[PCPER] The NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Z Review

Final8ty

Gawd
Author: Ryan Shrout
Date: June 10, 2014

IA powerful architecture

In March of this year, NVIDIA announced the GeForce GTX Titan Z at its GPU Technology Conference. It was touted as the world's fastest graphics card with its pair of full GK110 GPUs but it came with an equally stunning price of $2999. NVIDIA claimed it would be available by the end of April for gamers and CUDA developers to purchase but it was pushed back slightly and released at the very end of May, going on sale for the promised price of $2999.

The specifications of GTX Titan Z are damned impressive - 5,760 CUDA cores, 12GB of total graphics memory, 8.1 TFLOPs of peak compute performance. But something happened between the announcement and product release that perhaps NVIDIA hadn't accounted for. AMD's Radeon R9 295X2, a dual-GPU card with full-speed Hawaii chips on-board, was released at $1499. I think it's fair to say that AMD took some chances that NVIDIA was surprised to see them take, including going the route of a self-contained water cooler and blowing past the PCI Express recommended power limits to offer a ~500 watt graphics card. The R9 295X2 was damned fast and I think it caught NVIDIA a bit off-guard.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-TITAN-Z-Review

Last edited:
Another confirmation to what we all have known from the time it was announced: twice the price for a little less performance than what the competition offers = Titan Z is a damn joke.

So the takeaway from this is to get the best performance, go with Crosfire R9 290X :p.

For a minute there I thought pcper was going to say they recommended the Titan z because they thought it looked better and 3dba difference... but I guess even they couldn't stomach saying that.

Another confirmation to what we all have known from the time it was announced: twice the price for a little less performance than what the competition offers = Titan Z's price is a damn joke.
Fixed that for you...

Still nothing wrong with the Titan Z itself. I mean, lets think about what we're comparing for a second...
- The R9 295X2 is a card with a 500w TDP that requires two fans, a pump, and a radiator to keep it cool. Also 12.5" long, which decreases case compatibility.
- The Titan Z is a card with a 375w TDP that requires one fan to keep it cool. Standard 11" length.

Does the R9 295X2's 33% higher power consumption (and the absurd hardware needed to keep it from bursting into flame) translate into 33% better performance? Not in a single benchmark. It really feels like AMD just kinda brute-forced their way to the top on this one, with no consideration to actual design or practicality (or PCIe logo certification). It's a great PR part, but actually running one day-to-day doesn't really seem like a great solution compared to a traditional dual-card setup (from EITHER vendor).

Basically, I'd rather have a Titan Z in my system than an R9 295X2... just not at the current price-point that that Titan Z commands.

Last edited:
There, I fixed that for you...
Sorry, no. What you've done there is broken that for me.

If you put both cards in front of me, and told me I could have one or the other for free, I'd walk away with the Titan Z.

If you put both cards in front of me, and told me I could have one or the other for free, I'd walk away with the Titan Z.

Me too. Which in turn I would sell and get a 295x and pocket $1500!

Now let's be honest. You're talking about 450w vs 600w of GPU power. Is the 150w really a concern after saying 450w is OK?

Though if you had two 295X2's or one Titan Z and had to choose, you'd go with the 295X2's. That's the financial reality.

If we're playing the re-sale game, you picked a pretty poor choice.

Should have sold it and picked up two R9 290X's or two GTX 780 Ti's instead. Better performance that way. Also easier to cool, and doesn't break PCIe power specs :p

Now let's be honest. You're talking about 450w vs 600w of GPU power. Is the 150w really a concern after saying 450w is OK?
How does 375w vs. 500w (the actual TDP ratings of the cards) equate to talking about 450w vs. 600w? Not sure where you pulled those numbers from (or why you'd want to use them as a point of argument, since they're farther apart than the actual TDP's of the cards).

And yes, it makes a difference. I'm planning on putting my next build in an ncase M1 (which is a MiniITX case). Not only will an R9 295X2 not physically fit inside an M1, there's also no SFF power supply large enough to support it. Titan Z is just BARELY possible, and represents the absolute limit of what can be run inside an M1. So if you're wondering why I'd personally run off with the Titan Z, that's part of it.

Edit: Not that I'd want an R9 295 X2 in my existing Fractal Design R3, mind you. I don't think it's possible to get it to run quiet enough (even at idle) to suit my requirements.

Last edited:
The Titan Z is slower and larger then the 295x2 and much more expensive. What a failure of a card.

They had to downclock the Titan Z just to stop it frying itself whilst the 295x2 runs cool and can easily be overclocked on stock cooler.

Fixed that for you...

Still nothing wrong with the Titan Z itself. I mean, lets think about what we're comparing for a second...
- The R9 295X2 is a card with a 500w TDP that requires two fans, a pump, and a radiator to keep it cool. Also 12.5" long, which decreases case compatibility.
- The Titan Z is a card with a 375w TDP that requires one fan to keep it cool. Standard 11" length.

Does the R9 295X2's 33% higher power consumption (and the absurd hardware needed to keep it from bursting into flame) translate into 33% better performance? Not in a single benchmark. It really feels like AMD just kinda brute-forced their way to the top on this one, with no consideration to actual design or practicality (or PCIe logo certification). It's a great PR part, but actually running one day-to-day doesn't really seem like a great solution compared to a traditional dual-card setup (from EITHER vendor).

Basically, I'd rather have a Titan Z in my system than an R9 295X2... just not at the current price-point that that Titan Z commands.

Back to this bullshit again? Re-read my comment that you quoted. I state right there about it being TWICE THE PRICE for less performance than the competition which equates to it being a joke. For fuck's sake...

A Titan Z would fry in a M1, not enough air supply, a much better options would be 2 * 290x or 2 * 780ti and watercool them so they are single slot.

A Titan Z is 3 slots, if would be pressed up against the grill on the bottom, and only be able to suck air in though a tiny gap under the case, it would die very quickly.

Last edited:

I'm with viper, I could do a lot with the extra $1500.

Back to this bullshit again? Re-read my comment that you quoted. I state right there about it being TWICE THE PRICE for less performance than the competition which equates to it being a joke. For fuck's sake...
What would you like me to re-read, exactly? You said quite clearly "The Titan Z is a damn joke," when in fact, there's nothing really wrong with the Titan Z.

I agree that the price tag is too high (I've said as much, multiple times), but that doesn't make the card itself a joke, just the asking price. Everything else about the card seems solid for a ~$1300 part, only problem is, it's currently priced at $3000.

A Titan Z would fry in a M1, not enough air supply, a much better options would be 2 * 290x or 2 * 780ti and watercool them so they are single slot.

A Titan Z is 3 slots, if would be pressed up against the grill on the bottom, and only be able to suck air in though a tiny gap under the case, it would die very quickly.

M1 can't hold two graphics cards. The Titan Z is the best performance you can put in an M1.

What would you like me to re-read, exactly? You said quite clearly "The Titan Z is a damn joke," when in fact, there's nothing really wrong with the Titan Z.

I agree that the price tag is too high (I've said as much, multiple times), but that doesn't make the card itself a joke, just the asking price.

I don't know. I'm all for impressive engineering myself. But to me, the price makes this card a joke. Sorry. I'd rather get two Titan Blacks and keep the $1000.

I agree that the price tag is too high (I've said as much, multiple times), but that doesn't make the card itself a joke, just the asking price.

You could get two 780ti or Titan Blacks and SLI them and get better performance, and get this, you can watercool them so they are single slot, even when watercooled the Titan Z is dual slot.

So 2 watercooled Titan Blacks are cheaper, faster, give more over-clocking headroom and the same size as the Titan Z.

M1 can't hold two graphics cards. The Titan Z is the best performance you can put in an M1.
It can, but you have to get VERY creative.

Even so, a Titan Z is still the fastest thing you can run in an M1.

There are a few options to rectify that problem. Simplest would be to cut out a 92mm hole in the bottom of the case where the Titan Z's fan lines up, and use slightly taller case feet. Then it's running 100% on nice cool room-air rather than hot case-air.

Using two 290X's or two 780 Ti's isn't really a better option in an M1, for a number of reasons:
- It SERIOUSLY restricts what motherboards you can pick. You'd have to find a Mini-DTX board to get enough slots... but if you stick with a single dual-GPU card, you can use any Mini-ITX motherboard.
- There's no SFF power supply large enough to handle that much load. The 375w Titan Z is already squeaking by, there's no way a 500w SLI / Crossfire system will be do-able.
- Even if you manage to pull off dual card, it will absolutely require water cooling. Titan Z can just be slotted in with no modification to the card.

And if you're doing custom water cooling, a single dual-GPU card is easier to work with in the M1 (one PCB + water block takes up a lot less room than two PCB's + two water blocks).

So 2 watercooled Titan Blacks are cheaper, faster, give more over-clocking headroom and the same size as the Titan Z.
Cheaper? Just took a quick peek at Amazon...
2x Titan Blacks = $2600
2x water blocks = $260

We're already at almost $3000, and we haven't even covered a pump or radiator yet :p

And sure, it would be faster and overclock better, but that doesn't help me fit a Titan Black SLI setup in an M1 (Because such a setup is NOT the same size as a Titan Z).

Last edited:
If you are gaming you could drop down to a 780ti and get the same gaming performance for cheaper then two Titan Blacks.

If you are going to start hacking up the M1 and then making it taller (would recommend 2cm additional clearance n the bottom) then why not get a different case.

If you are gaming you could drop down to a 780ti and get the same gaming performance for cheaper then two Titan Blacks.
Are you trying to say a GTX 780 Ti is just as fast as two Titan Blacks? :eek: Yeah, no...

I'll probably just end up sticking my current GTX 780 in it until Nvidia releases some Maxwell-based parts, honestly.

If you are going to start hacking up the M1 and then making it taller (would recommend 2cm additional clearance n the bottom) then why not get a different case.
Because one cut with a hole-saw and swapping the feet aren't even major mods? :confused:

Not that those mods are even 100% necessary. The bottom is already vented and the stock feet are already fairly tall.

Last edited:

I agree that the price tag is too high (I've said as much, multiple times), but that doesn't make the card itself a joke, just the asking price. Everything else about the card seems solid for a ~$1300 part, only problem is, it's currently priced at $3000.

:(

Here, let me help you:

twice the price for a little less performance than what the competition offers = Titan Z is a damn joke.

See? It's an equation. The "equals" sign indicates why the reasons that Titan Z results in being a joke. This now makes it multiple threads that I've had to explain this to you (and others have even jumped in to try to get you to understand that).

Don't misunderstand this about me: Like you, I think the Titan Z in one hell of a nice achievement, except for the price tag since it offers slightly lacking comparative performance. And like you previously stated, if a Titan Z and a 295x2 were both laid out in front of me and I was told I could choose only one for free, then you bet your ass I would grab the nVidia part...no questions asked and no second thought. ;)

Sorry...you just got a lesser card...please walk away in disgrace because I see nothing but blind fanboism in that statement.

Gotta love it when common sense take a back seat. Glad I don't bleed green or red.

NVIDIA will not send us one. In fact we have asked three times now and NVIDIA has not even replied to my email. That should tell you something.

See? It's an equation. The "equals" sign indicates why the reasons that Titan Z results in being a joke.
Except nothing you said there makes the Titan Z a joke, so the equation doesn't balance.

It does, however, make the Titan Z's PRICE a joke (which is what I pointed out in the oiginal "fixed" quote)

+1

I'd do the same, not because the Radeon is bad, but because all of the extra gear just adds more points for failure.
Also, dat TDP. :eek:

Sorry...you just got a lesser card...please walk away in disgrace because I see nothing but blind fanboism in that statement.

Gotta love it when common sense take a back seat. Glad I don't bleed green or red.

Whoa now...there may be underlying circumstances as to why he would choose the way he would. There are some things that the Z can do that the X2 can't.

I would also choose the free Z because it has a lower power requirement, I don't have to worry about rigging up a WCer, and I own and play plenty of games that utilize PhysX, to name a few reasons.

Did you not read any further into the thread?

Plenty of valid reasons to pick the Titan Z over the 295 X2 if price is of no consideration when picking between the two cards.

For starters, the 295 X2 doesn't physically FIT in the case I personally plan to use. Why would I ever pick a card I can't use? That's not blind fanboyism, that's common sense :p
I also don't want a 500w TDP graphics card in my case. The Titan Z offers a 33% reduction in TDP without a 33% performance penalty.

Now if they'd just price the darn thing closer to $1300 or $1400...

Whoa now...there may be underlying circumstances as to why he would choose the way he would. There are some things that the Z can do that the X2 can't.

I would also choose the free Z because it has a lower power requirement, I don't have to worry about rigging up a WCer, and I own and play plenty of games that utilize PhysX, to name a few reasons.

Sorry but at those prices, the performance and system you need to run those cards the power requirements are non issue. If you are looking at one of those systems you are not worried about power consumption...get an AMD APU if that is your concern...and physics, really????

Except nothing you said there makes the Titan Z a joke, so the equation doesn't balance.

It does, however, make the Titan Z's PRICE a joke (which is what I pointed out in the oiginal "fixed" quote)

You have to pay $3000 to own a Z. The price tag is a part of the Z. The comparatively less performance is a part of the Z. No way around them. Those parts of the Z results in it being a joke. You are the only one out of all the members on this forum trying to argue that...ask yourself why? I suspect what the true reason is, but I'm not going to stoop down and post it then risk getting banned.

Sorry but at those prices, the performance and system you need to run those cards the power requirements are non issue. If you are looking at one of those systems you are not worried about power consumption...get and AMD APU if that is your concern...and physics, really????

Horseshit. Overall power consumption, noise, and features that I use matter greatly to me. So yes, really. If I had to actually spend the exorbitant price for either, then it would be a different outcome.

Sorry but at those prices [snip]
Ok, so you didn't read...

I said, given the choice between a FREE Titan Z and a FREE 295X2, I'd Pick the Titan Z. Price had nothing to do with the comment you originally quoted.

Horseshit. Overall power consumption, noise, and features that I use matter greatly to me. So yes, really.

LOL...overall power consumption with a high end system? Maybe you have other more imortant things to worry about then like utility bills? And what features are we talking about for a gaming card...physics....oh please.

LOL...overall power consumption with a high end system? Maybe you have other more imortant things to worry about then like utility bills? And what features are we talking about for a gaming card...physics....oh please.
Dunno about you, but I want a quiet (silent, if I can help it) system. This makes power consumption an EXTREMELY important figure, because it also tends to have a direct impact on how much heat I need to get rid of and how much cooling I need to invest in.

Overall power consumption also impacts weather or not I can run a passively-cooled (no fan, no noise) PSU.

Also, your earlier suggestion of using an AMD APU was a bit misguided. Intel currently offers a superior performance/watt ratio.

You have to pay $3000 to own a Z.
Yup.
The price tag is a part of the Z.
The price tag is what you pay for the Titan Z, but it in no way changes what the Titan Z is.
Doesn't matter if it costs $1 or $10,000, the Titan Z itself remains exactly the same card.
The comparatively less performance is a part of the Z.
Which doesn't matter if priced appropriately.
Thus, the Titan Z's price is the problem.
Those parts of the Z results in it being a joke.
How, exactly? Looks like the price is a joke, not the card.

Last edited:
Ok, so you didn't read...

I said, given the choice between a FREE Titan Z and a FREE 295X2, I'd Pick the Titan Z. Price had nothing to do with the comment you originally quoted.

If its because it doesn't fit in your case....that's an acceptable excuse....otherwise point still stands. The 295X2 is the better card performance wise, and after all isn't that what these top end cards are all about?

Back