PCPer Male Bag #49 Addresses New Threadripper on Your X399 Board

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Josh Walrath (@JoshDWalrath) of PCPer fame, is talking a bit about the new Threadripper CPUs coming out, and we have a bit of clarity to add to his comments. He was asked "Will the new Threadrippers require new motherboards? Will it still be X399?

While we love us some Joshtekk.com (now defunct, but you can get a T-shirt there), the answers around this are fairly simple. The answers are, "No," and "Yes." All of your current X399 Threadripper motherboards are going to be able to run any of the new Threadripper CPUs coming out very soon. We expect AMD to launch new Threadripper CPUs around the end of Q318. What you are going to see impacted is "high end" overclocking on many of the current X399 boards in terms of the higher thread count Threadripper parts. The fact is that while the current crop of X399 should not have issues running the new 32-Core parts at stock clocks, most, if not all of the current motherboards were not designed with power delivery in mind for "highly" overclocking those 32-Core parts. You are going to see redesigned motherboards based on the X399 chipset with edge-of-the-envelope overclocking and proper power delivery baked in. We do not expect an X499 chipset to be wheeled out for these new motherboards, but you will likely see X499 some time next year.

Check out the video.

I'm glad I have my dual 8 cpu pin MSI X399 Pro Gaming Carbon AC. Probably no issues OCing a 32 core

As long as your VRMs stay cool and not blow up!!!
Looks like a half-decent finstack, still a chunk of metal but lots of surface area for heat transfer. Probably would be okay with a bit of overclocking.

I'm glad I have my dual 8 cpu pin MSI X399 Pro Gaming Carbon AC. Probably no issues OCing a 32 core

Depends on how the power phases (VRM) are divided. I'm betting 1/2 are for 1 socket and 1/2 for the other. It would make sense as power fluctuates differently chip to chip requiring dedicated power flow to compensate for load line calibration etc...

In other words, 2 sockets won't likely help you.

What are we talking "dual socket"? I'm confused.

As far as OC'ing goes, on any decent MB it might take a little active cooling here and there. Old school like we used to have to do.

What are we talking "dual socket"? I'm confused.

As far as OC'ing goes, on any decent MB it might take a little active cooling here and there. Old school like we used to have to do.

You are right. I was thinking dual socket Xeon. They don't have dual socket thread rippers yet do they?

Back