• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PC Racing Game?

orangeblue

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 16, 2009
Messages
325
I haven't really played any racing games since DIRT 2 which I found quite enjoyable (even better that it came for free with my graphics card :p), and am looking for something new to try. Three games have caught my attention, but considering I don't feel like spending the money to buy all three and don't have the time to play them all, I was wondering what you guys would recommend:
1) Need for Speed Shift
2) Split/Second
3) Blur

My concerns for each one are: NFS Shift - possibly too sim based, S/S - not enough content, Blur - possibly too arcady (as in, I'm not sure how much I'd like the "Mario Kart" style gameplay). I'm not really strictly a fan of either sim racers or arcade racers, as long as the cars themselves are fun to drive, and the game has enough content (cars & tracks) to keep me entertained for awhile. So, thoughts?

As a final question, does anyone know if there are plans for a GRID 2?
 
Shift isn't very sim like at all unless you want it to be. You can adjust the controls on Shift to make it more sim like or more arcade like. Your very first race tests your driving style and recommends a set up based on how well you did. You can change it at any time until you figure out how you like it.
 
Burnout Paradise is amazingly fun. Codemasters (the devs for GRID & DIRT) are currently working on the new F1 game, so not much news on grid 2 at the moment.
 
Need For Speed Undercover was my fav. Decent story line, missions, huge map, graphics quality a bit less than NFS shift but still pleasing. I think the overall gameplay was much more fun and the cars were a lot more fun to drive imho. The way they have it layed out is pretty cool too because it kind of forces you to become a better driver before giving you the ability to unlock the faster cars so you don't jump into them too quickly and end up skidding around all over the place. By the time you unlock the top cars you're pretty much a master and can drive them to their fullest like it's 2nd nature. Check it out.
 
Last edited:
Grid was awesome! Havent played dirt yet, but Im picling up a copy of dirt 2 soon. Burnout was pretty fun, but I just couldnt get over the cars to REALLY like it. I Car that had a Cuda body, mustang tail lights and a Camaro front end... Lots liked it, but it kinda bothered me.

That said grid is awesome but not really sim like. Probably your best bet right there.
 
Shift: I hated the demo. Felt like I was driving hover cars.

Then the game went on sale at D2D for $25, so I bought it (because I end up buying everything anyway) - and loved it. With the driving assists turned off I was able to find a perfect balance between an arcade racer and a sim racer.

The cars can be outrageously fun to drive - especially the lower tiered cars. But the visuals, if you have a powerful rig, are amazing. At speed everything begins to blur out, as though you're getting tunnel vision.

I easily got my money's worth out of Shift. Some of the tracks, by the way, are just awesome. Spa and The Ring are standouts.
 
I liked the original Dirt, Dirt2 didnt have as many courses which transitioned on/off tarmac which I liked as a change of pace, most of them were too grit/mud based and you slid everywhere. Grid handling was too lame for me. NFS Shift was alright, didn't keep me hooked though, track racing isnt that fun for me.
 
Burnout Paradise is awesome, I have beaten it and gone back for every single car and achievement.

GRID I am almost finished with and it's my favorite racer since NFS Underground back in the day. I LOVE the drifting in GRID, it's fantastic!

NFS Shift is good, I don't like it nearly as much as GRID but it's got along the same lines of "feel" to me the way I have it setup so it's a good alternative when I'm tired of beating my head against the wall on Extreme difficulty on GRID.

DiRT 2 is okay, DiRT is better I think but it's hard to beat DiRT 2 for graphics and eye candy and that alone makes it worth playing :)


If you're up for old school games check out NFS Underground 1 and 2. I think I beat original Underground 5 or 6 times, 4 without a gamepad :D I just got Blur in the mail today for PS3 but have yet to try it, been playing ModNation Racers instead.
 
Shift: I hated the demo. Felt like I was driving hover cars.

Then the game went on sale at D2D for $25, so I bought it (because I end up buying everything anyway) - and loved it. With the driving assists turned off I was able to find a perfect balance between an arcade racer and a sim racer.

The cars can be outrageously fun to drive - especially the lower tiered cars. But the visuals, if you have a powerful rig, are amazing. At speed everything begins to blur out, as though you're getting tunnel vision.

I easily got my money's worth out of Shift. Some of the tracks, by the way, are just awesome. Spa and The Ring are standouts.

You literally just made me wanna reinstall it. Damn you.
 
i bought the codemaster racing pack on steam a month ago... GRID is great... DIRT 2 is good too!
 
I've also been looking for a nice new racing game. I really enjoyed the original Need for Speed (Road & Track Presents) and of course Porsche Unleashed. The aspects of this game I loved the most were linear tracks in NFS1 (start to finish - no laps) with beautiful, changing scenery (hint to TDU), nicely modeled stock cars (the upgrades in PU are great) with detailed descriptions and audio commentary, good physics, crashes, traffic, and cops. Does NFS:Shift offer these things?
 
I've also been looking for a nice new racing game. I really enjoyed the original Need for Speed (Road & Track Presents) and of course Porsche Unleashed. The aspects of this game I loved the most were linear tracks in NFS1 (start to finish - no laps) with beautiful, changing scenery (hint to TDU), nicely modeled stock cars (the upgrades in PU are great) with detailed descriptions and audio commentary, good physics, crashes, traffic, and cops. Does NFS:Shift offer these things?

You would love grid.
 
Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box has kept my Eyefinity setup pretty busy of late.
 
I need to go do that stupid 24 hour (20 minute or so) race in GRID. Fun, but hard. :)
 
Burnout Paradise is amazingly fun. Codemasters (the devs for GRID & DIRT) are currently working on the new F1 game, so not much news on grid 2 at the moment.

NFS Shift for traditional-style track racing, and Burnout Paradise for fun-messing-around arcade-racing, are both great games. I never really got into Dirt 2 or Grid as much as I did these.
 
Racing games are really personal, what one person likes another may not and its really hard to describe "why" a particular racing game is good as a lot comes down to how the cars feel. Personally I didn't like NFS SHIFT. To me it failed at being a good arcade racer but also failed at being a good sim and the cars felt very floaty and didn't respond how I'd expect. I preferred GRID, but didn't like GRID when using a keyboard or wheel, only really enjoyed it with a controller. Again, GRID felt very floaty, which I didn't feel suited playing with a wheel.

When it comes to racing games, you just have to play it and decide whether or not you like it.
 
If you want a challenge in both solo and multiplayer try Trackmania Nations: http://www.trackmania.com/
Free download, play as long as you like. If you want more cars and upgrades buy the game.
One of those rare games that draws you in and before you know it you've been playing for two hours.
 
Shift! So awesome. Blazing around a track in a freaking Veyron against several other Veyrons is a nutbuster of an experience. :)

I have to second the mentions for Burnout as well, especially for the wrecking "race" (can't remember what it's called, but you have to smash other cars off of the road :)).
 
See I can only play sim style games. If I can hit a wall doing 120mph and drive away with no damage to the car then I won't play it. Arcade style racers are for rookies, I loved grid tho, it looked a little like a arcade racer until you hit a Wall and destroyed your car...I'd love a sweet F1
game, I'm patiently waiting
 
You should give GRID a try. Graphics and game play were great for me and it is fun. A lot of car unlocks and some cool multiplayer gaming.
 
For RACING... with ARCADE, SEMI-PRO & PRO settings (not quite full SIM)...

RACE On Bundle (includes Race 07, Race ON, STCC - the Camaro Cup rocks)
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2277/
$35

List of cars & tracks:
- Race 07 - http://www.simracingworld.com/content/344
- Race ON & STCC - http://www.simracingworld.com/content/377

100's of FREE add-on tracks, cars, skins & several full-on MODS!
- http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=1

Very active racing community with dedicated servers.
- PRO settings only @ http://www.racedepartment.com/calendar.php

Excellent F1 mod (Monaco is amazing)
- http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=2389

f1.jpg


Here are a few of my skins:

000.jpg


AMA_King_HUSTLER.jpg


I'd also suggest:

GTR Evolution (only required for a few mods, but adds TONS of cars)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/8660/
$20

This free "Mustang SE Cup" mod requires GTR EVO.
This is an awesome set of cars & they handle like BEASTS!
http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=24268

Really nice add-on skins too...
http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=18582
http://www.simracingworld.com/files/download/1971-mustang-se-cup-car-livery-pack/

mustangs.jpg


mustangSE.jpg


FOR FULL SIM = iRacing & LFS (Live for Speed)
- you can look those up if you are a real racing nut...
 
Last edited:
PS - these games are a bit older, but they look great & runs on pretty low spec PC's.
- if you have a high spec PC, you can get great FPS @ max settings

Also - because they are a little older... there are a TON of mods & established communities.
 
Back
Top