• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Perc 5/i(s) won't POST

Trackr

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 10, 2011
Messages
1,786
I bought two Perc 5/i cards, with BBU and RAM.

I want to set them up in my H67 build which will become a NAS.

But, I can't get them to even POST!

I place either of them in either PCIe x16 slot, the PC starts up, and about 10 seconds later.. shuts down and restarts.

I tried removing the battery, the RAM, the SAS cable.. nothing!

This is my first Hardware RAID controller, so I am utterly confused.

How can it be that two cards, from different stores, both don't work on the same board?

Any help greatly appreciated!
 
Since you are using an Intel Based Motherboard ... go to this link.

http://www.overclock.net/t/359025/perc-5-i-raid-card-tips-and-benchmarks

In the first posts, find the section "SMBus Issue with Intel Chipsets"

It will tell you exactly how to correct this error.

I used a small piece of electrical tape.
Thread also has great tips and how to guides.

You're a genius!

I cut up a piece of electrical tape and the computer boots up no problem!

Only problem is.. I am not seeing the drives..

Am I supposed to? Am I supposed to press something during start-up?
 
You're a genius!

I cut up a piece of electrical tape and the computer boots up no problem!

Only problem is.. I am not seeing the drives..

Am I supposed to? Am I supposed to press something during start-up?

CTRL+M when prompted.

You will need to define the array (or arrays) before the drives (array) will be visible to the OS.
 
CTRL+M when prompted.

You will need to define the array (or arrays) before the drives (array) will be visible to the OS.

I moved the card to the second PCIe slot, works fine.

It says "Press CTRL+R", actually.

Anyway, I manage to get in, but what I want to do is set up a FlexRAID via software in Windows..

So, how do I tell the Perc 5/i that I don't want any kind of RAID.. I just want the plain drive, as if I had plugged it into the motherboard?

Thanks again, guys!
 
You can have the controller format the drives (may take a while), but then you don't need to have them defined in any type of array.

Just format the drives, make sure the controller can see them and has them initialized, then boot into your OS.

The PERC card will then just act as a pass-through node, aka a normal HDD controller without RAID.
 
You can have the controller format the drives (may take a while), but then you don't need to have them defined in any type of array.

Just format the drives, make sure the controller can see them and has them initialized, then boot into your OS.

The PERC card will then just act as a pass-through node, aka a normal HDD controller without RAID.

Okay, but I don't see that option.

The only options I have are 'RAID 0', 'RAID 1' and 'RAID 5'.

There is no option to just let the drive pass through.

I can enable each drive as its own single-drive RAID 0.. but is that smart?


I also have other questions:

What I want to do, is setup 8-10 drives (1TB with one 1.5TB) where 1-2 are parity (kind of like RAID 6).

So, am I supposed to create a Pool first? If so, how would that work with the parity?

I setup drives 1-8 as Drive Z and then set that as the one DRU and then setup drives 9-10 as Drive X and then set that as the PPU?

Something here doesn't seem right..
 
You can have the controller format the drives (may take a while), but then you don't need to have them defined in any type of array.

Just format the drives, make sure the controller can see them and has them initialized, then boot into your OS.

The PERC card will then just act as a pass-through node, aka a normal HDD controller without RAID.

My PERC5 wont do that, I must put each drive in its own RAID0 array.
 
Okay, but I don't see that option.

The only options I have are 'RAID 0', 'RAID 1' and 'RAID 5'.

There is no option to just let the drive pass through.

I can enable each drive as its own single-drive RAID 0.. but is that smart?


I also have other questions:

What I want to do, is setup 8-10 drives (1TB with one 1.5TB) where 1-2 are parity (kind of like RAID 6).

So, am I supposed to create a Pool first? If so, how would that work with the parity?

I setup drives 1-8 as Drive Z and then set that as the one DRU and then setup drives 9-10 as Drive X and then set that as the PPU?

Something here doesn't seem right..

Thats not how RAID 6 works.

Parity is distributed across all drives. Each drive will have Data AND Parity. Its just that the data will take up a certain amount of space (n-2) so it is said that you "lose" drives to parity, when in reality you are just losing available space to parity.

EDIT: Just seen you are going to use Flexraid. Well then i dont know, you probably just need to set up each drive as its own RAID0 Array via hardware and then let flexraid do the rest via software.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top