PCIe 2.0 card fried my PCIe 1 slot

game14

[H]ard|Gawd
here is what happend... I got me a HD3650 to replace my nvidia 6800gs in my HTPC. Since watching 1080p movies was impossible with the 6800gs. Ok , cheap videocard upgrade with an ATI card , onboard video decoding to keep the load off the cpu. Did a lot of research and questioning to find out if the HD3650 work in my old socket 939 Asus mobo with VIA chipset. Since even Asus said that a the HD 3000 series are backwards compatible with all PCIe 1 slots ,that they auto detect the slot speed and set themself to the given speed, i said ok and got myself a HD3650. Ok, deinstalled the nvidia drivers, absolutly cleaned the OS from nvidia, installed the new card and ...nothin.Fan spinned up on new card but screen is black.Checked everything ,nothin.Onboard vga works fine.Installed ATI drivers ....failed to detect new device.Hardware manager...no vga card found. After several hours of trying to install the new videocard i gave up :mad:.Cleaned system again from ATI drivers. Plugged my good old 6800gs back in and .....black screen.Switched to onboard vga installed nvidia drivers again , same i had before... no screen on videocard. Ok fine....now i really got :mad: Got to my friends house borrowed his nvidia card ...gave him mine that actually works fine , plugged his in in my mobo and nothin....no vga card found.
GREAT , so i guess the PCIe slot is fried and ASUS or ATI who said that those freakin PCIe 2.0 cards work in PCIe 1 slot mobo owe me a new MOBO .
What kind of information is that ??? Do those @%§$/!! actually know their own stuff they sell ???

you really dont have a quality psu *rolls eyes* i wouldnt blame ati for this.

I would estimate that 90% of all 8800GT(pcie2) owners use a PCIE1.0 motherboard.

that's a lot of people.

PCIE specifications did not kill your computer.

I am going to have to agree with Domini. I doubt PCI-e2.0 fried your board, as it IS backwards compatible. Either bad PSU, or static :eek:

Another vote for the POS 500 watt Rosewill as the true cause, here. I'm hard-pressed to believe that card was higher draw than the 6800 though.

Interesting... I wonder what the problem was... :/

PCIe backwards compatibility wasn't it though...

I concur with everyone else here so far, PCI-E 2.0 did NOT fry your PCI-E slot. Your HD3860 works in your friend's PC correct? If it didn't fry his PCI-E slot, then it definitely didn't fry yours.

Your card does not send power to the motherboard, it's the other way around, so it's not the card that fried anything...

Another vote for the POS 500 watt Rosewill as the true cause, here. I'm hard-pressed to believe that card was higher draw than the 6800 though.

Rosewill ??? what Rosewill ?? never mentioned anything about a Rosewill.
PSU is an Antec Earthwatts 380W, more than enough for an card with only 71W powerdraw.

I concur with everyone else here so far, PCI-E 2.0 did NOT fry your PCI-E slot. Your HD3860 works in your friend's PC correct? If it didn't fry his PCI-E slot, then it definitely didn't fry yours.

HD 3650 !!! Dont know if it works there , gonna figure that out tomorrow. But i dont know if hes willing to do that since he has seen that my mobo pcie doesnt work anymore.Maybe the card is faulty.

Your card does not send power to the motherboard, it's the other way around, so it's not the card that fried anything...

The card does not have an external power connector. Draws his power through the pcie slot....if it draws more power than the mobo can give there is a chance that something got fried.But from the info that i had from ATI the powerdraw should not be more than any other card without power connector.

PCIe 2.0 is completely backwards compatible with non-2.0 at this point, I've never heard of a single report of an incompatibility like "that" frying a board.
As stated before:
1. ESD
2. Crappy Antec PSU
3. Improper seating
4. Onboard is overriding the slot?

The 3650 doesn't draw more wattage than PCIe 1.1 specs from the slot so that wouldn't be the case.

-- I was just looking and saw other incompatibility reports with your mobo, but some mention of a BIOS revision that acts as a workaround of sorts. Dunno if it exists anywhere, - I don't see a proper patch on the ASUS site or anything. So looks like you're SOL with that mobo.

even if the card needed more power then it still wouldnt fry it. also OP we were referring to your sig.

LOL you'd think he'd realize thats where we got that from but agreed for faulty card and/or psu

i know i use a Rosewill for my gaming rig ( sig ) :D , its the only good PSU that Rosewill ever renamed . But they dont sell them anymore. But if you refer to my sig ... no way i would replace my 8800gts with an HD 3650.
Im talking about my HTPC where i replaced an 6800gs with an HD3650. The nvidia 6 series dont do HD video decoding.

go into you BIOS and make sure that the video options are set to PCIe and not Onboard (actual option may read differently).

PCIe 2.0 is completely backwards compatible with non-2.0 at this point, I've never heard of a single report of an incompatibility like "that" frying a board.
As stated before:
1. ESD
2. Crappy Antec PSU
3. Improper seating
4. Onboard is overriding the slot?

The 3650 doesn't draw more wattage than PCIe 1.1 specs from the slot so that wouldn't be the case.

-- I was just looking and saw other incompatibility reports with your mobo, but some mention of a BIOS revision that acts as a workaround of sorts. Dunno if it exists anywhere, - I don't see a proper patch on the ASUS site or anything. So looks like you're SOL with that mobo.

1. ESD ...then i guess the board wouldnt work anymore at all.
2. Antec Earthwatts is fine PSU .
3. Checked that more than once.
4. good question, but is set to PCIVGA as 1st adapter
I still didnt figure out if its PCIe 1.1 or 1.0a , i know there are issues with 1.0a slots and powerdraw.But since i had a positive answer from asus that it should work.....:rolleyes:
Its an ASUS A8N VM SE , VIA K8 chipset.
I mean when they know that there are compatibility issues they should post brand and model# on their homepage so that somebody can look it up and not leave it to the customer to find it out when something gets fried.:eek:

ok ...since i calmed down a little , is there any way i could check if the PCIe port is working without plugging a videocard in it ???

1. ESD ...then i guess the board wouldnt work anymore at all.
2. Antec Earthwatts is fine PSU .
3. Checked that more than once.
4. good question, but is set to PCIVGA as 1st adapter
I still didnt figure out if its PCIe 1.1 or 1.0a , i know there are issues with 1.0a slots and powerdraw.But since i had a positive answer from asus that it should work.....:rolleyes:
Its an ASUS A8N VM SE , VIA K8 chipset.
I mean when they know that there are compatibility issues they should post brand and model# on their homepage so that somebody can look it up and not leave it to the customer to find it out when something gets fried.:eek:

ESD is a very strange phenomenom and doesn't necessarily kill everything. Most of the time it'll kill one thing and until that one parts gets used everything else will seem normal.

ok ...since i calmed down a little , is there any way i could check if the PCIe port is working without plugging a videocard in it ???

Yeah, plug in another PCI-E 1x-16x device into it.

i actually ment without plugging anything into it , like kind of testprogram or something like it

i actually ment without plugging anything into it , like kind of testprogram or something like it

nope. you have to plug in something known good for it to see if it works..

EDIT:

just a thought, and I'm not implying that you're this dumb, but was the system turned off when you changed cards?

nope. you have to plug in something known good for it to see if it works..

EDIT:

just a thought, and I'm not implying that you're this dumb, but was the system turned off when you changed cards?

of course not ...i always change my cards under full power and 100% load :rolleyes:

of course not ...i always change my cards under full power and 100% load :rolleyes:

You know, I'm just trying to offer my help based on experiences I've had or read about. If you don't want it then just say so. There's no need for smart-ass comments. So you can take that shit elsewhere.

You may get mad, but I've seen people do this before. Actually changing internal parts while the machine is on. :eek:

You shouldn't get so angry though. I know it can be frustrating when expensive/important parts don't work like they should. Believe me, I've been there more times than I can count.

Try disconnecting all power to the system. Sometimes, even when a system is "off", the power still going to it can be dirty due to a shock or some other power surge.

Your port may very well be burnt out, but the only way to test it is by using another PCI-E device of some kind (doesn't have to be a video card).

It wouldn't be because of PCI2 in PCI, but the card itself may just be compromised, causing your slot to get fried. It's possible

here is what happend... I got me a HD3650 to replace my nvidia 6800gs in my HTPC. Since watching 1080p movies was impossible with the 6800gs. Ok , cheap videocard upgrade with an ATI card , onboard video decoding to keep the load off the cpu. Did a lot of research and questioning to find out if the HD3650 work in my old socket 939 Asus mobo with VIA chipset. Since even Asus said that a the HD 3000 series are backwards compatible with all PCIe 1 slots ,that they auto detect the slot speed and set themself to the given speed, i said ok and got myself a HD3650. Ok, deinstalled the nvidia drivers, absolutly cleaned the OS from nvidia, installed the new card and ...nothin.Fan spinned up on new card but screen is black.Checked everything ,nothin.Onboard vga works fine.Installed ATI drivers ....failed to detect new device.Hardware manager...no vga card found. After several hours of trying to install the new videocard i gave up :mad:.Cleaned system again from ATI drivers. Plugged my good old 6800gs back in and .....black screen.Switched to onboard vga installed nvidia drivers again , same i had before... no screen on videocard. Ok fine....now i really got :mad: Got to my friends house borrowed his nvidia card ...gave him mine that actually works fine , plugged his in in my mobo and nothin....no vga card found.
GREAT , so i guess the PCIe slot is fried and ASUS or ATI who said that those freakin PCIe 2.0 cards work in PCIe 1 slot mobo owe me a new MOBO .
What kind of information is that ??? Do those @%§$/!! actually know their own stuff they sell ???

DOTS, WE NEED MORE DOTS

Solution: Get a 939 mobo from the [H] FS/T section -- cheap?

I know it's a cop-out but whatever, maybe it'll solve everything and just make your life easier.

Or... keep on testing every possible problem, but we know that for sure there are reports that say that many PCIe 2.0 cards have failed on that board, specifically. (Not necessarily frying the slot as you seem to observer/think -- just failing to work as described)

Just search on google for Asus A8V-VM SE pci-e 2.0 and the third link down is an example with an 8800GT.

Were you grounded when you changed your cards. You probably were since you sound like a smart guy, but just checking. I'm an electrical engineer and I always wear a ground strap. It's mandatory when handling any chips or boards. It's very easy to fry them.

I'm running a PCIe 2.0 board in my PCIe1.1 mobo. Make sure you don't have a 1.0 slot. Those are not compatible.

Were you grounded when you changed your cards. You probably were since you sound like a smart guy, but just checking. I'm an electrical engineer and I always wear a ground strap. It's mandatory when handling any chips or boards. It's very easy to fry them.

I'm running a PCIe 2.0 board in my PCIe1.1 mobo. Make sure you don't have a 1.0 slot. Those are not compatible.

1.0 is still compatible. There were a handful of Nforce4 boards (I beileve) that had issues with 2.0 cards.

You know, I'm just trying to offer my help based on experiences I've had or read about. If you don't want it then just say so. There's no need for smart-ass comments. So you can take that shit elsewhere.

sorry, i thought you were kidding ,so i meant that as a joke.
Dont believe that someone really would try to hotswap a card,but as many said you never know.
Gonna do some more testing today .

That should be an easy fix. Does the cap look physically damaged or how did you find out it was the cap?

Used a magnifying glass to check the pins of the PCIe slot if there was a broken or bent one . Thats when i noticed a tiny bit of liquid around the bottom of one of the caps.
Since the PCIe slot doesnt work anymore i guess that cap is connected to it.
Gonna see if i find a replacement cap in local stores around here, and then I ll see if everything works again.
Tested the HD3650 on another computer and the card seems to work fine, different mobo chipset though.

Back