PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610..Still working great after 8 years

302efi

Gawd
Would moving to a newer gold or platinum rated be beneficial other then being more efficient ? My Silencer 610 damn near 8 years ago and its still going strong after being in a few builds since. I remember paying a premium for this back in the day..lol

It it's not broken don't fix it, correct ?

Overclocking near the limit can have benefits with tighter regulation. Higher efficiency means less heat and potentially quieter operation.

I'm still using my PC Power and Cooling 750w and have been since 2007. I won't change it until I need to.

Modular would be nice, though.

things like power supplies do degrade with time/use. I wouldn't retire it, but I wouldn't use it with a new system that demands 600 watts either. Might be time to put it in a B machine.

I'm still using my PC Power and Cooling 750w and have been since 2007. I won't change it until I need to.

Modular would be nice, though.

I had a PCP&C 750w that I had to retire recently, it had to be around 10-12 years old.
From what I remember, it was a re-branded Seasonic unit.

It wasn't a total failure, the system started rebooting under load.

Most of the time it happened when I was away from the computer and figured out the 3D screen saver would do it.
Did some testing with AIDA64 and found that the 5v was losing regulation under load.

Replaced it with a FSP Hydro-G 750w (Gold [H] award and was on sale).

:eek:What happened to this brand? They used to make quality PSU's. I haven't seen much of their stuff lately, and to be honest what I did see at MicroCenter was basically junk.

...now I'm starting to feel a bit nostalgic. Lots of brands have disappeared over the years. Remember the DFI LanParty boards?

edit: after checking Newegg, it appears PcP&C still makes high end PSU's. $325 for the 1200W unit. :eek:

Last edited:
:eek:What happened to this brand? They used to make quality PSU's. I haven't seen much of their stuff lately, and to be honest what I did see at MicroCenter was basically junk.

...now I'm starting to feel a bit nostalgic. Lots of brands have disappeared over the years. Remember the DFI LanParty boards?

edit: after checking Newegg, it appears PcP&C still makes high end PSU's. $325 for the 1200W unit. :eek:

They were bought by OCZ YEARS ago and then when OCZ went bankrupt FirePower aquired the brand. There are reviews on the mainpage.

I'm still using a turbo cool 510 express, with a z97/g3258 build. The thing is, I absolutely trust it, regardless of efficiency. The 3 blade Delta fan is still going strong.

Trust me.. Oh how I wanted a N-Force Green, Orange or Yellow Lanparty board.. With the color matching IDE cables

DFI is still in business, but they no longer cater to the Home PC market. Mainly industrial stuff. They lost $$ in the PC enthusiast market.

My PC P&P 510 SLI from mid 2006 was still going, I ended up giving away the machine in 2016 as the CPU or motherboard was dead.
Went from
2006 Intel Badaxe D975XBX + Pentium D 950 + 2x1GB Crucial DDR2-800 + GF6200 (shared RAM - 2006) / XFX 7900GS XXX (2007)
2010 Gigabyte 965 board + C2D E6750 (Thanks to Headstand for the amazing deal) + 4x2GB OCZ DDR2-800 + XFX 7900GS XXX / XFX 8600GTS / GeForce GT 240
2013 Supermicro X7SBE + Xeon X3320 + 4x2GB Samsung DDR2-800 ECC + onboard VGA video (whatever that was)

I don't really have a lot of stuff now so I use an old Lenovo X201 on a docking station. lol

Still using my PCP&C 425w deluxe. Looking at the receipt right now. Purchased March 31st, 2003 for $136.10. Checked it with the multimeter a few months ago. Still within acceptable ranges. Clean power from that and my Liebert active UPS are probably why my nForce2 rig has lasted through 14 years of gaming.

Last edited:
PCP&C doesn't fuck around. That being said, I might worry about the various internal components wearing out after 10+ years. Things like electrolytic caps don't last forever, and will degrade/fall apart eventually. Depends on what kind of load it's seen during it's life too.

PCP&C doesn't fuck around. That being said, I might worry about the various internal components wearing out after 10+ years. Things like electrolytic caps don't last forever, and will degrade/fall apart eventually. Depends on what kind of load it's seen during it's life too.

Yup I agree. I had several PCP&C psu's for years. Once OCZ got a hold of them it all went to shit. Sad too as I always trusted PCP&C for all my rigs.

Yup I agree. I had several PCP&C psu's for years. Once OCZ got a hold of them it all went to shit. Sad too as I always trusted PCP&C for all my rigs.

I never had a lot of love for OCZ. The first thing I bought from the newly-formed OCZ was a GFD for my Athlon 550, and that shit didn't even work because they decided to forgo using external power on the GFD. I got a different GFD with external power and all was well.

I was a lot more cautious of their stuff after that.

The only thing that was ok about OCZ was their RMA support. I may still have some OCZ ram in one of my boxes of junk, lol.

They were starting to turn around some by going with Super Flower as an OEM, but by then the writing was on the wall for OCZ.

I personally replace units at 10 years no matter how well built they are. Electrolytic capacitors don't last forever, and most of the Turbo-Cool units used Teapo parts right when the great capacitor crisis was going on.

I had a PCP&C 750w that I had to retire recently, it had to be around 10-12 years old.
From what I remember, it was a re-branded Seasonic unit.

It wasn't a total failure, the system started rebooting under load.

The capacitors were probably on their last legs, 10 years is an eternity for capacitors, especially in a high heat environment. I refurb old PSUs all the time with complete recaps and they last another 5-10 years depending on use. You can't save them all though, sometimes they get taken out by power spikes or other abuse.

I had a Coolermaster 450W that lasted 8 years to the day before the system it was in randomly shut off. Inspection of the PSU revealed most of the caps were leaking or shorted open. I recapped it about 4 years ago now and it's still working in some system I passed on to relatives.

The capacitors were probably on their last legs, 10 years is an eternity for capacitors, especially in a high heat environment. I refurb old PSUs all the time with complete recaps and they last another 5-10 years depending on use. You can't save them all though, sometimes they get taken out by power spikes or other abuse.

I had a Coolermaster 450W that lasted 8 years to the day before the system it was in randomly shut off. Inspection of the PSU revealed most of the caps were leaking or shorted open. I recapped it about 4 years ago now and it's still working in some system I passed on to relatives.

Agreed that recapping may have saved it.
I used to be a bench tech and repaired power supplies (not for PCs) every day. :)

Even though I could have repaired it, it's not worth my time.... I'd much rather just buy a new one.

I still have ny 10 year old PCP&C 750w PSU in my son's PC. Never had issues, not even the fan (the fan on my newer PSU recently replaced).

Back