PC random reboots when playing some games.

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness
About a month ago, my PC would enter a boot loop, just before entering the desktop it would reboot. I tought initiallyl to be the SSD as it attemted to repair the installation after several reboots.

I replaced the seasonic 600w PSU with a 700w psu and problem solved.

But a few days ago my kid got the save the world add-on for Fortnite and it would reboot just before entering the playfield. I tested several games and only the Fortnite add-on would reboot, I reinstalled it and it worked.

But now I'm starting to get random reboots agan, now in several games. It may take hours of gaming and maybe run fine for a day or two but eventually it reboots. Some days it reboots several time while gaming. Most of the time, while the game is loading.

The windows logs doesm't say anything other than the kernel power and the event log indicating the reboot.

Is there a HW monitor that can log temperature/voltage for cpu/mobo/gpu?

HWiNFO is free and will log to .csv's, among other things. HWMonitor has had known issues with modern stuff.

You sure you aren't thinking of the classic version? The Pro version seems very up to date - last release, version 1.42, was July 19, 2020. Does .csv and graphs. Free for the first 30 days.

You sure you aren't thinking of the classic version? The Pro version seems very up to date - last release, version 1.42, was July 19, 2020. Does .csv and graphs. Free for the first 30 days.
I've used the classic HWMonitor, but I see quite often problems lately with high apparent voltages in Zen CPU's due to the observer effect. No idea if it still happens with latest releases.

HWiNFO has been reliable and also offers graphs and such, without any pro version or trial period. I've never had a reason to go anywhere else, aside from Linux systems.

Could be an issue with RAM. Try setting it to default and not XMP (I've had similar instability and it was the RAM speed).

Otherwise could be a heat issue on the CPU, if you're overclocking, set it to stock.

Or maybe the video card has an issue. Have you tried DDU? Do you have a spare GPU to test with?

Could be an issue with RAM. Try setting it to default and not XMP (I've had similar instability and it was the RAM speed).

Otherwise could be a heat issue on the CPU, if you're overclocking, set it to stock.

Or maybe the video card has an issue. Have you tried DDU? Do you have a spare GPU to test with?

No overclocking on cpu nor gpu.

I have a spare stick of RAM, but I don't think that's the issue. I'll give it a try anyway.

Just tried DDU I'll see how it goes.

Hopefully its not the videocard. Its not like I would get Ampere anytime soon.

You can try MemTest86 to see if the RAM has a problem. You might need to leaving running for at least 8 hours or so (or run it overnight).

You can also try Intel Burn Test to see if your CPU is okay (run a temp monitor at the same time and see if the numbers look alright).

No overclocking on cpu nor gpu.

I have a spare stick of RAM, but I don't think that's the issue. I'll give it a try anyway.

Just tried DDU I'll see how it goes.

Hopefully its not the videocard. Its not like I would get Ampere anytime soon.

Ahhh, com'on, a new RTX 3090 would surely fix your reboot issues... that along with a new 1200W PSU. :D

As cyberreality says, most likely a heat issue. Check all your temps. Blow out all your fans/heatsinks. Could be something as simple as a poor contact patch on a heatsink somewhere...

You can try MemTest86 to see if the RAM has a problem. You might need to leaving running for at least 8 hours or so (or run it overnight).

You can also try Intel Burn Test to see if your CPU is okay (run a temp monitor at the same time and see if the numbers look alright).

Of course RAM issues could be caused by the IMC. In which case you can run memory benchmarks all day and it will pass them all with flying colors, but as soon as you stress the CPU in a game the PC will crash/reboot. Only way to really test this is to underclock the RAM until the system is stable.

damn, it has been running rock stable for hours
Ahhh, com'on, a new RTX 3090 would surely fix your reboot issues... that along with a new 1200W PSU. :D

As cyberreality says, most likely a heat issue. Check all your temps. Blow out all your fans/heatsinks. Could be something as simple as a poor contact patch on a heatsink somewhere...
I do plan to upgrade to Ampere, just not in the near future, unless it was cheap which I think it won't be.

setting more conservative timeings on my ram has always fixed any crash/reboots for my setups

Well it hasn't crashed so far, but sometimes it runs fine for days, so the fat lady hasn't sung yet.

Sounds like it was a driver issue and DDU fixed it? (assuming you're still stable)

Back