PC Games of the past five years?

Acceptable_Risk

[H]ard|Gawd
So, my current machine is limping along on mostly circa-2000 and hand-me-down hardware, so I've missed most of the PC titles that have come out in the last several years. I've got boxes of shiny new hardware winging their way to me as I type, so it's about time to catch up.

I intend to pick up Bioshock and Orange Box along with Oblivion. I imagine there are plenty of great games that should be really affordable right now but which I completely disregarded because they were out of reach of my system.

What else should I look into?

you're starting off on the right track with Bioshock and The Orange Box. I second COD2...great game. Check out F.E.A.R. and play at night with the lights out. :D I'm almost jealous you to experience so many great titles for the first time.

So, my current machine is limping along on mostly circa-2000 and hand-me-down hardware, so I've missed most of the PC titles that have come out in the last several years. I've got boxes of shiny new hardware winging their way to me as I type, so it's about time to catch up.

I intend to pick up Bioshock and Orange Box along with Oblivion. I imagine there are plenty of great games that should be really affordable right now but which I completely disregarded because they were out of reach of my system.

What else should I look into?

A note of caution with Bioshock. It enforces installation limits, so unless you think that's an "Acceptable Risk" (pun intended), do not buy it.

Anyway, my recommendations are: FEAR, Prey, Company of Heroes, Oblivion, Quake Wars (not out yet, but should be soon enough), Need for Speed Most Wanted and Flatout 2.

Far Cry
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
Doom 3

2004 was a very good year for FPS.

BF2 and BF2142. A lot of people call them buggy POS, but i've never had a problem with them. They're both addictive as hell.

Yes I'll say it....Battlefield 2 with Special Forces (or for that matter, BF2142). If you look around you can find BF2 with the expansion and addons for a good price.

There's nothing else I can think of on top of what's been mentioned already.

Dawn of War: Platinum Edition - easily my most favorite RTS... ever
Company of Heroes
Supreme Commander
Civilization IV
Neverwinter Nights 2
Oblivion
Command and Conquer 3

Tried to steer away from all the obvious FPS answers ;) All of these games, except the last two, are easily found at $30 or under.

Max Payne 1 and 2
Deus Ex 1 and 2
Quake 4
Condemned Criminal Origins
Doom 3 and Doom 3 Expansion
F.E.A.R and F.E.A.R Expansion
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Unreal Tournament 2004

That is what came to mind.

I'd also like to note some people dig Medieval II Total War and the expansion, and right now Circuit City has them both on sale for $27.99 + $17.99 respectively, so that's a decent deal... they've also got Medal of Honor Airborne for $37.99, which I enjoyed a lot and is awesome on good hardware.

Some more cheap games to take a look at :D

A note of caution with Bioshock. It enforces installation limits, so unless you think that's an "Acceptable Risk" (pun intended), do not buy it.

Because if you're like most normal gamers, you have 5 computers that you want to install bioshock on, and of course it goes without saying you'll want to uninstall and reinstall the game more than five times on each computer before you start playing. Bioshock won't let you do this normal(and not completely fucking psychotic!) routine so it's really not worth getting.

I'm doing the same thing, except my old computer was from '99! I recommend you get over to FilePlanet and start downloading gigs upon gigabytes of demos. That's what I did, and it helped narrow down my choices.

It's really, really nice buying gold/platinum editions and full games for $20 or $30 now that they've been out a few years. :)

I'd add Knights of the Old Republic 1/2 to the list if you like D&D and Star Wars.

lets see..

last 5 years..

i would probably start with

Jedi Outcast (2002) (12$) or Jedi Academy (i personally like outcast more)
Max Payne 2 (2003) (7$)
Mechwarrior 4 (2002) (7$)
No one lives forever 2 (2002) (7$)
Call of Duty 2 (2005) (13$)

great games that have a great single player (i think MW4 and JO even have a small multi community)

also get either Rome TotalWar (5$) or Medievel Total War (20$) (can't go wrong with either)

and depending on if your a starwars fan or RPG fan get Star wars Knights of the Old Republic (15$) ..

if you like racing get yourself a copy of Colin Mcrea 2005 (i'd hold off on DiRT to see how the new sega rally game is)

depending on your taste multiplayer taste, BF1942 or BF2 are great multiplayer games that have great communities (ofcourse BF42 > BF2)..

i always have great luck in the For Sale/Trade forum here.. just put a WTB thread and list the games you want.. This is a great community for getting older games (sorry none of mine are for sale :) )
or chug on over to www.half.com , they have great prices on some of hte older PC games.. (the above prices are from half.com)

He's buying the Orange Box, which likely means Steam, and if he buys Bioshock via Steam this "risk" is null and void.

I'd say look into these games:

• Medieval 2: Total War + expansion
  • Dawn of War + expansions
  • World in Conflict
  • Neverwinter Nights 2 (expansion releases next month)
  • Company of Heroes (expansion released yesterday)
  • GRAW 2 (avoid the first like the plague)
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
  • FarCry

I'm in much the same boat. I've been battling my wife for funds to slowly build a new gaming rig for the past year, and am so close now I can taste it! While waiting for my new PC, I've been playing some of the older games I've had for awhile but never played, since I was addicted to EverQuest and Morrowind for years.... My current computer is a P4 3.06 GHz "beast" with 512 MB RAM and a GeForce Ti4400 card.

I've recently finished Requiem: Avenging Angel, Quake, Quake II, Unreal, Unreal II, Half-Life with Blue Shift and Opposing Force, and am currently enjoying Deus Ex for the first time. I've got Clive Barker's Undying next on my schedule... I've already got Far Cry, Doom 3, Oblivion, and Quake 4 bought and waiting for the end of October to be played on my new PC (in my signature...only need the motherboard, CPU, and video card).

I've got these games on my "must-by" list:

• Prey
  • Half-Life 2 (Episode 1 & Lost Coast)
  • Painkiller Gold
  • F.E.A.R. Gold Edition
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
  • The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
  • Infernal
  • The Suffering
  • Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil Expansion
  • Shivering Isles: Oblivion Expansion Pack
  • Test Drive Unlimited
  • Condemned: Criminal Origins
  • Bioshock
  • Metal of Honor: Airborne
  • Call of Duty 2
  • Colin McCrae: DiRT
  • Clive Barker's Jericho
  • rFactor

God, I can't freakin' wait!!! AAAAHHHH!!!

if you like RTS then you have to try dawn of war and company of heroes

I've recently finished Requiem: Avenging Angel...

OT, this was the first game i played with a 3D video card. I was in freakin' awe. I played this on an AMD K2 with 3DNow! technology (which never worked for some reason) and a Creative 3D Blaster Banshee video card. Good times. I couldn't for the life of me remember the title of this game until i read your post.

Yeah, it was a fun game with some great firefights. I bought it years ago (1999, I think), but it kind of got lost and sat unused in a drawer for years...

It had great graphics for the time, with decent-looking shadows. I love the angelic power you get, also... "Insist" and "Locusts" being my favorites :).

OT, this was the first game i played with a 3D video card. I was in freakin' awe. I played this on an AMD K2 with 3DNow! technology (which never worked for some reason) and a Creative 3D Blaster Banshee video card. Good times. I couldn't for the life of me remember the title of this game until i read your post.

Any Star Wars games you haven't played, especially KotOR I and II, also Republic Commando and Empires at War + expansion. In addition here to you should CERTAINLY get F.E.A.R., Max Payne 2 is also a winner, GTA:San Andreas for sure and G.R.A.W and / or R6:Vegas.

If you are a RTS person look into Company of Heroes, Dawn of War (Warhammer 40K game) if you fancy the setting, Supreme Commander, the afore (is that even a word?) mentioned Star Wars:Empires at War and Rome:Total War (cool game for empirebuilding).

I'd also like to note some people dig Medieval II Total War and the expansion, and right now Circuit City has them both on sale for $27.99 + $17.99 respectively, so that's a decent deal... they've also got Medal of Honor Airborne for $37.99, which I enjoyed a lot and is awesome on good hardware.

Some more cheap games to take a look at :D

This is a bad ass game! I bought it for $6 bucks from an online storefront that always has deep discounted games each week.

Holy thread necro Batman!

ThreadNecromancer.jpg

ding we have a winner!

Half life 2 Episode 1&2
ES4 Oblivion
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Call of Duty 4
World in Conflict
The Witcher
Bioshock
Fallout 3
GRID