PC Rebooting While Playing Diablo IV - Have checked everything I know of - HELP!

SlapShot

Limp Gawd
I built a brand new pc, almost specifically to be able to play Diablo IV at very high performance in 4k. I even bought a high end 4k monitor.
Here are the pc hardware stats:
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
Asus ROG Strix 8650E-F mobo
G.Skill Flare X5 Series 32GB DDR5-6000 memory
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Corsair RMX Series RM1000x - 1000 watt, Gold, modular power supply
SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 M.2 2280 Internal Gaming SSD, Up to 7,000MB/S
XFX Radeon RX 7900XTX Speedster MERC310 gaming GPU
NZXT Kraken 240 liquid cooling system

I did check for any issues that could have shown up in the Windows log. There were hardware errors that took place when the reboots happened. They say:
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffd90ef7c72050
Parameter 2: fffff807cd205300
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: fb4

Microsoft Windows Tech Support said the error usually indicates a GPU or GPU driver issue. I have reinstalled the latest AMD driver, and have been running onscreen indicators now, during the game, my last two reboots came when the GPU was nowhere near any kind of overheating or problem. The CPU is also not even breaking a sweat in terms of temps.
This is driving me crazy and I cannot really play the game due to the reboots. There has to be an answer to this! Really need some technical help.

It has crashed and caused the pc to reboot in many varying places, sometimes even when nothing much is happening

I was getting crashing with textures on ultra because I was hitting VRAM limits that were doing weird things, you shouldn't have that issue with 24GB.

I suggest setting a framerate cap. See if that helps. Once I turned my framerate cap to 140 (oh no! so low),my textures to "high" instead of "ultra" and turned on the framerate cap for the cutscenes, the games been 100% stable. Your computer is more powerful than mine is, so you shouldn't have the same bottlenecks.

Reactions: Mega6
like this
What happens when you try to run FurMark? Modern drivers limit how hard FurMark will push the hardware, but the initial power spike when you start running it could potentially reveal an issue.

This kind of random reboot usually indicates an issue with your power supply or power delivery. The RM1000x is outclassed by its competitors in most categories. Its 12V rail voltage regulation is one of the worst, though its transient response time is middle of the pack. Still, if the PSU is new you should not be having issues, especially with the headroom you have based on the power needed. CWT build quality is also pretty good considering it's priced lower than its competitors. Total system power looks to be around 600-650W.

I would recheck all of your power connections to make sure they're fully seated. While you have the PC open, I would also check if anything is touching that may cause shorts. Just to cover all your bases, I would also test each of your memory sticks one at a time to rule out a faulty stick since bad memory could also cause reboots.

try capping fps as suggested and then try another new psu. kyle had issues with crashes on an older 1000w and a 7900 iirc.

Yeh I'd check the memory. Swap out single modules one at a time or from another rig if possible.

Also, are you overclocking your pc, gpu, ram? Are you hitting a throttle point vs. temps? I know you said it happened when you weren't hitting high temps but is it throttling to compensate? Could you try a different normalized profile regardless? Even base/underclock your ram below what it's advertised as. I've had ram timings/voltages that would cause lockups in the past.

I agree with the idea that psu's can tank/bug things also. If possible swap it out. Maybe buy one from somewhere with a good return policy. Doesn't hurt to have a spare anyway if at all possible.

I'd also make sure your wall power is good enough for everything you are running on it. A line conditioner helps vs brownouts, dips, etc. and can give some notification if you are overdrawing ~ clicking a breaker even partway , grounding issues, etc. Are any other electronics in the room showing any indication of power blips? Does it happen when your AC cycles on, etc?

As others said I'd suspect the memory first, then the PSU to start with.

Have you upgraded the motherboard's bios to the latest? Or even a newer beta?

. . .

Looked up your memory's reviews on egg and found a few things that might be of interest:

"Cons: <s>- 3 out of 4 modules failed memtest with thousands of errors, out of the box. (I bought two packs).</s> lol it was the motherboard, the memory is fine"

People are also saying they updated their motherboard bios and enabled "XPO" to get the right timings automatically.

"Cons: * Barely worked in my system with a Gigabyte B650I Aorus Ultra board. Updated BIOS thinking it would improve compatibility but it actually made the system completely unstable. A quick swap out with some other RAM got it going again in a jiffy, so the culprit is clear. Didn't matter if it was one stick or two or which slot for the one stick (this ITX board only has two DIMM slots)* Claiming to be an EXPO kit, I expected no compatibility problems at all. I should have known better as that's never how things work in the motherboard-RAM world."

"Cons: -Motherboard seemed to have issue with timings until I update BIOS, anyone with experience should be fine but those not as tech savvy may have some issues."

"Cons: One of two modules was defective, with intermittent errors at default speeds (4800, EXPO not enabled).

Overall Review: Curiously, the bad module only showed obvious failures (Horizon Zero Dawn crashed on every single load) in one memory channel, in the other memory channel it seemed to work fine for extended periods. There seems to be some variation between the two memory channels on this CPU/motherboard that exacerbates the issue. However, Windows Memory Diagnostics detected errors on that module in both channels, and the other module tested fine in both channels, so there's definitely an issue with the module itself.Each module was tested individually (the other module not populated) in both channels to narrow down the source of the errors. I'd recommend running Windows Memory Diagnostics on all new system builds since DDR5's built-in ECC can hide memory defects and make them much harder to detect in normal system operation.System is configured with an Asus TUF Gaming B650M-Plus WiFi, 7600X, 32GB of G.Skill F5-6000J3636F16GX2-FX5 memory, EVGA 3070, Samsung 2TB 980 Pro, Windows 11 22H2."

Last edited:
Put another kind of heavy load on the system. Cyberpunk, GTA, benchmark test, something. That will help rule out a specific Diablo issue and attribute to load or base system issue.
Also check for mobo BIOS update. My windows 11 laptop did all kinds of stupid stuff fixed by an update.

I would suspect the power supply first, not because that psu shouldn't be up to the task but because the symptoms match and it's a common issue with newer high end graphics cards.

If the computer is rebooting without a blue screen(make sure auto restarts are disabled so you see any blue screen) it's almost certainly the psu but blue screens that point to the gpu can just mean that it's not receiving enough power. When I got my 7900 xtx I had a 750w seasonic unit that couldn't keep up with the spikes and was rebooting without a blue screen some of the time and other times with a blue screen that pointed to the gpu drivers.

I'd test processor and mobo and ram separately. There's gotta be some issue among one of those, they're not liking each other. That 1000w PSU is not causing this, that's for sure.

Check event log and search Google.
Update motherboard bios.
Make sure chipset drivers are updated from AMD website.
Make sure you have latest GPU drivers.
Check CPU voltage in bios and windows. Ideally shouldn’t be more than 1.3 volts. Better if it is 1.25 volts.
Set expo sometimes profile 2 runs better than profile 1.
Run Memtest.
Install single stick of ram to see if it fails.
Make sure your card does not have the vapor chamber issue (shouldn’t be the case since that was fixed months ago). Way to test is if hotspot is over 100 C. Can use HWINFO to verify.
Try to run GPU idle but CPU full load to see if it’s PSU causing the putter to reboot.

Do the above in order.

Report back what was the issue. Also why did you buy a 7900X instead of 7800X3D?

Last edited:
the last time i had random crashes and reboots, i tried *everything,* but it wasn't until i ran a RAM testing tool (forgot which one) that i finally nailed it down (bad RAM.) i'd definitely run a testing tool of some kind, you should be able to run it 8+ hours with zero errors. errors of ANY kind, even if it takes 3 hours to happen, indicate bad RAM (or RAM-related mobo settings, like too little voltage or too aggressive timing etc)

Thanks, VERY much to everyone for the suggestions on what to do. A friend who is extremely experienced in building pc's, software, data networks and more was in town for a brief visit. he knew the problems that I was having and came by to take a look at things. Before he visited, I ran Memtest overnight. No issues at all. He ran every difficult test he could, for every resource on the computer, with nothing found. Finally, he discovered that EXPO memory usage wasn't turned on. This is something that should not have to be selected, it should be automatic, but, for whatever reason isn't. I've been running D4 for five to six hours a session without he slightest problem now.

Check event log and search Google.
Update motherboard bios.
Make sure chipset drivers are updated from AMD website.
Make sure you have latest GPU drivers.
Check CPU voltage in bios and windows. Ideally shouldn’t be more than 1.3 volts. Better if it is 1.25 volts.
Set expo sometimes profile 2 runs better than profile 1.
Run Memtest.
Install single stick of ram to see if it fails.
Make sure your card does not have the vapor chamber issue (shouldn’t be the case since that was fixed months ago). Way to test is if hotspot is over 100 C. Can use HWINFO to verify.
Try to run GPU idle but CPU full load to see if it’s PSU causing the putter to reboot.

Do the above in order.

Report back what was the issue. Also why did you buy a 7900X instead of 7800X3D?
If you look at my description of hardware, I purchased a 7900XTX, not a 7900X

It was a side question about your rig man

AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 M.2 2280 Internal Gaming SSD, Up to 7,000MB/S

I just asked why you got a 7900X over 7800X3D processor? Was trying to understand logic but nevermind.

Thanks, VERY much to everyone for the suggestions on what to do. A friend who is extremely experienced in building pc's, software, data networks and more was in town for a brief visit. he knew the problems that I was having and came by to take a look at things. Before he visited, I ran Memtest overnight. No issues at all. He ran every difficult test he could, for every resource on the computer, with nothing found. Finally, he discovered that EXPO memory usage wasn't turned on. This is something that should not have to be selected, it should be automatic, but, for whatever reason isn't. I've been running D4 for five to six hours a session without he slightest problem now.
EXPO not being turned on should not cause issues. Also, EXPO or XMP is never turned on automatically in order to prevent boot issues. The default JEDEC profile provides the highest compatibility.

I built a brand new pc, almost specifically to be able to play Diablo IV at very high performance in 4k. I even bought a high end 4k monitor.
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
AMD Radeon 7900XTX

I did check for any issues that could have shown up in the Windows log. There were hardware errors that took place when the reboots happened. They say:
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffd90ef7c72050
Parameter 2: fffff807cd205300
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: fb4

Microsoft Windows Tech Support said the error usually indicates a GPU or GPU driver issue. I have reinstalled the latest AMD driver, and have been running onscreen indicators now, during the game, my last two reboots came when the GPU was nowhere near any kind of overheating or problem. The CPU is also not even breaking a sweat in terms of temps.
This is driving me crazy and I cannot really play the game due to the reboots. There has to be an answer to this! Really need some technical help.
I had an issue with a new build kicking me out of games to a black screen and it ended up being the power cable between the video card and the power supply. If everything else is checking out OK try replacing that cable/s.

It was a side question about your rig man

AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
AMD Radeon 7900XTX

I just asked why you got a 7900X over 7800X3D processor? Was trying to understand logic but nevermind.
Sorry I saw this late last night and misread. Would certainly have gone with the 7900X3D in normal circumstances. However, I got the 7900X on a steal from Microcenter, along with the Strix mobo and the memory. that I couldn't turn down. Saved me a fortune. In fact, when I priced all of that out, at the best available prices at the time, I don't even know how they could have sold it for the price they were asking without a huge loss.

Back