• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Pentium D Question

netsider

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 12, 2004
Messages
466
I looked up the specs on my Dell XPS 400 motherboard, and it says it supports a Pentium D 820, which I quickly looked up on pricewatch. Starmicro sells one here:

http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=592

BUT it lists it as "PLGA775" and not LGA775 (which is printed on the motherboard next to the socket). Is this the same thing, and what I need? Or is there something different about it?

I know PLGA is how the chip is "packaged" and really doesn't designate the socket "type" per se... but will it fit into a LGA775 socket and work, or does it require a different type of socket?

Basically.. I just want to know if the shoe fits so I can go ahead and order it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
 
Check the specs here on Newegg. It is LGA775. Why not get it off of Ebay? My cousin got a Pentium D 915 off of ebay for $35 and I'd imagine a 820 would be even cheaper.
 
Last edited:
Get a Pentium D 9xx off the FS boards here. Probably will be cheaper than eBay.
 
^^^ yes and no...you can find better deals on ebay if you look long enough and bid on enough items ;).
 
PLGA and LGA are the same, IIRC.
They used the same naming terms in OEM boards for P3's and P4's, from what I remember.
 
I'm not sure what the significance of the P is, but it is the same thing as LGA775.
 
PLGA (Plastic Land Grid Array) describes how the core is packaged onto the chip and LGA (Land Grid Array) is the socket name. It is the same thing.
 
Back
Top