PC wont boot past POST, help!

Gatecrasher3

Limp Gawd
Hello, so I have tried many different troubleshooting solutions with no success, so I'm asking because maybe there is something I overlooked.

Spec:
AMD x2 4200
EVGA 590 sli (I know...what the hell is that?)
4 GB Corsair 3200
2x evga 8800GT sli
500 GB WD black
Win 7

Ok my five year old PC is failing to boot past POST, if I turn it on it will get to the Windows loading screen and then the screen stays black after that.
I have managed to get it to boot a few times trying different methods, like booting in low rez mode (works maybe 1 out of 15 times), booting in safe mode (safe mode always works) and even a few times it would just boot normally into Windows (very rarely).

I have tried many different things to narrow down the problem, like using a W7 cd and doing a repair install, doing RAM tests to check for errors and doing systems restore, different GPUs, but nothing has got it to work normally (properly boot into regular windows).

I feel it must be a hardware (i think MB) because a don't think a software issue would cause it to boot past POST randomly like this, but I get an 'FF' code readout on my MB and FF means fully functional.
Anyways I know its old hardware and it's time for a upgrade anyways, I just want to get it working because I was going to give my PC to a friend of mine after I upgraded my system so I wanted to get it working for him.
Any advice would be great, thanks guys.

What PSU are you using?
Did you do a bare-bones setup?

I just pulled my second 8800GT, everything seems to be working properly.
Could my PSU be dying perhaps?

Yes, sounds like your PSU is on it's last leg. Change it ASAP or it could potentially damage your system.

Back