PC O11 Vertical GPU Mount & NVMe Temps?

Interitus

Weaksauce
Wondering if anyone here has put an X570 board in the PC 011 Dynamic and also has a vertically mounted GPU and two M2 drives (one above the normal GPU slot when horizontal, one furthest down). I was thinking about buying the CoolerMaster vertical mount but wasn't sure how it would affect cooling of the two drives, bottom one the biggest concern.

Setup would be...

3x120mm bottom intake, 3x120 top exhaust (AIO), undecided about the side/front 3x120mm's yet.

M2 drives are the Inland Premium PCIe 3.0 X4 / Phison E12 drives, so not PCIe 4.0 / E16.

Motherboard will be an MSI X570 Unify.

Appreciate any input.

In case anyone stumbles across this down the road...

I wound up not using the Cooler Master mount. It was a little skewed so I decided to just mount the GPU horizontally. I did test with the vertical GPU just for the sake of knowing. Didn't seem to matter much.

Temps on the lower NVMe drive were 48 under bench load with no vertical mount, 51 with the vertical mount. There's room for some air to get behind the vertical mount plate if you have bottom mounted fans.

I'm actually looking into mounting vertically with the Phanteks mount in the same case. The only issue I have is that I want to have a rad and fans mounted at the bottom and it appears that 58mm is about the limit that you can get spacewise. I need more room.

Wondering if anyone here has put an X570 board in the PC 011 Dynamic and also has a vertically mounted GPU and two M2 drives (one above the normal GPU slot when horizontal, one furthest down). I was thinking about buying the CoolerMaster vertical mount but wasn't sure how it would affect cooling of the two drives, bottom one the biggest concern.

Setup would be...

3x120mm bottom intake, 3x120 top exhaust (AIO), undecided about the side/front 3x120mm's yet.

M2 drives are the Inland Premium PCIe 3.0 X4 / Phison E12 drives, so not PCIe 4.0 / E16.

Motherboard will be an MSI X570 Unify.

Appreciate any input.

I have both the O11 and the O11XL

Both accept the Phanteks universal Vertical GPU mount. The vertical GPU mount (whether it's the Lian Li or a universal like the Phanteks) will block the rest of your slots. Depending on case (O11 or O11XL) you may also not be able to mount a thick Radiator on the bottom.

I have the MSI Prestige Creation X570 motherboard in my XL (and had it in my non-XL for a good portion of the build before I decided I would rather buy the XL and run a thick rad than run a slim one in the normal, non-XL case)

If you aren't putting a thick Radiator in the bottom you'll be fine temperature-wise for the NVME drives. The fans on the bottom will flow right over the mobo NVME heatsinks.

IMAG0826.jpg

Yes. I have 2 cards vertically-mounted. I 3D Printed a mount for the M.2 Expander Card and mounted it to the back of the case. It uses a PCIe Gen4 Riser Cable ($60+) and I get good performance from the M.2 SSDs.

265476_CDM602.jpg

You can mount 2 cards vertically in the non-XL if you print out a mount for the second card.

I'm actually looking into mounting vertically with the Phanteks mount in the same case. The only issue I have is that I want to have a rad and fans mounted at the bottom and it appears that 58mm is about the limit that you can get spacewise. I need more room.

Did you cut out the bottom of the case? you can then use Z brackets to hold the Radiator/Fan combo lower (and use larger case feet to maintain good airflow)

Did you cut out the bottom of the case? you can then use Z brackets to hold the Radiator/Fan combo lower (and use larger case feet to maintain good airflow)

I did cut the bottom out, but I didn't do a precise job of it. I cut just enough out that it allows airflow for 3 120 fans. But there is still enough meat for the fans to be mounted there. I thought of mounting a rad to the bottom and using fans in pull or putting the rad inside the case and putting fans on the bottom to push. Either way, I'd need a lift kit of sorts and filters. I think I'm going to modify to try the phanteks bracket and mod it to mount higher up.

Z brackets would be a great idea had I cut the whole thing out.

I did cut the bottom out, but I didn't do a precise job of it. I cut just enough out that it allows airflow for 3 120 fans. But there is still enough meat for the fans to be mounted there. I thought of mounting a rad to the bottom and using fans in pull or putting the rad inside the case and putting fans on the bottom to push. Either way, I'd need a lift kit of sorts and filters. I think I'm going to modify to try the phanteks bracket and mod it to mount higher up.

Z brackets would be a great idea had I cut the whole thing out.

Find yourself a friend with a 3D Printer! have him/her create the adapter bracket for you and print it in ABS.

I'm currently using the Phanteks adapter but I'm working on a 3D Printed version which holds TWO cards (because I have the M.2 Expander Card with my MSI Creation)

As far as a lift kit is concerned, you can also have some taller "feet" printed and mount them to the bottom of the case. The one thing about my case I don't like is the lack a space to put your hands under the bottom.

You have to tip the case up to reach under it and grab the case from the bottom. With 3D Printed "feet" you don't need one "long" one going all the way across in the back and front...you can do 4 individual feet with each one going roughly a third of the way across which leave you a way to reach under the case to move it

Find yourself a friend with a 3D Printer! have him/her create the adapter bracket for you and print it in ABS.

I'm currently using the Phanteks adapter but I'm working on a 3D Printed version which holds TWO cards (because I have the M.2 Expander Card with my MSI Creation)

As far as a lift kit is concerned, you can also have some taller "feet" printed and mount them to the bottom of the case. The one thing about my case I don't like is the lack a space to put your hands under the bottom.

You have to tip the case up to reach under it and grab the case from the bottom. With 3D Printed "feet" you don't need one "long" one going all the way across in the back and front...you can do 4 individual feet with each one going roughly a third of the way across which leave you a way to reach under the case to move it

Ha ha, that is way too much work man. Outside of larger legs, I don't think I'll be getting into that. I don't know anyone with a 3D printer. I'll bet you could make some money 3D printing parts for the O11 dynamic. Let me know if you ever go into that.

I watched this video again:

And even though he doesn't test this setup, at around 8 minutes he thinks the best scenario for two radiators, one for cpu and one for gpu, would be 3 intake fans at the bottom and radiator exhausting out the side and top.

So, my idea is to leave my 3 Corsair LL120s as intakes on the bottom, vertically mount my gpu which is using a NZXT Kraken G12 and Asetek 570LX (240 mm AIO) to exhaust out the side, and put my incoming Corsair H150i pro XT as a top exhaust. I'm thinking vertically mounting the gpu will help with airflow from bottom to top as the card will no longer be basically a wall blocking two of the fans. There should be airflow on both sides, getting more fresh air across the motherboard.

On the Asetek 570LX exhausting out the side, I'd like to run push/pull if possible, using LL120s as push just for aesthetics and hiding two Noctua AF 12x25s in pull that will do the bulk of the work. That will put me at 10 case fans. :ROFLMAO:

I realize I'll be running negative pressure with 3 in and 5 out, but in reality after accounting for the restriction from the radiators, I may be closer to even.

Edit: Maybe 13 case fans if I put the 3 ML120s that ship with the H150 in pull and use 3 LL120s in push for aesthetics.

Last edited:
Back