PC guy. Bought my first Mac for Dev work....Surprised

Lifelite

Supreme [H]ardness
Just bought my first MBP. I found a really solid ebay deal for a 13" MBP with the touch-bar thing, 2.9Ghz i5, etc ($1200). I needed something for my freelance web development stuff (I needed to learn the OS anyways). I am not a fan of Apple, and buying it made me cringe...but now I'm pleasantly surprised.

I'm loving the keyboard...thought I'd hate it seeing I exclusively use mechanical keyboards, but the feel of the switches are very mechanical-like to me. Doesn't have that "mushy" feeling most non-mech keyboards have.

The display, gorgeous. I don't think I own another display with this excellent color reproduction and accuracy.

Overall the design of it is pretty solid, many things I though would bother me weren't an issue at all. The 30 bucks for adapters was a bit annoying, but I don't really have much that needs to be connected. OSX is zippy and simple..makes me feel stupid when using it because I'm so used to windows, and anything on here is very simple to figure out if you force yourself to forget how it works in Windows.

The touchbar...very cool, but I haven't found a way for it to be useful. It only works for certain apps...most of which I don't use. If it worked for chrome or atom, that alone could be great but I haven't found a way to install 3rd party plugins to make it work.

In conclusion, good purchase...I think the retail amount is overpriced, but that's to be expected of Apple...you don't go out and buy designer stuff and expect it to be fairly priced. If anyone has some pro tips regarding the touchbar, or just tips for a first time Mac user in general, I'd appreciate it :)

PC guy here as well, I recently picked up a used 2011 15" mbp myself and like you. I actually love it. The screen on mine is gorgeous so the new ones must be close to a visual orgasm. FWIW I love my laptop for daily driving. (i also put windows 10 on mine incase I actually need to get some work done and dont want to learn the way on OSX)

PC guy here as well, I recently picked up a used 2011 15" mbp myself and like you. I actually love it. The screen on mine is gorgeous so the new ones must be close to a visual orgasm. FWIW I love my laptop for daily driving. (i also put windows 10 on mine incase I actually need to get some work done and dont want to learn the way on OSX)
I still have my PC and I still prefer it over the MBP...but that being said, I don't prefer a windows laptop over my MBP. The screen IS orgasmic...Super rich colors and if you desire, the brightness can be set high enough to be viewable from space it seems...without loss of color accuracy somehow.

I still have my PC and I still prefer it over the MBP...but that being said, I don't prefer a windows laptop over my MBP. The screen IS orgasmic...Super rich colors and if you desire, the brightness can be set high enough to be viewable from space it seems...without loss of color accuracy somehow.

That's basically how I feel. For a desktop? PC all the way, but for a laptop? Mac! With windows based laptops it always seems like you are compromising between battery life, performance, build quality and a trackpad worth a damn. That said I think Apple went full retard with the pricing on the latest MacBook's, I would not buy them new personally.

I used to be a PC only guy, only having mac's when needed for graphical people. When development started out, a lot of my guys started switching to Mac, I am now almost exclusively on Mac. I haven't gotten a touchbar MBP yet, but I have a Trashcan MP and a loaded 15" MBP. I am upset with apple for one reason there isn't 32GB of RAM on the new MBP, when that gets here I will upgrade.

I was a desktop PC/Mac laptop guy for almost 10 years, but ditched my 2016 MBP for a 2017 Dell XPS 15. I wasn't at all unhappy with my MBP, but rarely did anything with OS X. The new XPS line is as well built as any MBP I've owned and the 4K touch screen is immaculate. I plan to pick up a 12" MacBook with my tax refund, though.

I was a desktop PC/Mac laptop guy for almost 10 years, but ditched my 2016 MBP for a 2017 Dell XPS 15. I wasn't at all unhappy with my MBP, but rarely did anything with OS X. The new XPS line is as well built as any MBP I've owned and the 4K touch screen is immaculate. I plan to pick up a 12" MacBook with my tax refund, though.

I have had almost every product that Apple makes other than the watch, can't stand not being able to wear it for more than a day without charging, and while I loved the 12" MB, I really love my iPad Pro 12.9". I have the Logi backlit keyboard, and for a lightweight computing device to me it is superior to the MB. I use the iPad Pro with Duet all the time as a second display while on the road, and can't tell you how hand that is. I still have a smaller iPad Pro for just the iPad experience but with the Pencil and everything else I like this combination.

I have had almost every product that Apple makes other than the watch, can't stand not being able to wear it for more than a day without charging, and while I loved the 12" MB, I really love my iPad Pro 12.9". I have the Logi backlit keyboard, and for a lightweight computing device to me it is superior to the MB. I use the iPad Pro with Duet all the time as a second display while on the road, and can't tell you how hand that is. I still have a smaller iPad Pro for just the iPad experience but with the Pencil and everything else I like this combination.
That's a very interesting way to use an iPad. I need access to a command line/terminal though, I do a good portion of work in that environment. Also I just can't use a touchscreen...I really don't like them outside of my phone.

As Lifelite noted, that's a unique way to use a tablet. I'm not much of a tablet guy, though. I have a Samsung Tab S2 and only use it for watching Netflix, Amazon, etc. and reading e-books. I've used it even less since upgrading to an iPhone 7 Plus, in January.

They're solid products. OS is pretty nice. Fellow developer here (full stack), and more of a linux/unix guy so I get along with OS X pretty well.

They're just not always a great value.

I have a 13" mid 2014 Macbook Pro and it feels great typing on it and the screen is gorgeous, compared to other laptops I've used in the past.
I usually use a mouse on laptops since I can't stand the touchpads, but on the Mac, the touchpad just feels great with the way it operates, so I don't use a mouse on the MacBook.

I have a 2011 Macbook Air 11" with the Sandy Bridge chipset. I've had it since release. Cost 1500 AUD for the 'i7' model. 4GB of RAM, 128GB SSD storage. measly 5 hour (more like 3.5 now) battery. 720p display.

....Has not missed a beat. Period. Still works fine, no hardware issues cept what I thought was a power brick/battery issue, but has resolved itself somehow!?

It's still as fast and responsive as the day I got it. And I have to say, when I DID use bootcamp (windows 7, haven't since bothered), it was a smooth experience. Everything just worked.

I've even dropped the damn thing and dented a corner has not affected anything (was on the hinge side).

I'm a PC user primarily, but I've never knocked on Mac/apple quality. BUT prices are ridiculous. In Aus, the entry level (no touch bar) macbook pro 13" is 2.2k STARTING PRICE. F'in rip off. My brother just got a 13.3" FHD Asus ultrabook/zenbook for 1100 with a 512GB SSD i5, 8GB RAM...

iPhone on the other hand, I'd never buy, too locked down for my personal travel device. Or an iMac/Mac Pro (Let's be real, the hardware in the Mac Pro trash can is however many generations old and costs WAYYYYYYYYYYYY too much).

I have a 2011 Macbook Air 11" with the Sandy Bridge chipset. I've had it since release. Cost 1500 AUD for the 'i7' model. 4GB of RAM, 128GB SSD storage. measly 5 hour (more like 3.5 now) battery. 720p display.

....Has not missed a beat. Period. Still works fine, no hardware issues cept what I thought was a power brick/battery issue, but has resolved itself somehow!?

It's still as fast and responsive as the day I got it. And I have to say, when I DID use bootcamp (windows 7, haven't since bothered), it was a smooth experience. Everything just worked.

I've even dropped the damn thing and dented a corner has not affected anything (was on the hinge side).

I'm a PC user primarily, but I've never knocked on Mac/apple quality. BUT prices are ridiculous. In Aus, the entry level (no touch bar) macbook pro 13" is 2.2k STARTING PRICE. F'in rip off. My brother just got a 13.3" FHD Asus ultrabook/zenbook for 1100 with a 512GB SSD i5, 8GB RAM...

iPhone on the other hand, I'd never buy, too locked down for my personal travel device. Or an iMac/Mac Pro (Let's be real, the hardware in the Mac Pro trash can is however many generations old and costs WAYYYYYYYYYYYY too much).
Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

the trade off for apple laptops is price. they're double the price of an equivalent pc where you may have to make only one or two compromiseson battery life, build quality, noise, etc

Just bought my first MBP. I found a really solid ebay deal for a 13" MBP with the touch-bar thing, 2.9Ghz i5, etc ($1200). I needed something for my freelance web development stuff (I needed to learn the OS anyways). I am not a fan of Apple, and buying it made me cringe...but now I'm pleasantly surprised.

I'm loving the keyboard...thought I'd hate it seeing I exclusively use mechanical keyboards, but the feel of the switches are very mechanical-like to me. Doesn't have that "mushy" feeling most non-mech keyboards have.

The display, gorgeous. I don't think I own another display with this excellent color reproduction and accuracy.

Overall the design of it is pretty solid, many things I though would bother me weren't an issue at all. The 30 bucks for adapters was a bit annoying, but I don't really have much that needs to be connected. OSX is zippy and simple..makes me feel stupid when using it because I'm so used to windows, and anything on here is very simple to figure out if you force yourself to forget how it works in Windows.

The touchbar...very cool, but I haven't found a way for it to be useful. It only works for certain apps...most of which I don't use. If it worked for chrome or atom, that alone could be great but I haven't found a way to install 3rd party plugins to make it work.

In conclusion, good purchase...I think the retail amount is overpriced, but that's to be expected of Apple...you don't go out and buy designer stuff and expect it to be fairly priced. If anyone has some pro tips regarding the touchbar, or just tips for a first time Mac user in general, I'd appreciate it :)

I can't bring myself to get a Mac because of the cost and I can't stand some practices by the company, but their products are well designed to be good.

I have heard a lot of mixed feelings about the touchbar. Ironically some of my very pro Mac developer friends hate it. I thought it was a pretty cool idea. I believe there are more apps that can use it than you realize. Some apps have it turned off by default, but if you look in their menu, they may have a "Customize Touch Bar" option to allow you to turn it on or configure it for that application. There are some drawbacks to it, like draining battery, which causes them to auto turn it off after a few minutes. Also its fairly new, so there is not a lot of mature integrated functions for it in apps.

Just purchased a 15" MBP off of eBay for $2069, few hundred less than Apple.com and no tax. So far I love it, haven't used the touch bar all that much but the display is beautiful and the thing just flies. Probably more than a comparable PC laptop but I cannot bring myself to using Windows anymore these days. Microsoft is just tossing Windows into the trashcan with all the advertising.

Just purchased a 15" MBP off of eBay for $2069, few hundred less than Apple.com and no tax. So far I love it, haven't used the touch bar all that much but the display is beautiful and the thing just flies. Probably more than a comparable PC laptop but I cannot bring myself to using Windows anymore these days. Microsoft is just tossing Windows into the trashcan with all the advertising.
I have the base model 15" 2016 I use for work. It's not a bad piece of metal for sure. I'm only irked cuz the benchmarks produce lower numbers than my 2013 15" Retina. I've not really bought into the whole "well, it benches lower, but performs better in daily use" idea. I *am* kinda shopping for a 2016, but it would be the up-spec 2.7ghz/512GB/Radeon 455 model. eBay isn't being kind with them tho.

I do IT support and I have to support Macs sometimes, but I don't like them at all.
Only had maybe two of them in the last couple of years though (not counting setting up email on iPhones).

Setup VPN on an iPad and the other thing was a printing issue on a Mac desktop.

Even though most stuff is simple, I still find them very frustrating to use.

I keep wanting to right-click the mouse but then I remember I have to go dig through
a ton of menu items to find what I want.

Between the inefficient user interface and the sky high prices, I have no interest at all.
Ever.

Good to hear you like yours though. :)

I have the 2016 MBP's and MB's. They're only used when I need to.

The keyboard is an acquired taste, I've no real functioal issues but I think it will result in longer-term problems for anyone, even touch typists - I see similar problemsas with long-term mech users (I love how it's popular again and everyone's forgotten about the giant raft of RSI incidents in the 80's and 90's that ironically became much less of a thing with cheaper / laptop keyboards. What can you say - people have short memories) who're also again ironically most likely to praise the Apple keyboard.

It's got no genuine dealbreakers for most though so it's a good pick for people who tend to make bad choices when given a choice.

Now the Surface Book on the other hand, I use every day. It's an awesome machine.

Last edited:
I have the 2016 MBP's and MB's. They're only used when I need to.

The keyboard is an acquired taste, I've no real functioal issues but I think it will result in longer-term problems for anyone, even touch typists - I see similar problemsas with long-term mech users (I love how it's popular again and everyone's forgotten about the giant raft of RSI incidents in the 80's and 90's that ironically became much less of a thing with cheaper / laptop keyboards. What can you say - people have short memories) who're also again ironically most likely to praise the Apple keyboard.

It's got no genuine dealbreakers for most though so it's a good pick for people who tend to make bad choices when given a choice.

Now the Surface Book on the other hand, I use every day. It's an awesome machine.
Mech keyboards today vs the ones from the 80s and 90s are a bit different. There's a much larger variety, with different actuation points and positioning, type of switches.

Plus I remember the RSI concerns from back then, and if I recall correctly, there wasn't really a ton of evidence to determine if it was correlation vs causation. I know from personal use that membrane keyboards cause more strain and fatigue on my hands vs mechanical.

I keep wanting to right-click the mouse but then I remember I have to go dig through
a ton of menu items to find what I want.

I can't interpret this. If you use a PC mouse, the right button works as normal. If you use an Apple Mouse, you can easily set the right side to be a right click (it's three clicks to set from the desktop). On the touchpad two finger press is right-click by default, and it can be set to tap-to-click or the lower right corner.

If this is too hard for you, maybe you should get some additional training from your employer?

Mech keyboards today vs the ones from the 80s and 90s are a bit different. There's a much larger variety, with different actuation points and positioning, type of switches.

Plus I remember the RSI concerns from back then, and if I recall correctly, there wasn't really a ton of evidence to determine if it was correlation vs causation. I know from personal use that membrane keyboards cause more strain and fatigue on my hands vs mechanical.

It's rather amusing that you'd defend mechs as being very varied, and completely ignore the fact that domes also differ immensely. Thus are niche enthusiasts made though, lol

It's rather amusing that you'd defend mechs as being very varied, and completely ignore the fact that domes also differ immensely. Thus are niche enthusiasts made though, lol
Didn't ignore it, just found it irrelevant...and I'm still not sure why it would be relevant to the point I was making.

I can't interpret this. If you use a PC mouse, the right button works as normal. If you use an Apple Mouse, you can easily set the right side to be a right click (it's three clicks to set from the desktop). On the touchpad two finger press is right-click by default, and it can be set to tap-to-click or the lower right corner.

If this is too hard for you, maybe you should get some additional training from your employer?

Lol..... never seen a two button Apple mouse, but then again I try to stay away from all things Apple.

Been in the biz over 30 years though, so have learned enough about Apple products to be very sure I don't like them.
I've actually worked on some very early Apple equipment, still have a "Mac-cracker" to open cases around someplace.

I would ask for some free training from my employer, but that would be me, so not gonna happen.
But thanks for the personal slam, about what I would expect from an Apple fanboi. :rolleyes:

I'll have to learn to not post in threads linked from the front page, I can accidentally land in yucky places.
Like the Mac forum. :D

Lol..... never seen a two button Apple mouse, but then again I try to stay away from all things Apple.

Been in the biz over 30 years though, so have learned enough about Apple products to be very sure I don't like them.
I've actually worked on some very early Apple equipment, still have a "Mac-cracker" to open cases around someplace.

I would ask for some free training from my employer, but that would be me, so not gonna happen.
But thanks for the personal slam, about what I would expect from an Apple fanboi. :rolleyes:

I'll have to learn to not post in threads linked from the front page, I can accidentally land in yucky places.
Like the Mac forum. :D

My safe space is GenMay.

The current models have a single surface area which is touch-sensitive, so the OS has a button that makes the right side into a right click. It's painless to configure and works perfectly. As the mouse is a touch surface, scrolling can be done by just sliding fingers on it like a trackpad. It's ergonomically a nightmare, but for non-constant use it's very convenient and cool.

I've been doing 'the biz' for a similar amount of time, but without any prejudices over what platforms I use or work on. To me computers are computers, whatever software is on them or whoever's name is on the chassis, it's still something to build, fix, upgrade, decommission, recycle, or whatever. My home setup has Macs on one side and PCs on the other. I *never* base my opinions on one from beliefs about the other. Macs and PCs have their pros and cons and I can enjoy and be productive with both with an understanding of that.

The current models have a single surface area which is touch-sensitive, so the OS has a button that makes the right side into a right click. It's painless to configure and works perfectly. As the mouse is a touch surface, scrolling can be done by just sliding fingers on it like a trackpad. It's ergonomically a nightmare, but for non-constant use it's very convenient and cool.

I've been doing 'the biz' for a similar amount of time, but without any prejudices over what platforms I use or work on. To me computers are computers, whatever software is on them or whoever's name is on the chassis, it's still something to build, fix, upgrade, decommission, recycle, or whatever. My home setup has Macs on one side and PCs on the other. I *never* base my opinions on one from beliefs about the other. Macs and PCs have their pros and cons and I can enjoy and be productive with both with an understanding of that.

Great reply, and +1 throughout.

Personally, MacOS just shits all over WindowsOS when it comes to ease of use (plus convenience items like handoff). I used to be a die-hard Windows guy, but it's been tough to go back after using MacBook's (not to mention the fit/finish of the systems). Now...the Dell XPS line is absolutely fantastic, and I just bought myself an XPS 13 to use as a personal advice, and it's really winning me over with its design and fantastic keyboard.

Not to turn this into too much of a Mac love fest, but part of why I continue to use Macs is that there just isn't as much of that chronic flakiness that you see with Windows PCs.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great pre-assembled Windows PCs, and of course you can sometimes build your own. But it still seems like there's a lot of things to deal with. Oh, this laptop is great, but the trackpad drivers are sketchy, I spent half an hour uninstalling bloatware, and the battery life is half as long as promised. And hope you don't mind the occasional sales pitch from Windows itself!

It's not so much that any one thing is terrible as that these are things you don't deal with on the Mac side. Macs occasionally have defects; the software sometimes has bugs; occasionally Apple makes silly hardware or software decisions. But it feels like I spend less time grappling with my system and more time actually using it. That, to me, is worth a premium.

Not to turn this into too much of a Mac love fest, but part of why I continue to use Macs is that there just isn't as much of that chronic flakiness that you see with Windows PCs.
I do Windows and Mac deployments at work and in that regard they each have their flaky. Once one starts doing "not Soccer Mom stuff" on a Mac the stability and intuitiveness go right out the window. That said, Macs generally deploy much quicker since we don't need to wipe the preloaded OS right away. Apple has no issue changing stuff between point releases though, so unlike Windows 10 where my scripts haven't changed much since the initial 2015 release (which was mostly Win8 scripts), macOS can break previously-working scripts at any point release. Most of it is simple Apple deciding "nope, you can't do that anymore" and I have to figure out how to get around it.

We are also seeing hardware flaky with Macs now. We had the 2011 MacBook Pros with failing GPUs, where we got just over *50* logic boards replaced, including my personal 17" MBP. They were all free. We're also dealing now with the Retinas experiencing antiglare delamination, we're getting those all done and it's another bunch of trips to the Apple Store (all of those are free too). Now we have 2016 MBPs with Bluetooth issues. It's hardly smooth sailing.

I do Windows and Mac deployments at work and in that regard they each have their flaky. Once one starts doing "not Soccer Mom stuff" on a Mac the stability and intuitiveness go right out the window. That said, Macs generally deploy much quicker since we don't need to wipe the preloaded OS right away. Apple has no issue changing stuff between point releases though, so unlike Windows 10 where my scripts haven't changed much since the initial 2015 release (which was mostly Win8 scripts), macOS can break previously-working scripts at any point release. Most of it is simple Apple deciding "nope, you can't do that anymore" and I have to figure out how to get around it.

We are also seeing hardware flaky with Macs now. We had the 2011 MacBook Pros with failing GPUs, where we got just over *50* logic boards replaced, including my personal 17" MBP. They were all free. We're also dealing now with the Retinas experiencing antiglare delamination, we're getting those all done and it's another bunch of trips to the Apple Store (all of those are free too). Now we have 2016 MBPs with Bluetooth issues. It's hardly smooth sailing.

The 2011 MacBook Pro flakiness was something that was all too common with NVIDIA at the time, unfortunately, but yeah, Apple isn't immune to shipping products with defects. It's more that it tends to avoid the problems that will bug you every time you use your computer, like buggy trackpads or constant ad/app nagging.

I'm of a mixed mind when it comes to Apple's compatibility. It's annoying that it'll break compatibility more frequently than Microsoft, but at the same time... it's also not a slave to legacy support like Microsoft is. The company has a huge problem with corporate customers who've refused to move off of Windows XP or 7 because they insist on running a 15- or 20-year-old app that won't work on anything newer. Not that Microsoft should emulate Apple and make serious under-the-hood changes with minor point releases, but it has to be unafraid of pissing off some accounting firm in Boise just because they don't want to move to modern software.

And how many Windows laptops do you see in service still after 5yrs?

My 2010 Macbook Pro had the GPU failure but it was fixed under warranty and honestly it was something Apple could not have planned for other than using leaded solder which is banned now.

And how many Windows laptops do you see in service still after 5yrs?
Actually, a lot. Sure the cheapo $399 models of the day probably didn't last long, but anything in the same quality/price tier as the Macs can easily still be working. I have a 2010 Dell Precision m6500 on my desk, it works perfectly. Any well-maintained Lenovo ThinkPad from the 2010-2013 timeframe has little reason to not work, and not still be productive.

Many other brands don't age as well as Macs.. a 2011 MacBook Pro still looks semi-modern, whereas a 2011 ThinkPad... nnnnnnot quite so much?

Actually, a lot. Sure the cheapo $399 models of the day probably didn't last long, but anything in the same quality/price tier as the Macs can easily still be working. I have a 2010 Dell Precision m6500 on my desk, it works perfectly. Any well-maintained Lenovo ThinkPad from the 2010-2013 timeframe has little reason to not work, and not still be productive.

Many other brands don't age as well as Macs.. a 2011 MacBook Pro still looks semi-modern, whereas a 2011 ThinkPad... nnnnnnot quite so much?

I haven't seen many Windows laptops last past 3 years unless they are wiped clean and start again. In fact I bet that is why most people just buy new ones because it bogs down in 6 months.

I bought my 1st Mac, a 15" MBPr in early 2013 and I can only say it never let me down till today. Apple replaced 2 retina screens on it, 1x during warranty and the 2nd one just a few month ago outside warranty at no cost. The software is cheaper in if I had multiplke Macs it would even pay back as you can use most software on multiple machines without additional lic costs. I own and owned a bunch of gaming laptops and Dell WS laptops and NONE came or comes close to it's ease of use. Whenever I can I use that machine for anything it can do, prefer it over any other Windows or Linux machine I run, hands down.

I am not the "Apple lover" nor am I a hater, I use MS OSX and Linux all the time. OSX convinced me through its simplicity and stableness. Never seen a device that went to sleep and wake up everytime I did it over years. I never regretted paying almost 3k€ for that device, I love it above all machines I own, even above this 5GHz 7700k.

What I miss is a 32GB option on it as I use VMware but I can get around with 16GB.

No issues with my MBP 13", I never intended to do any heavy lifting with it and just use it to browse or travel with.

I can't bring myself to get a Mac because of the cost and I can't stand some practices by the company, but their products are well designed to be good.

I have heard a lot of mixed feelings about the touchbar. Ironically some of my very pro Mac developer friends hate it. I thought it was a pretty cool idea. I believe there are more apps that can use it than you realize. Some apps have it turned off by default, but if you look in their menu, they may have a "Customize Touch Bar" option to allow you to turn it on or configure it for that application. There are some drawbacks to it, like draining battery, which causes them to auto turn it off after a few minutes. Also its fairly new, so there is not a lot of mature integrated functions for it in apps.

There isn't a damn thing to hate about the touch bar. Wtf is wrong with people. Some people would complain about a zit even if it was oozing gold puss.

There isn't a damn thing to hate about the touch bar. Wtf is wrong with people. Some people would complain about a zit even if it was oozing gold puss.

A lot of people work heavily with the keyboard and never look down. Looking down lowers APM. Simply not having a physical ESC key lowers APM.
Additionally not every app supports the touch bar.

I think most people would've been significantly more happy if Apple didn't remove the function keys and instead had the touchbard as a row above the function keys. That method would have been the best of both worlds. Certainly after the reactions of a lot of grinder users it will be interesting to see what the next gen iMac keyboard (with touchbar) looks like, as well as the next iteration of the Macbook Pro. Perhaps they'll take that approach.

I finally bought my first MacBook Pro 13.3" MF839LL/A. I've got a good deal on ebay for an almost brand new one. It's fantastic for work. When I go back to Windows now I feel like I'm going to get diarrhea.

Back