• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PCIE x16 vs x8

Jaheed

n00b
Joined
May 31, 2010
Messages
47
Working on my latest (SFF) build, I decided on an LGA 1366 vs an 1156 CPU/MOBO because I couldn't find any 1156 MOBOs that supported 2 x16 PCIE cards (I looked primarily at ASUS and Gigabyte as those are the brands that have caused me no grief in the past I had some poor luck w/ an MSI board years ago, and do not know if their boards are better now).

My questions are these: are there any 2x16 1156 boards out there, and how much performance do I lose running a pair of 5850s in dual x8 slots (my understanding with the 1156 boards I looked at was that they had 2 x16 slots but if you used both they could only operate at x8).

Thanks.
 
At most, you lose about 5% by going with a x8/x8 CF setup compared to a x16/x16 setup.
 
My questions are these: are there any 2x16 1156 boards out there
No, 1156 does not support this feature. It is a disappointment. I have looked into this too :(

There gains past x8 lanes is very small. I think I read it in a review somewhere.

Found it! Link
Also, Tomshardware did one much earlier link

Gains past x8 are very small. Don't worry :D
 
No, 1156 does not support this feature. It is a disappointment. I have looked into this too :(

There gains past x8 lanes is very small. I think I read it in a review somewhere.

Found it! Link
Also, Tomshardware did one much earlier link

Gains past x8 are very small. Don't worry :D

if 1156 doesnt support it then how does EVGA get away with it. Also I saw something somewhere that shows that board does work with CF, just doesn't officially support it due to EVGA's close ties to nVidia.
 
if 1156 doesnt support it then how does EVGA get away with it. Also I saw something somewhere that shows that board does work with CF, just doesn't officially support it due to EVGA's close ties to nVidia.
The slots both support 16 lanes. Used simultaneously however, they drop to 8 lanes each. The chipset doesn't support it and there is no way around it (NF200 doesn't exactly do it since it is just splitting lanes).
 
You can still get 60-70% performance out of a HD 5850 through a 1x link. 8x is fine.
 
The slots both support 16 lanes. Used simultaneously however, they drop to 8 lanes each. The chipset doesn't support it and there is no way around it (NF200 doesn't exactly do it since it is just splitting lanes).

I had to go find reviews elsewhere to believe it, but yep your right. Thats pretty crappy of them to show both as 16x on the mobo itself.
 
I had to go find reviews elsewhere to believe it, but yep your right. Thats pretty crappy of them to show both as 16x on the mobo itself.
You can run either slot at full speed, so it isn't a bad thing. You also don't want 2 x 8 lane connectors as then you would never be able to put a video card in. This has been a standard way of doing things on pretty much all motherboards.
 
Back
Top