• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

djtico75

n00b
Joined
Nov 24, 2016
Messages
2
I recently purchase a Toshiba OCZ RD400 solid state drive. I am getting transfer speeds of 1.4GHz / second on PCIe 2.0.
Saying it's fast would be an understatement. My standard sata SSD's max out at about 250mb / second.
Regardless, I haven't been able to install my OS on it. I've tried a fresh install using DVD & flash drive for both windows 7 & 10. I also tried to clone the existing drive/OS however it still refuses to boot using the PCIe hard drive. I plugged the hard drive into the gen1 slot as well as the x4, x8 & x16 slots...same results. I assume the problem is my hardware/motherboard (the latest bios is installed).
FYI, I am running a HP Z600 workstation w/ dual X5970's, 48GB ram. Model: WD059AV
Any thoughts?
 
Your system is too old (came out 8 years ago). You won't get a socket 1366 system to boot off NVMe.
 
Says right there that it's actually booting off USB. Close, but not quite.
 
Says right there that it's actually booting off USB. Close, but not quite.

Yes, and no - "I finally got this all working. Linux boots from the PCIex drive on X58 using a small grub based bootloader on a USB drive which has just the Linux kernel and the initrd."

He needs the USB drive to do the initial handoff, but the OS is still on the PCIE drive.

I am surprised that he got it working. Then again, this probably can't bring done as gracefully, or at all, with Windows.
 
Thanks for the info. Yes, the workstation is past its prime but it's still a beast. I picked it up as a barebone with dual X5670's for cheap money. The sata2 hard drive is the only thing holding it back from benchmarking off the charts. Also disappointing is that my 850 EVO ssd under performs in this workstation.
I'm not much of a gamer...I do a little 3D modeling and photo editing. On the other hand, I think it's very cool to see a 4GB file transfer in under 3 seconds. My next fresh build will absolutely have a built-in M.2 on the motherboard.


Thanks again!
 
Yes, and no - "I finally got this all working. Linux boots from the PCIex drive on X58 using a small grub based bootloader on a USB drive which has just the Linux kernel and the initrd."

He needs the USB drive to do the initial handoff, but the OS is still on the PCIE drive.

I am surprised that he got it working. Then again, this probably can't bring done as gracefully, or at all, with Windows.

You may be able to chain load windows though grub unless windows prevents the install.
 
Back
Top