Pepper Grinder Hack Disables Wi-Fi At The Table

HardOCP News

[H] News
Admit it, at some point or another, all of us wanted to use something like this at our dinner table. In today's day and age, you'd probably be sued by one of your family members or friends for illegally blocking their Wi-Fi access. :rolleyes:

Among devices used at the table were smartphones, tablets and laptops, with social media, streaming and gaming the biggest distractions. In order stop people from using tech at the dinner table Dolmio have created the Pepper Hacker — a pepper grinder that reroutes the home Wi-Fi and shuts down access to the internet on dependant technology.

Excellent! I do hope they market it properly. It would make a wonderful present for my brother.

Yes, because we need a special $50 pepper shaker that disables the Wi-Fi. Or, we could disable the Internet completely using the router's web portal/mobile application. Surely the kids will never figure out or suspect the pepper shaker though...

Disabling the Wi-Fi wouldn't be enough in my household. We all have mobile devices with Internet access. An EMP pepper shaker would be better.

Another option, as suggested by our family counselor, is to collect all the phones and put them into a basket before dinner. The basket doesn't come out until dinner is over and the kitchen is cleaned up.

Another option, as suggested by our family counselor, is to collect all the phones and put them into a basket before dinner. The basket doesn't come out until dinner is over and the kitchen is cleaned up.

Just make it a rule to not use them at dinner time. Leave them on a desk or wherever. I think if you're old enough to have a phone, you can follow those directions like a responsible person. When going out to a restaurant, I leave my phone in the car (unless I'm out of town or on call... on silent, of course).

I wonder if you could make a small interface on your computer than connects to your router that you can press a button and it disables the internet until you press it again? Just like a "time out" button. Maybe have it use something that also connects to your wireless provider to temporarily stop data for phones, too (have to keep cell reception for emergency calls). I could make dozens of dollars if I did that! :D

I wonder if you could make a small interface on your computer than connects to your router that you can press a button and it disables the internet until you press it again? Just like a "time out" button. Maybe have it use something that also connects to your wireless provider to temporarily stop data for phones, too (have to keep cell reception for emergency calls). I could make dozens of dollars if I did that! :D

Have it put your phone into airplane mode, until it's contacted again :p

Parents: Tell your entirely too entitled and spoiled children to come to the dinner table without any electronic gadgets of any kind whatsoever.

Or continue being shitty parents.

Or fork over (pun very much intended) the cash for a fake pepper grinder and continue being shitty parents. :)

If at home, why not just disable your router's wi-fi until dinner is over.
There, no need to spend money for a fake pepper grinder and you are free to choose whether to be shitty of not-shitty parents. :D

Just collect up devices at the table, and give them back at the end.

Seriously, this is the dumbest, laziest, most easily side-steppable piece of hardware ever.

What? Shut up. That makes far too much sense. Also, how am I going to afford a basket? Madness.

yanno my mom was never an electronics wiz, but when I got in trouble in school she would take the power supply to my Commodore 64. Too much electronic shit at the table? Unplug the fucking router.

Alternatively Dad could threaten to use Grindr at the table and summon a second dad to keep the kids in line if they don't put down their smartphones until after mealtime.

Back