PC suddenly freezes.

Q-BZ

Fully [H]
I'm trying to backtrace a new problem on my machine as of late.

The recent hardware change is an EVGA RTX3080 XC3. The latest driver for Cyberpunk is installed. This happened once on the driver previous to it. I don't know if it's the video card doing this or not but the machine itself is just north of two years old and has run like a champ.

My configuration is below in quotes. I am fairly certain this problem did not occur before the GPU swap.

The issue is I can be going about my business outside of gaming and the computer suddenly completely freezes and is unresponsive and then I get a black screen that forces me to hard shut down and restart. So far, probably by random happenstance, this has not happened to me in a game yet. I am not sure where to begin with this or what to make of it.

I am looking through Event Viewer and nothing is really standing out. No BSODs. It's possible I may not know what I'm looking for.

System configuration:

CPU:processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
Motherboard: BaseBoard Product ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC)
Windows 10 64 up to date.
PSU: EVGA 850W Evga SuperNova P2 80 Platinum Certified Modular
2 Samsung v860 EVOs
Kingston 32GB HyperFury DDR4
Very modest overclocks.

have you ddu'd yet?

All this and more begins today. I made this thread last night and then hit the hay.

I am a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" type...that being said I see in Windows Updates optional updates for Intel other things chipset related and such. I probably could look into BIOS update, too, but one step at a time.

EDIT: It's not going to surprise me if I have to take the 3080 out and put its predecessor in today to prove the point. Not really much else I can do realistically. I think I have done all I can do on the software side. I did DDU per their instructions, etc.

Last edited:
I was having some intermitent crashes on my 3080 and i read somewhere that putting your nvidia control panel to "prefer max performance" setting can help in some cases. I did that and have not had a crash since but ymmv

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I went over two weeks with no problems and had one instance today. I think I finally found it in Event Viewer:

Windows Volmgr Event 161.

Ultimately can go to power supply issues but "so far" I am not leaning that way.

I've been gaming and doing everything great just like I was even back when I made this thread. Cyberpunk, you name it.

This happened while I was watching Youtube. All the other times were also, ironically, outside of gaming also.

Causes for that above error typically go to software and video card and video card drivers. I am using Nvidia's current "beta" driver for Cyberpunk. 460.97. I had been running its immediate predecessor as well back when this thread was made. Perhaps the next and official driver update will be better yet?

I did ddu as was recommended earlier in this thread.

I am now prepared to update my BIOS next if it comes to that. Not much more I can do. I will double check power and GPU power settings.

I don't know if normal vs maximum makes any difference on GPU power but I will try that. I did physically inspect the 3080s power connectors and all is as secure as can be.

Back