difference.

Hmm, that is the old GD version of the 74GB, but what im wondering is how that data translates to real world performance.

Are we talking, 10 second differences on application loading/game loading etc, 3 second, 1 second?

I realize it is all relative to what you are doing etc, but just looking for a general estimate.

A while ago, I had only 512 megs in my main box, and was using a 7200.7 200GB drive as my boot and swap drive. Upgrading to a Raptor for use as a swap drive gave me much, much better performance until I got more money and bought 2GB of memory for it. It's also the only one of my drives that can keep up reliably with BitTorrent on my internet connection.

I'm glad I bought it, but I think I'll go for solid state for performance after this.

hello. what about one 150gb raptor x? performance gain?

hello. what about one 150gb raptor x? performance gain?

Must be the question of the century. It's been asked and debated @ a zillion times. There's no way you are gonna find out if the performance is equal to the $/GB unless you really try one.

I've used Raptor HDDs since they have become avaliable with no qualms. The speed is something I've noticed from day one, and continue to notice it every day.

Worth it to you? Who knows.

Only yourself, after you've used one.

Must be the question of the century. It's been asked and debated @ a zillion times. There's no way you are gonna find out if the performance is equal to the $/GB unless you really try one.

I've used Raptor HDDs since they have become avaliable with no qualms. The speed is something I've noticed from day one, and continue to notice it every day.

Worth it to you? Who knows.

Only yourself, after you've used one.

QFT!

I have a pair of the original 36GB WD360GD raptors in a a RAID 0 array. Would getting one of the new 74GB ADFD drives give a NOTICABLE improvement with game loading and day to day tasks?
I'm gonna tell you no. I've had the original 36'ers in RAID0, tried one as a single, bought a 74GD, then bought a single 36GB ADFD, then another for RAID0, then sold one ADFD and am running a single again. Two things to address. Going from a RAID0 to single won't give you much, if any performance loss with typical desktop usage. If you're crunching a lot of big files, you'll notice the STR loss. For app launch, bootup, etc. a single is just as good as RAID0 in many cases. Depending on the onboard mobo chipset, I had a small improvement in these things with RAID0(10-15%), others 0%. The strength of the original Raptor is its access time, it's the STR that lags behind current drives, and the fact the cache wasn't as desktop oriented. I upgraded to the newer drives out of curiosity and the sale two old, paid for a one new. They are a little better, but, no, your OS isn't going to boot 8 seconds faster, more like 2 if you're lucky. I'm sure cumulatively, the new drives help at a little bunch of things that aren't that perceptable, but are there.

Thanks, thats what I was looking for. I think im going to just hang on to these for now and upgrade them later.

Back