Penryn prices by HKEPC

I'm tempted to pick up the QX9650 for my computer I'm building at the end of this year. Hopefully it will actually come out in November. This shit had better be orgasm-inducing.

I'm tempted to pick up the QX9650 for my computer I'm building at the end of this year. Hopefully it will actually come out in November. This shit had better be orgasm-inducing.

$470 more for 170 MHz and an unlocked multi? I don't think you'll get an orgasm from a 5% difference over the Q9550. That's enough cash for an 8800GTX.

$470 more for 170 MHz and an unlocked multi? I don't think you'll get an orgasm from a 5% difference over the Q9550. That's enough cash for an 8800GTX.

What I meant is that it should be a huge leap from my single core Athlon 64 4000+.

And... I mean, it would have to be.

Anything on that chart is a huge step up from the 4000+. Just trying to save you some cash. Good luck.

Anything on that chart is a huge step up from the 4000+. Just trying to save you some cash. Good luck.

Yeh, it's pretty expensive, and definitely excessive. I've gotta give it some thought, but it'd be nice to get the top of the line processor for once.

are these quad pumped fsb's because I am getting wierd values for multiplers on the q9300 and qx9650. Which ever has a 9x or 10x multiplier is the on I am getting lewlz.

are these quad pumped fsb's because I am getting wierd values for multiplers on the q9300 and qx9650. Which ever has a 9x or 10x multiplier is the on I am getting lewlz.

The Q9300 has a 7.5x multiplier with the qx9650 having unlocked multiplier. The multipliers on the 45nm SKU's tend to be lower because of 1.33GHZ FSB.

The Q9300 has a 7.5x multiplier with the qx9650 having unlocked multiplier. The multipliers on the 45nm SKU's tend to be lower because of 1.33GHZ FSB.

so the fsb is quad pumped and the multiplier are non integer then. From that most of those chips are going to be mediocre clockers unless you can get uber-high fsb's. I need benches!

Just buit my super rig in end of June with the QX6700 and another line of CPUS's on the way. Oh well Is not worth the upgrade here since I won't feel much improve performance over my current CPU. I remember all the hype when the Core 2 quads where on the way, thats where I got in to it.
I'll then get a new board and ram for near end of 2008 when the Nelhalem comes out which requires a new socket. Don't cry fokes who are so exciting with Penryn, caues later in 08 the next line of CPU's are coming that might need new board, addition to better DDR3 ram.
I'll upgrade if I have a core 2 dual like E4400 or similar to the new Q9450 then yea. :cool:

From that most of those chips are going to be mediocre clockers unless you can get uber-high fsb's. I need benches!

A 7.5 multi and a P35 board would be sufficient to reach excellent clock speeds.

so the fsb is quad pumped and the multiplier are non integer then. From that most of those chips are going to be mediocre clockers unless you can get uber-high fsb's. I need benches!

P35 motherboards should be able to reach 450FSB with Quad Core I believe, so at that level your still looking at nearly 3.4GHz with a Q9300 not too shabby by any means, step up to the Q9450 and you get 8x multi so that would be at least 3.6 GHz

P35 motherboards should be able to reach 450FSB with Quad Core I believe, so at that level your still looking at nearly 3.4GHz with a Q9300 not too shabby by any means, step up to the Q9450 and you get 8x multi so that would be at least 3.6 GHz

but none of that is too impressive when you consider what the q6600 and q6700 can do at equivalent fsb's. I hope this is not a lame duck die shrink like the 65 nm barcelonas amd was spitting out for a bit.

I was hoping to run the FSB at 400 max. Can't imagine the heat and stress in running at such a speed. Will the system even be stable for 24/7 use? I am quite disappointed; will probably have to get a chip with a multiplier of 8.5 just for everyday use at 400 FSB max.

I will wait for the OC results of the lower end chips with smaller cache and larger multipliers before choosing.

I don't think I will be comfortable with running the FSB at 450.

but none of that is too impressive when you consider what the q6600 and q6700 can do at equivalent fsb's. I hope this is not a lame duck die shrink like the 65 nm barcelonas amd was spitting out for a bit.

I don't really get what you mean, 450FSB is way too much for a Q6600/Q6700 I haven't heard of much quad cores air stable at 4 GHz.

Higher starting FSB are a good thing, just not for enthusiasts that overclock.

If you baught a dual socketed motherboard, and were running 2 Penryn quads on it, would games play OK withought crashing? It seems like 8 cores on 2 chips could be a programming nightmare? :confused:

If the OS just handles it, and evrything is fine, then this should kick our Vista performance experience in the rear pritty hard!!

I would imagine you could set a jumper or something, if you baught a dual socketed mobo, and just wanted to run with one CPU for a while correct?

i'm currently running an e6600 at 3.5 ghz, 3 gigs of g.skill ram, evga 680i SLI a2 motherboard. would it be worth it to upgrade to the e8500 or possibly one of the quad cores? thanks for any suggestions.

i'm currently running an e6600 at 3.5 ghz, 3 gigs of g.skill ram, evga 680i SLI a2 motherboard. would it be worth it to upgrade to the e8500 or possibly one of the quad cores? thanks for any suggestions.

Yup, it's worth it. All the reviews say that it runs cooler, faster and consumes less power. :rolleyes: Google it.

Time to upgrade my Athlon XP 3200+, GeForce mx440, and 1gb ddr. :eek:

Ahaha I'm not too far ahead. I got to upgrade my 3700+ and my 9800pro. I'm pretty sure the speed comparison to the quad core I'm eyeing is going to make me explode. :D

Back