• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Pentium D heat?

Which one?

  • 3200+ Venice

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • 820 Smithfield

    Votes: 14 70.0%

  • Total voters
    20

ekorazn

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 28, 2004
Messages
452
At my fry's, they still have the Pentium D 820 /w ECS mobo for $250. My AMD alternative is a A64 3200+ (venice) /w a MSI mobo, which comes to roughly $250 as well. Just for starters, these are the programs I run:
1. Azureus (java BT client)
2. Firefox
3. Thunderbird
4. Windows Media Player/ iTunes
5. Photoshop CS
6. AIM
7. Steam

These are reasonable programs that I have up and running at the same time (minus mandatory system .exe). Even looking at benchmarks, I don't know if the Pentium D has a pure advantage during this scenario. I just want my system to run perfectly smooth.

The only problem is that this computer will be on 24/7. The case temp is normally at 95F -101F. I'm worried about the 820 getting too hot, since a X2 3800+ running full load is cooler than an idle Pentium D....

If the 3200+ can handle these programs all at once with no problem, I guess cooler is better in my case. I do light video editing, nothing fancy or big.


Either that or a 630 /w mobo for $200
 
you aren't doing any gaming, so you don't really want a good single core gaming CPU, if you can go with the X2, but not the 3200.
 
I would go for the Pentium D. Just get a larger HSF for it and you'll be fine. You get the 2nd core.
 
My 3200+ runs fine so far @ 2.5ghz. I could push it a bit more but my memory isn't following :( Temps are @ 36C idle 45C load with a Zalman 7000-CU cooler if I'm right.
 
If you look at my sig you can see what processor I am running. I am using an XP90c/Panaflo 92mm H/O fan/Arctic Silver 5 combo on my CPU and I get the following temps @ 70F ambient:

Idle: 33c
Load: 46-49c
 
Enjoicube said:
you aren't doing any gaming...

LOL...what do you think "Steam" is :)

If smoothness is the goal, probably the Pent D is the way to go, although I would spend a couple more bucks and get an X2 because it performs better and runs cooler.
 
sorry, i didn't notice, but the PD is plenty fast, hell I had to use a 2500 for years and was fine.
 
Burner27 said:
If you look at my sig you can see what processor I am running. I am using an XP90c/Panaflo 92mm H/O fan/Arctic Silver 5 combo on my CPU and I get the following temps @ 70F ambient:

Idle: 33c
Load: 46-49c

Are you running stock with those temps or overclocked ?
 
Back
Top