People Don't Understand Or Use Digital Wallets

Carrying around plastic cards and paper currency is stupid

that is all

Well you said what little you do online, but now you are saying you buy a ton online. So not sure how I was suppose to interpret that originally.

But you do see the irony of someone at Hard forums mentioning how little they buy online dont you lol?

Possibly if the majority of our members are [H]ard up for a job/money. But since I have a Fry's and Microcenter near me, I have access to most computer hardware right now. I can afford to pay a little extra as my free time is limited.

Isn't bitcoin vulnerable to inflation as well?

If its still setup to have a set amount of "currency" in circulation it will be less prone compared to a fiat currency. As more people come into it, it will have to be divided even smaller. So deflation may be more likely to occur.

It's not that I don't understand or don't use them, it's that I don't trust them with my information.

I guess I'm in the minority that likes the idea of a digital wallet. Although it's mostly for novelty, I've been using Google Wallet wherever I can.

As I see it, the biggest challenge to adoption is actually making it available. The phone carriers purposely strip the functionality out of their phones, and retail scanners are pretty hard to find or even identify.
I'd bet that 99% of the population have no idea that there is even such a thing as a digital wallet. Half the time I use Google Wallet, the cashier is amazed and looks at me like I just hacked their reader with my phone.

Put it this way, Google wallet doesn't even install on my phone thanks to Google locking the app and services to only Nexus devices. Leaving my Note2 out in the cold.

Ofc, I know of no stores that take Google wallet around here anyway.

Don't think your alone, it's even locked out on Nexus phones on the Verizon network also.

I think verizon is partnered with visa, and yeah someone I know had one and apparently you had to root it or something and get google wallet. This is the biggest problem we currently have a huge format war starting up, and apple I think is even trying to do their own thing. 3-4 standards.

Benefits? I do understand the benefits of the digital wallet: THERE ARE NONE.

Whole idea behind a digital wallet is to one day literally have only a digital wallet (say your smart phone), you don't see the benefit to that you are not [H]ard. Only thing really holding it up is everyone wanting a piece of the pie, be it Verizon, AT&T, or Google a.k.a. the standards and distribution (that and conspiracy nuts). The advent of a digital wallet is the same as the advent of digital media and DRM (a necessary evil). There is nothing bad about DRM done right, except that it does what its suppose to protect the rights holder. And the thing that is broken is the rights holder and intellectual property.

The benefits are security and convenience.

I think the scary part is if one day the RIAA or MPAA abuse it in such a way that they can literally take the money out of your wallet when you watch, read or listen to pirated copy right material.

Because being out in the middle of nowhere with a dead cellphone and no cash or credit cards is so much superior right?

As people switch over the middle of nowhere starts to fix its problems if it wants to stay relevant. But really who can honestly complain the middle of nowhere is the middle of nowhere, there are lots of places in the US where you can drive for hours and not see a single gas station, what are you going to do if you run our of gas? Well duh make sure you have enough gas, and if you are going through the middle of nowhere with no connections of any type make sure you have enough food etc to get you through. And no one says it has to be a 100% system, I would rather have a money clip with some cash and a phone than my current setup which is a loaded wallet full of tons of junk and a phone.

As people switch over the middle of nowhere starts to fix its problems if it wants to stay relevant. But really who can honestly complain the middle of nowhere is the middle of nowhere, there are lots of places in the US where you can drive for hours and not see a single gas station, what are you going to do if you run our of gas? Well duh make sure you have enough gas, and if you are going through the middle of nowhere with no connections of any type make sure you have enough food etc to get you through. And no one says it has to be a 100% system, I would rather have a money clip with some cash and a phone than my current setup which is a loaded wallet full of tons of junk and a phone.

Except those areas don't care about staying relevant. I know because my job has me driving through and working in them quite a bit. While 80% of my work is in major cities, a good 20% is in towns that are crazy small. Having enough gas and food are easy things to plan for. However accidents and break downs happen unexpectedly and you cannot plan for those and you need to have backup plans. However my point was on a post that outright called paper money and credit/debit cards stupid. I pointed out the simple fact that not having a backup plan is far more stupid. I am like you, I don't want a wallet full of stuff. I have $100 on me in cash at any given moment, my fleet fuel card, corporate credit cart and my bank debit/credit card. That is a fairly small amount of stuff and could fit in a money clip easily though I happen to prefer a thin wallet.

I use a cellphone for darn near everything I do. Controlling my money in an eWallet isn't among the things I want it doing.

Well as you say you use your cell phone for just about everything but you have arbitrarily decided that with money you draw the line, thats your own problem, there are still people who dont have computers but they are just rare and have to find their own way through life if they are unwilling to accept convention.

Well as you say you use your cell phone for just about everything but you have arbitrarily decided that with money you draw the line, thats your own problem, there are still people who dont have computers but they are just rare and have to find their own way through life if they are unwilling to accept convention.

It wasn't an arbitrary decision. Ewallets are impractical and far from secure.

It wasn't an arbitrary decision. Ewallets are impractical and far from secure.

I was about to answer rudy the same way. With the current level of mobile security, it's nowhere near an "arbitrary" decision to keep financial information off of my phone, it's simple common sense. Most people who are risk averse won't use banking apps due to security issues and these digital wallets sound even worse. If and when they ever bring airtight security to the technology it would be worth looking into. Currently it's too big of a risk for me and by the responses to this thread, many others feel the same way.

Back