PCI-E vs AGP

jgaustin

n00b
Is there really a benefit speed wise with PCI-E over AGP? I have a 6800GT AGP in my current system and I am thinking about doing a full upgrade of everything but that.

Also can anyone recommend a really good motherboard that is socket 939 but still supports AGP? Most look like they support PCI-E now.

Thanks

yes, a massive one...however, current cards (aside from Hypermemory and TurboCache cards) are not designed to take advantage of the available bandwidth, so you won't see a difference between AGP and PCI-E varieties of the same card...

I wouldn't advise doing a full system overhaul with an AGP system. In the future, we will probably start seeing PCIe parts released months before the AGP variants if at all. So if you plan to use this system as an upgradeable base for a couple years then your best bet is PCIe.

personally if i were going to do a full system upgrade, mobo and all, i'd go with PCIe, it is the future, AGP like PCI will slowly be phased out

right now there is no major differences in games between performance of AGP and PCIe though, but someday there may be

if your system is fast enough right now then i would not suggest doing a full sysytem upgrade right now. If you already have a 6800gt then you will be fine to play games for atleast a year. I would wait till it would be a real difference in speed, pci-e and agp 8x cardshave no prefemance differences at this time (even agp 4x has no real bandwidth issues). Just save your money or buy a game or 2 to play.

jgaustin said:
Is there really a benefit speed wise with PCI-E over AGP? I have a 6800GT AGP in my current system and I am thinking about doing a full upgrade of everything but that.

Also can anyone recommend a really good motherboard that is socket 939 but still supports AGP? Most look like they support PCI-E now.

Thanks

MSI Neo2 Platinum is arguably the best AGP s939 board.

pci-e is the way of the future. if you're going to build a system you may as well build it to suit its future environment. That environment contains pci express

delusion_2005 said:
Well for future proof i would certainly go for PCI-E.

I agree w/ this as well. I have the PCIX version of the Sapphire X850XT and I've read alot about it. Somewhere they even did a comparison of the PCIX to the AGP Pro version and the only difference was +- 5FPS in most cases. So if you don't have the money to go PCIX (even more so for the X850XT), go w/ a really good AGP Pro one (ATI cards strongly recommended) and you'll get just about the same results. ;)

why upgrade?

agp with 6800 gt can run any game at max details probably with AA and AF on at very playable resolutions.

If you got that much money to burn that you want to upgrade you should do something else with it.

Buy car parts, save for an xbox360, throw a party do something more rewarding with the money.

Why do people keep saying a 6800GT will only last people a year... I am hopping mine will last 4 years through college..... :confused:

jgaustin said:

Thanks

The real benefit with pci-express is being able to go SLI with a motherboard such as the ASUS A8N-SLI. Plus if you buy an Nvidia SLI motherboard now, when the next-gen G70 comes out you will be able to SLI it on your mobo!

Shakezilla said:
Why do people keep saying a 6800GT will only last people a year... I am hopping mine will last 4 years through college..... :confused:

Where was that said? If anything, AGP will only last people a year. The 6800GT should last a few years, until people *need* the next gen cards.

4 years is a LONG time btw :)

well since u have a 6800gt..and u ddint list ur cpu..so it is probably not keeping up with the gt..so go ahead and upgrade the cpu/mobo to a better one i guess..don't worry about pci-e since u already own a 6800gt...just grab a mobo/cpu and be done with it! and the next time you upgrade..upgrade eevrything to PCI-E and take off from there...

Oni21 said:
I agree w/ this as well. I have the PCIX version of the Sapphire X850XT and I've read alot about it. Somewhere they even did a comparison of the PCIX to the AGP Pro version and the only difference was +- 5FPS in most cases. So if you don't have the money to go PCIX (even more so for the X850XT), go w/ a really good AGP Pro one (ATI cards strongly recommended) and you'll get just about the same results. ;)

You mean PCI-e, PCI-X is a server related interface.

shiffero said:
if your system is fast enough right now then i would not suggest doing a full sysytem upgrade right now. [/BOLD]If you already have a 6800gt then you will be fine to play games for atleast a year.[/BOLD] I would wait till it would be a real difference in speed, pci-e and agp 8x cardshave no prefemance differences at this time (even agp 4x has no real bandwidth issues). Just save your money or buy a game or 2 to play.

I have seen a couple people say this, when I get my 6800GT I better be able to pull at least 30 fps in game that get released in late 2006 and 2007 or god help me :p

As you can see my attempt at bolding failed miserably :(
also bold is a funny word is that how its spelled?

Are there cards that one could buy for a PCI-e card to work in an AGP board? I really dont feel like upgrading my board again.

Its funny when ppl start talking about future proofing when I would venture to say most ppl here upgrade their computers on average every 18months. Chances are most of us won't even take advantage of any of this "future proofing" which is why the only thing you should really blow your money to "future proof" is your monitor, case and speakers. Dont worry about AGP vs PCI-E just yet, its a ridiculous arguement since most people don't even appropriatly match their CPU to their Video card and one or the other becomes a bottleneck. Kinda like running a 6800GT with an Athlon XP. By the time the next gen cards hit full steam we'll have something well beyond our current cpu's and mobo's so you'll be upgrading again to take advantage of the latest and greatest. And if you fool yourself into thinking you'll be buying that PCI-E mobo once now, as future proof for the next gen cards your going to get a suprise when your cpu cant' push enough power to take full advantage of that shiney new video card because now you have a new bottleneck, but most people don't realize this.

Which is why my A64@ 2.6ghz & 6600GT AGP scores 4200+ in 3DM05 which is right up beside 6800's and poorly setup systems running 6800GTs. Am I worried about AGP nope, I can still get my hands on an X850PE AGP if I really wanted, but by the time the next gen cards come around, I'll have already upgrade to something dual-core with an S949 mobo :rolleyes:

I agree with Brian...future proof only applies to those disciplined individuals who upgrade once a decade :D

I could buy a PCI VC now for the sake of future proofing but would likely buy a mothboard, cpu and VC later on anyway. Isn't that what makes us [H]ard?

...or stupid :D

btw, my mmx pentium was future proof.

Pkirk618 said:
I agree with Brian...future proof only applies to those disciplined individuals who upgrade once a decade :D

I could buy a PCI VC now for the sake of future proofing but would likely buy a mothboard, cpu and VC later on anyway. Isn't that what makes us [H]ard?

...or stupid :D

btw, my mmx pentium was future proof.

Thanks....I know I've been sold once or twice on future proofing, but I realize now I just buy what I need and it ends up saving me loads of money in the end. Look at all those people who paid top dollar for 9800Pro trying to future proof only to realize that the next gen cards can do even better at half the price, and the same goes for those who went out and bought a 6800Ultra thinking "well I'll just spend the money now once" or those people who spent more then they should on an SLI mobo. LOL. The next gen cards which some people are talking about are already rumoured to be faster then 2 6800Ultra's running in SLI go figure....

Hey thank you for whoever started this thread, i was about to do a "Future Proof" upgrade to A64 with PCI-E thanks to this awesome thread i am reconsidering.
Quite the read

Back