• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PCIx Sound?

Nope, sorry - Sound processing doesn't need a 64 bit bus - 32bit PCI will be just fine for the forseable future. If there was, it would not offer any performance increases whatsoever.
 
fuelvolts said:
Nope, sorry - Sound processing doesn't need a 64 bit bus - 32bit PCI will be just fine for the forseable future. If there was, it would not offer any performance increases whatsoever.
Well, I can't speak for the OP, but my wanting for a PCI-Express sound card is two fold:

1. I have slots to fill on my motherboard

2. I would love isolation from my on-board SATA RAID controller to avoid cracking/popping.
 
So , what kind of PCIx is expected to used for sound card ( 16X PCIx ) or ( 1X PCIx)

How much 1X PCIx is faster than normal PCI 2.3 ? ? :confused:
 
Vertigo Acid said:
Well, I can't speak for the OP, but my wanting for a PCI-Express sound card is two fold:

1. I have slots to fill on my motherboard

2. I would love isolation from my on-board SATA RAID controller to avoid cracking/popping.

LOL SLOTS TO FILL ON MOBO.

"no nooo we cant have empty space! i dont care if i dont need a card reader PLUG IT IN! it was only $9.99 at zellers! i dont care if i can have a sound card thats just as good and will be cheaper, its pci! i need pci-e stuff!"

jk. really i am.

yea i run so many external devices (or at least my dad does), i have like 3 of those pci to usb "converters" or w/e you call em.
 
MrWizard6600 said:
LOL SLOTS TO FILL ON MOBO.
...
Let me rephrase that;
I have two PCI slots, and two sound cards. I have 2 free PCI-Express slots. I would much rather have one of each available for future expansion than have two slots gathering dust that I never will use.
 
SoundBlaster said:
So , what kind of PCIx is expected to used for sound card ( 16X PCIx ) or ( 1X PCIx)

How much 1X PCIx is faster than normal PCI 2.3 ? ? :confused:

remember theres pci-e 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x and 16x. 16 is really only VGA cuz nothing else needs that much gbps
 
MrWizard6600 said:
remember theres pci-e 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x and 16x. 16 is really only VGA cuz nothing else needs that much gbps
uh yeah okay you keep thinking that. What about 10 gig fiber nics?
 
corrosive23 said:
uh yeah okay you keep thinking that. What about 10 gig fiber nics?
I was going to buy me some of those tbh :D

Remember PCI-X is not PCIe

PCIx is an extention of PCI, mostly just serverboards have them.
 
corrosive23 said:
uh yeah okay you keep thinking that. What about 10 gig fiber nics?

10Gbps = 1.25 GB/s

PCIe x4 link provides 1 GB/s each direction (2 GB/s combined bidirectional)
PCIe x16 link provides 4 GB/s each direction (8 GB/s combined bidirectional)
 
starbuck8968 said:
10Gbps = 1.25 GB/s

PCIe x4 link provides 1 GB/s each direction (2 GB/s combined bidirectional)
PCIe x16 link provides 4 GB/s each direction (8 GB/s combined bidirectional)

Ahh FTW! Besides, who nees that in their home yet?

Well, PCI is so cemented right now, I bet its a few years before you see ANY mainstream PCIe peripherals besides VGA cards.

Regular ol PCI 33mhz can process 7.1 surround sound realtime 24khz and 110+dB, thats pretty damn good considering how old PCI 2.3 is. I cant help to wonder if we are at the limit though.

PCI will die eventually, but I bet you upgrade your mobo before you buy a PCIe sound card.
 
fuelvolts said:
Ahh FTW! Besides, who nees that in their home yet?

Well, PCI is so cemented right now, I bet its a few years before you see ANY mainstream PCIe peripherals besides VGA cards.
There are already NICs
 
Back
Top