PC is BSODing... could use some suggestions

Viper87227

Fully [H]
Well.. this sure is strange. A week ago, my sisters PC was working fine. She went on a trip to meet a friend, during this time, her PC sat off. She came home... didn't work.

Windows started up, but explorer stopped responding, so she restarted the computer. But...then, it would just BSOD when windows was loading. Every time. It doesnt stay on the BSOD screen, so I cannot get any info from it.

Well... really about the only thing I could do at that point was run memtest and see if there was instability somewhere (no OCing). Well, after a few minutes of memtest, the PC would just shut off. Tried it three times. No errors in memtest, but the PC would shut off after a few minutes.

So, I took it down into the basement, so I could try swapping in other hardware. Just for shits, I game memtest another go. This time, no restarting. I let it test for about 3 hours, and it had no errors, no rebooting. So, I figured I'd give windows a shot. BSOD... I cant get into safe mode either. At this point, I don't have many options, and she would REALLY like to avoid a format if its something software based.

So, any suggestions? Other hardware it could be. I really don't have much else to go around. Its a 754, and I have no other 754 CPU's or mobos to swap in. I could try a new video card and PSU... but I doubt its either of those.

Needless to say, shes being pissy about it... I just want it fixed. Ideas?

If you'll hit the f8 key (a few times?) after the initial BIOS/POST screen, it should bring up another menu. You can tell the system not to reboot on the error. I don't remember the exact wording but you should be able to figure out. Once you get that, reboot again and you should be able to read the error message. Can probably help you more from there. Good luck.

metaliman said:
If you'll hit the f8 key (a few times?) after the initial BIOS/POST screen, it should bring up another menu. You can tell the system not to reboot on the error. I don't remember the exact wording but you should be able to figure out. Once you get that, reboot again and you should be able to read the error message. Can probably help you more from there. Good luck.

That would be Last Know Good configuration... and I tried that numerous times.

Viper87227 said:
That would be Last Know Good configuration... and I tried that numerous times.
Actually what I'm talking about is called "Disable automatic restart on system failure". So no, I wouldn't be talking about "Last known good configuration". If you choose "Disable automatic restart on system failure", instead of the computer rebooting because of a BSOD. It'll just hang on the blue screen so you can read the error. Windows is set to reboot by default (most times?) on the error, which makes it pretty much impossible to see the error at all. Corrupted hive files and corrupted MBR's have been the most common issue I've run into on BSOD errors at startup, but I'm sure the possibilities of what is wrong are endless. Not trying to argue though, just trying to help.

What happens if you try to boot into a Linux LiveCD?

Was the computer plugged into a surge protector while she was on vaction? or unplugged from the wall while she was on vacation?

Have you checked the PSU voltages under "load" ( like when booting, or running memtest)?

metaliman said:
Actually what I'm talking about is called "Disable automatic restart on system failure". So no, I wouldn't be talking about "Last known good configuration". If you choose "Disable automatic restart on system failure", instead of the computer rebooting because of a BSOD. It'll just hang on the blue screen so you can read the error. Windows is set to reboot by default (most times?) on the error, which makes it pretty much impossible to see the error at all. Corrupted hive files and corrupted MBR's have been the most common issue I've run into on BSOD errors at startup, but I'm sure the possibilities of what is wrong are endless. Not trying to argue though, just trying to help.

My bad. I have never even heard of that... and its not at option on my boot menu :confused:

metallicafan said:
What happens if you try to boot into a Linux LiveCD?

Was the computer plugged into a surge protector while she was on vaction? or unplugged from the wall while she was on vacation?

Have you checked the PSU voltages under "load" ( like when booting, or running memtest)?

Haven't tried linux. It was plugged into a surge protector. And no,I haven't checked PSU voltages. When it started shutting off durning memtest, I thought it might be the PSU... but then that doesn't really explain why just moving it down stairs would have allowed memtest to run fine. The only thing that changed was the side panel was off... but I really don't think the system was overheating, as her room is always freezing in winter.

Viper87227 said:
its not at option on my boot menu :confused:

Right click My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Startup and Recovery>Settings, uncheck the Automatically Restart box and hit ok.

digital_exhaust said:
Right click My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Startup and Recovery>Settings, uncheck the Automatically Restart box and hit ok.

Which you'll only get to if it lets you into safe mode after hitting F8 since you can't get into Windows at the moment.

digital_exhaust said:

Unless I misunderstood he cant get into Windows to set this option.

Sometimes PSUs that are going bad will work fine one minute and then not work the next.

Since you have the problem in memtest it leads me to believe that this isn't a Windows problem. It would seem to be a hardware problem. Unless the memtest problem was a fluke. Can you replicate this memtest crash again?

metallicafan said:
Unless I misunderstood he cant get into Windows to set this option.

Yep, thanks all, I got that part. I also got the part where he indicated that he had never even heard of that option, and I thought it may be useful for the op in the future.

Having stop errors is really handy, don't you think??

My bet is a failing PSU or an overheat problem.
Overheat because having the side panel off lets the system run. Check CPU fan/heatsink and case fans and GPU fan if she has one.
PSU failure due to the fact it BSODs when extra stress is added (Windows startup, etc.). The difference in upstairs vs basement could be better house voltage in basement helping PSU cope.

My $0.02

Still not sure what it was... but it looks to be fixed. I did a reinstall of windows (not a format.. she didnt want to loose her pictures and shit)... but everything appears to be running smoothly. Gunna let prime run for a few hours to make sure.

CoachB said:
My bet is a failing PSU...
I 2nd that. The only times I've seen PC's suddenly go bad from having not been used is from a dying/dead PSU. It infact happened to me again very recently. I have a 2nd PC that I shoved in a dirt cheap and crappy psu into. It was flaky from the start and then one day just refused to power on. Put a new PSU in there and all was well.

Typically, the PC just shutting off is nearly always the PSU. Real BSOD's, crashing apps etc that generate error messages are normally cpu/ram related.

So yeah, I reckon it's the PSU. It may be fine again now randomly, but it'll probably fail again. If you have a spare PSU you can test it with that'd be the best thing.

Back