PC Partpicker (Estimated Wattage)

JOSHSKORN

Limp Gawd
How good is PC Partpicker at with estimating the wattage you'll need for your PC?

What I'm getting at is, I put all of my parts in, and it claims I'll need a PSU of just over 500 watts for my setup, and I have a 1000 PSU. I'm wanting to replace my GPU soon. Currently, I have a GTX 980, and I want to upgrade to possibly the RTX 3080 or maybe even RTX 3090. From what I'm seeing, these video cards use almost 200 watts more of power.

Edit: Here are my system specs, as I listed on PCPartPicker. The only thing that isn't accurate is the RAM, I couldn't find 4x16GB listed: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/JOSHSKORN/saved/#view=7PnjZL

Last edited:

pendragon1

Fully [H]
How good is PC Partpicker at with estimating the wattage you'll need for your PC?

What I'm getting at is, I put all of my parts in, and it claims I'll need a PSU of just over 500 watts for my setup, and I have a 1000 PSU. I'm wanting to replace my GPU soon. Currently, I have a GTX 980, and I want to upgrade to possibly the RTX 3080 or maybe even RTX 3090. From what I'm seeing, these video cards use almost 200 watts more of power.
ive always recommended to use at least the minimum recommended for the gpu. add more if you intend to oc.

Tsumi

[H]F Junkie
CPUs also vary greatly in terms of power consumption, especially when talking about overclocks. Listing only the GPU is less than half of the picture.

JOSHSKORN

Limp Gawd
CPUs also vary greatly in terms of power consumption, especially when talking about overclocks. Listing only the GPU is less than half of the picture.
Fixed the OP to include all of the parts in my PC. The only thing missing is the eSata connector to which I don't even use anyways.

SmokeRngs

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2008
I think I put my setup in there one time for an estimate on power usage. It may have not been there but another power usage calculator. What I do remember is the power usage it said for my system was waaaaaaaay off. It probably showed my power usage at 150w or more than what my system uses under the heaviest load. That includes the GPU overclocked and running 100% on a distributed computing program as well as all threads at 100% on my CPU on another distributed computing program. The only thing which might run my CPU harder than a dc program is encoding and maybe Prime95 and neither of them use much more power. The dc program running on my GPU is a different story. Nothing runs that harder. Power usage and temps on that dc program are much higher than any game has ever even thought about using.

Take any power estimate from one of the power calculators with a huge grain of salt. It seems what they do is take the absolute max power something might theoretically use and then add another 10%-20% power usage as a buffer to cover their asses. The system in my sig is running on a Seasonic Focus Gold GX-650 and previously on an ancient Antec NeoHE 650. I can probably count on one hand the number of times either PSU has ever seen anything close to a 50% load much less anything higher. My 650 watt PSUs are serious overkill. It gives me a buffer for higher power components if I get some as well as headroom to avoid being at 100% load.

I could probably replace my RX570 with an RTX 3080 and the PSU wouldn't be an issue. It would be running closer to 100% load than I would care for but it should work fine.

The best thing to do is find out how much power the GPU is probably going to be using which in the case of a 3080 can be 350w+, then add in the max power your CPU is going to use, then add a couple hundred watts for other components and then add a bit more for a buffer. That should give you an idea of what you need in a PSU.

I wouldn't mind seeing how much juice my current system uses in total but I'm too lazy to look for my Kill-a-Watt.