pentium D mobo compatibility

g1tigi

Limp Gawd
I'm in need of a replacement mobo for a pentium d 930 (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16819116238).

It seems like intel doesn't care to update its information (nor should it really care for such an old product...) on its website concerning the compatibility of chipsets with this processor. It lists compatible chipsets like 945/965/975--all of which are obsolete at the moment.

So my question is: does it really matter what chipset I go for? Could I just use any LGA775 mobo and have this processor work?

for instance, newegg.com lists the G31 chipset as being compatible with the pentium D... though intel's website doesn't.

thanks.

From my personal experience, I tried to buy a new motherboard for my P4 Prescott (very similar to P4D) and it was listed as compatible...but it didn't work. Not sure how that translates across the board. Mine was a P43 chipset if that matters, maybe someone else has some input.

ah interesting. so I suppose it's really a matter of whether the mobo manufacturer does something (in the bios perhaps?) to make the board able to recognize the old processors...and that's information intel can't really provide.

well the asus mobo looks good, esp with the pcix1 before the pcix16 so the clunky dual slot 7800gtx from this old computer (xps 600) can still fit in without blocking anything useful.

thanks for the help!

I would think it would have more to do with the power regulation for the P-D's compared to the Core CPU's.

Several other have got stuck with motherboards that have ordered and then realized they wouldn't work with the PD. I'm glad you asked for compatability. :)

We like to help here.

Sell it an drop in an e3200/mobo combo for like 90 bucks shipped it will wax the floor with the Pentium D, run way cooler, and consume much less power. ;)

Just caught your sig so you already know this though :)

yeah, really just trying to resurrect an old lab computer on the cheap. It's funny...the tech people we sent this thing out to told us they couldn't get a replacement mobo from dell (mobo fried) but that they could fix it for us with a diff mobo/case for less than $800. Yes, I seriously rofl'd

would the celeron really be any faster tho? same fsb, less l2 cache...but then I guess the big diff is the core 2 architecture vs the dated pre-core 2 architecture of the pentium D....hmm I'll have to think about this....another $50 isn't that much and I won't have to worry about re-mounting the big honking dell cooler...

LMAO wow that's so funny, did you tell them their nuts? lol. I hear ya about resurrecting some older stuff.

About the speed diff though I'll tell ya it's huge. I know crazy huh? Having had both I can say the performance difference was substantial. Not to try and sell ya or anything just something to keep in mind if the cost of a new mobo starts creepin up, just something to consider. With the PD I could run 2 progs at once and that was pretty much it. The e3200 I could just keep piling stuff on and it would do them all easily and much faster. Video editing excluded of course. Check out the reviews on egg. :)

Last edited:
Back