PC Gaming Picking Up Again

Blackstone

2[H]4U
built a new rig. See sig. Lots of PC gamer madness at the local microcenter. They are in the build your own PC section in droves. Fun place to visit.

Got my PC hooked up to a choice 1080p plasma with gorgeous black levels and color. very low input lag.

Games purchased in the past few weeks:

Mortal Kombat X
grand Theft Auto V
Black Mesa
Witcher 3
Metro

I must say playing GTAV maxed is a next gen feeling experience. Witcher III scratches a certainc Skyrim type itch for adventure. Mortal Kombat X revives an old favorite franchise.

Looking forward to battlefront.

All this before DX12. I think there are good things in store for the hobby. Was getting board but can barely get away from the screen these days!

Grats on your new build. I'm looking forward to DX12 as well. If it could bring improvements across console and PC, we should see dev taking advantage of it.

You should also pick up Dying Light, Shadow of Mordor, and Batman Arkham Knight comes out next month.

Black Mesa was early access. It looks great. Load times spoil the whole experience. Even with a SSD.

I have Shadow of Mordor. Fun! Better gameplay than witcher. Ultra street fighter iv is great with the game pad.

Almost time for the Steam Summer Sale I bet. :) And that's a BEAST of a PC you have there!

Well you definitely picked a good time to jump in. Its kind of a unique time in that we got two amazing blockbusters in GTA5 and Witcher 3 back to back. Ordinarily they'd be the type of games people would be grateful to see one of in a year. Here we have two in the span of a couple months.

And thumbs up on Microcenter. Tustin Store, FTW. With the proliferation of online shoppipng habits its one of life's great mysteries how they're able to still be in business.

Last edited:
nice rig!

I see you have a VT60...any issues with image retention or even burn-in?...I have a VT30 (professionally calibrated) and gaming with my PS4 is a challenge...too much image retention...I'm glad I have a dedicated gaming monitor as I would hate gaming on my plasma for extended periods of time

** look at the screen while displaying an all white image otherwise the retention may be hard to notice

It's nice to have so many awesome games to choose from currently. I'm just finishing up GTA V story mode, and it's fucking amazing. And beautiful on max settings. Easily one of my favorite games of all time.

When I finish up the story mode, I've got The Witcher 3 waiting for me in all it's glory. Add in some Dota 2, Diablo 3, Pillars of Eternity, and Star Citizen, and it's a great time to be a gamer.

Really the same as it has been the last 5-8 years. Lots of big name games (lots are fun) & lots of over rated games (GTA, Halo). Most games are continuing the trend of becoming mainstream, hardcore genres pretty much dead. Either generic shooters or a bunch of MMOs/RPGs with mutant witches. :p

Only difference now is there are a lot more crappy indie games. A few gems in the pile though.

Ehhhhhh. I don't know about that.

The Microcenter in Tustin is leaps ahead of Frys Electronics in City of Industry, both locations are in California.

Just my opinion. I cringe at the thought of going into a Frys retail store. Ugh...

MC rocks. Saved gobs of cash on my last 4 Haswell/Z87 combos there.

I'm sort of like that. I get into it for a year or 2, then drop it, then pick it up again and play through a large backlog.

The AAA section may have been slacking off for a while but the indie scene has kept me interested for a long while now.

The AAA section may have been slacking off for a while but the indie scene has kept me interested for a long while now.

Ya that's all I have been playing mostly. I find that indy devs make the kind of game they want instead of what some money crazed publisher wants, and that makes for a better game.

Fry's > Microcenter.

Have you actually stepped inside both stores? Fry's has lots of stuff, but for a PC Gamer, MC has a much better selection. It's about an hour drive for me - Fry's is about 5 minutes closer - but it's where I go now.

I think theyre about the same. Ive got 2 Frys and 2 Microcenters in Atlanta about 2 hours away from me and I hit them every once in a while for a road trip. Microcenter seems to have more stuff but Frys still has plenty. And they have a lot of it out on display for you to test drive and play with. Its been a while since Ive been to either but I remember Microcenter not having as much out for display. Thats not a huge deal on most components but for stuff like keyboards, mice and monitors, Id like to have a look at them outside of the package before I plunk down my cash.

As for PC gaming picking up, Ive been hearing about the death of PC gaming since I started playing on my Commodore 64 back in the early 80's. It may have its ups and downs but I dont think PC gaming is every going to go away. Its too much fun, superior to consoles and we are all stricken with chronic upgraditus and are always buying new toys. :D

Side point but... when the HELL did pcgamer get so popular? I thought they were a dying/struggling magazine, now that they seemed focused on the website they have THOUSANDS of comments on many of the articles. WTF happened ? They blew up.

I don't know but I'm glad they are. I started reading back in 2008 and their "Build the Ultimate Gaming PC" issue (i7-920 and GTX 295) is the reason I decided to try and build my own PC and have been hooked ever since. I was a long time poster on their forums too until they shit canned them last year for some reason. Still, they're a great mag and resource for gaming so I hope they have continued success.

Side point but... when the HELL did pcgamer get so popular? I thought they were a dying/struggling magazine, now that they seemed focused on the website they have THOUSANDS of comments on many of the articles. WTF happened ? They blew up.

PC Gamer magazine was always really popular with enthusiasts. When the internet took off all magazines suffered, especially tech related ones where the information online is more up to date than the magazine. So then magazines tried to copyright images from the magazine as a way to make you purchase the magazine. That didn't last as scanners came along and E books were born. Combine that with torrents and that the magazine revenue stream completely dried up.

So tech magazines learned to have great websites and webpages where game developers and publishers can break news on their latest titles. Giving these magazines a hybrid "breaking news" tie in has created a new ad revenue stream for tech magazines. Youtube exposure adds to their revenue as people that don't even want to read websites can suddenly follow your magazine for the next exclusive game demo.

I wish that the Music Industry could have adapted this fast. Even HBO has it's own app nowadays. :)

Some great resources from around the web. Of course [H]ardocp is number one in my book. :)
http://www.maximumpc.com/
Computer Power User Magazine
PC Gamer
Polygon
DSOGaming
Gamasutra
Eurogamer
Jason Evangelho Blog @Forbes

Short list off the top of my head. :)

Last edited:
Back