PC & Power Cooling 750W? The best 700 - 900W PSU out there?

RamGuy

n00b
I'm going to replace my dull Hiper Type-R 730W PSU and was thinking of the PC & Power Cooling 750W?

After reading the review on AnandTech I get the impression that when it comes to 700 - 900W PSU this is the best PSU available to date?

I have the Crossfire edition.

I can't be bothered to do in-depth testing, but the voltages on mine run a little low (DMM verified). I'm not sure if this has affected overclocking, but I doubt it.

It's definitely a good PSU, but those pursuing a silent computing solution may not like the 80mm fan (it's damned near silent on my system, but at higher loads (which my highly overclocked hd4850 + e8400 cannot produce) apparently it is noticeable. The Corsair Tx750 (140mm fan) may be better in this regard.

I think the Silverstone PSU may have tested slightly better than the PCP&C 750w, but it's also more expensive.

Go for it, but be prepared for a Squid of cables :)

Edit: I see that Silverstone prices have come down, but I cannot remember WHICH model tested so well :confused: --- hopefully someone knows

The PC Power & Cooling has a louder 80MM fan (although it's called "Silencer" it's one of the loudest PSU's on the market) and is not available as a modular power supply (something that most people buying "enthusiast" level power supplies are looking for.)

That said, it is efficient and has very good voltage regulation. But I wouldn't say it's the over all "best PSU available".

How does the BFG ES-800 compare to the Corsair 1000HX? Is it true BFG is making a modular PSU?

How does the BFG ES-800 compare to the Corsair 1000HX? Is it true BFG is making a modular PSU?

BFG doesn't make power supplies, they just put a sticker on someone else's supply (ie. Seasonic). When buying a supply don't look at the name on the outside, look at who made the insides.

BFG already sells some in Europe and here. Stay tuned for a review of those, and new products ;)

BFG doesn't make power supplies, they just put a sticker on someone else's supply (ie. Seasonic). When buying a supply don't look at the name on the outside, look at who made the insides.

Current BFG power supplies are either Topower (older stock that is clearing out), Andyson, or ForePoint.

True to some extent. But the brand has a lot of input on what the OEM does with the product like component selection, specs, etc.

A good example of this is the HardOCP review of the Xigmatek. A "known good" ChannelWell unit, yet it failed to pass HardOCP testing... twice.

And have a look at the difference between a Seasonic built Antec and Seasonic built Corsair. Quite a stretch. Single vs. dual layer PCB, Teapo and OST caps vs. all Japanese.....

With BFG, I like to start with a platform that's different than what everyone else is using. If you can find an Andyson MT8 (what the ES-800 is based off of) you're welcome to buy it as it will probably perform the same. Of course, if you do find one it probably won't come with a Lifetime Warranty and 24/7 tech support. And the LS and MX are all ForePoint, which is another brand you can't find here in the states. And if you could, they wouldn't come with Matsushita primary caps. ;)

Back